• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone ever built a dedicated home theater/listening room? Did you use an acoustic consultant?

Robonaut

I'm thinking of adding on to my house next year. The addition would specifically be for a home theater/music listening room.

While I'm looking for general thoughts from anyone who's done this, I'm specifically interested to know if you used an acoustic consultant. If you did, who did you use, how much did it cost, and would you do it again?

This firm is located not that far from me (within a day's drive), and seems reputable (not sure if I can afford them, though!):

Raynault Theatre | Pilchner Schoustal International Inc. (pilchner-schoustal.com)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
We used Keith Yates, https://keithyates.com/, for our high-end theater at work when we had that place. This was a $300,000+ theater so it could afford full design from scratch. We used Keith Yates. He does superb work but is at the top of the market. Just for context, the cost of acoustic material alone was $25,000 or something like it! Tony Grimani http://www.msr-inc.com/about/anthony_grimani.html also does good work but I have not used his services. He may also be up there as far as cost but not as much as Keith.

Going beyond this very high end level of experts, you risk getting something that fits their idea of good sound but maybe not yours. Acousticians tends to have their own ideas of what is good sound which may be at odds with what the best research tells us.

I looked at the website of the company you listed. In the 30 seconds I allocated to it :), it is not a company I would use for residential work.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I did, but the only consultant I used was myself. :)

Attached a hand-out I provided my builder as a rough guide. For acoustic treatments, I went heavy, as it is a small'ish room with near-sub-multiple dimensions so had some serious nulls, plus was too "live". I added absorbers at first reflection points on the walls and ceiling, and added thick (12") corner traps.

Attachments

• 2008 Herman Media Room Diagrams reduced.pdf
    654.7 KB · Views: 180

Andysu

Major Contributor
I used myself and cost was far cheaper as I think acousticians is just another Snake Oiling to milk consumers.
I stuffed wedge foam tiles all around the room walls and ceiling as I was depressed hearing that typical short echo reverb sound, not anymore.

Trif

I did build home theaters for people in the '90s. No, I wouldn't do it again. :eek:

I also wired "tempest rooms" for the Navy, which is essentially what the Raynault Theatre is.

Make the room symmetrical, right down to the joists and studs. Your stereo image will thank you. And it would be great if you could add some glue to those joints. If you want to put wires in the walls, use conduits and pull strings like the computer guys, don't staple it down like the electricians do. Parallel walls can be handled with a sloping (stepped?) floor and side walls that converge on the entrance/'projection booth'. Major acoustic enhancements like this are almost free when you're starting from scratch. Future-proof. Equipment might last, but they won't let your chosen format reign for very long. 78, 33, 45, 8-track, cassette, CD, DVD, Bluetooth.... stereo records had a pretty good run, in retrospect.

Top Bottom