• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

home theater in a small room, bookshelf speakers recommendations

OP
G
i only really care abput one listening spot, so would off axis matter that much?

also note i would rather get the es10 then the es20

thank you

staticV3

Master Contributor
i only really care abput one listening spot, so would off axis matter that much?
Unless you're in an anechoic chamber, you want even off-axis response so that both the direct and reflected sound is uncolored.

also note i would rather get the es10 then the es20
I'm aware. The ES10, ES15, and ES20 use the same tweeter, so have the same directivity above the crossover frequency.

Therefore, Amir's ES20 measurements are still relevant.

OP
G
i have an idea:

i am going to wall mount my flat oled tv and i am concerned of speaker size (especially depth) because it would look bad to have big bulky boxes standing so much out next to the flat wall mounted tv. i now have the idea to use 2 flat center speaker bars like the polk es35c vertically as fr and fl, which are much less deep. does that make sense? i could then use a collection of the es 15/10 as surrounds. there is currently a black friday 40 percent of deal on the es35c on amazon...

i am a little concerned since i sit close and its a 60cm bar with 6 woofers. would i even be in the cross over point of all those channels?

Last edited:

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Don't buy 2-way center speakers like the ES35C.
The MTM design is fundamentally flawed.
More Infos here: https://youtu.be/GZrdsxrcpBw

Actually, mounted vertically as he suggests, such a center is not bad in terms of directivity. Just be sure to mount it with the tweeter at ear level.

index.php

OP
G
Actually, mounted vertically as he suggests, such a center is not bad in terms of directivity.

index.php
yeah thats what i was looking at aswell.

however i think the s30c and the es 35c are quite different:

this is what the es35c looks like:

61g1v5NQy5L._AC_UL480_SR480,480_.jpg

staticV3

Master Contributor
Actually, mounted vertically as he suggests, such a center is not bad in terms of directivity. Just be sure to mount it with the tweeter at ear level.

index.php
Mounted vertically, floor bounce and ceiling bounce will be extremely erratic, coloring the sound yet again. You can't win with MTM.

staticV3

Master Contributor
however i think the s30c and the es 35c are quite different:

this is what the es35c looks like:
The ES35C has six woofers playing as high as 2.5kHz. it'll have the same, severe directivity issues as all the others. It's a form over function design.

If you want even directivity in a center design, then the woofers cannot be allowed to play much higher than 300Hz.

Last edited:
OP
G
i get your points, they are very valuable.

however it was 40 percent off, for that price i am willing to try it vertically. it has a free return policy so if i dont like it it will go back.

OP
G
Just wanted to let everyone know that I ordered the Polk and the kef and you were all right, the kef were more detailed, ,,clearer“, better imaging. They stick more out into the room but I find them more stylish then the Polk so its ok. I returned the Polk and will start to build my Setup around the q series. I have 4 so far and it already sounds amazing, I am very happy. Thanks for all of your support!

Top Bottom