• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

home theater in a small room, bookshelf speakers recommendations

Hello,

i am currently building my first ever home theater (7.1.4) in a small 4x3m room. I am mainly concerned about immersion in games with some movie watching here and there. i listen at rather moderate/low levels, so i really dont need speakers with a lot of output. I will use them with a denon x3800h for Auro3D upmixing and dolby atmos. i will have a klipsch rp 1400sw subwoofer, so they dont need good bass extension below 80 or 100hz. what i do need is good detail retrieval and attributes which help creating a convincing wide soundstage and precise imaging.

would be nice if the speakers would be under 500 dolars a pair. it would also be nice to have a white version and dimensions rather on the smaller side. but that is not a must. i am located in europe (germany).

my current favourite is the monitor audio bronze 50, so you get an idea what i am looking for.

any insights and suggestions are much appreciated! :)

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
are you planning on buying the same bookshelf speaker eleven times to populate every channel? Or are you only looking for recommendations for the L/R Mains?

OP
G
i am planning on using the same speaker 11 times yes, maybe with a different center channel though.

Last edited:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is noticeably over your $500/pair ask, but the Genelec 8010 fits your criteria really well and comes in white.

staticV3

Master Contributor
i am planning on using the same speaker 11 times yes, maybe with a different center channel though.
Hm not sure that's a good idea. Usually, it's smarter to get more powerful L/C/R speakers and smaller surrounds.

Putting that aside for now, three compact, white bookshelf speakers in your budget would be the KEF Q150 (400€), the Polk S15 (200€), or the newer ES15 (210€).

KEF Q150 measurments and review: https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/kef_q150/
Polk S15 measurments and review: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...olk-audio-signature-s15-speaker-review.15437/

We don't have measurements of the ES15 yet, but there are some for its bigger brother:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...re-elite-es20-review-bookshelf-speaker.33834/

Edit: all three are basically identical in size and only slightly taller than the Bronze 50
https://comparesizes.com/comparison/Bronze-50-vs-Q150-vs-Polk-S15-vs-ES15/1700165797517

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Hm not sure that's a good idea. Usually, it's smarter to get more powerful L/C/R speakers and smaller surrounds.

Putting that aside for now, three compact, white bookshelf speakers in your budget would be the KEF Q150 (400€), the Polk S15 (200€), or the newer ES15 (210€).

KEF Q150 measurments and review: https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/kef_q150/
Polk S15 measurments and review: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...olk-audio-signature-s15-speaker-review.15437/

We don't have measurements of the ES15 yet, but there are some for its bigger brother:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...re-elite-es20-review-bookshelf-speaker.33834/

Edit: all three are basically identical in size and only slightly taller than the Bronze 50
https://comparesizes.com/comparison/Bronze-50-vs-Q150-vs-Polk-S15-vs-ES15/1700165797517

I was going to recommend three KEF Q350s across the front and KEF Q150s for the rest. That is what I would do if I were building new in a small room. I would add a second sub, however.

OP
G
the kef especially is a very good recommendation from what i am reading. many reviewers mention good soundstage, imaging and detail retrieval capabilities.

the genelec would be perfect, i love that they are so small. however they are a bit expensive and i would have to run power wires from the avr and from the speaker to a power outlet. thats a lot of wires.

OP
G
the genelec option has me hooked. since i find them a bit pricey, i looked for alternatives and found these little guys:

they receive praise all over the net. i am just not sure if they have the same good imaging and soundstage like the genelec and if they wouldnt be too far away (aprox 6 feet), since they are meant for nearfield usually. however they cost half the price of the genelec. any thoughts on those for my situation?

staticV3

Master Contributor
any thoughts on those for my situation?
A bit cumbersome as for each pair, you'd have to find an outlet for a power supply and also route the DC cable in addition to RCA:
2_iLoudMM_white_back.jpg

Also these work as stereo pairs so can't get an uneven amount of them.

Plus they're really not designed for midfield work. I've heard of port chuffing at higher volumes (which might be just normal volumes in midfield).

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Elac DBR62 is on sale for $525.

I'm not sure how good their Atmos add on is but they are on sale for $200

OP
G
A bit cumbersome as for each pair, you'd have to find an outlet for a power supply and also route the DC cable in addition to RCA:
View attachment 326756

Also these work as stereo pairs so can't get an uneven amount of them.

Plus they're really not designed for midfield work. I've heard of port chuffing at higher volumes (which might be just normal volumes in midfield).

thanks a lot for the response!

yes the wiring would be a hassle but i would rather try to find a way to get clean wiring and have small speakera than big boxes all over the place. i found some data which suggests their audio qualities dont degrade until around 90db. i think that would be enough for my use case.

staticV3

Master Contributor
yes the wiring would be a hassle but i would rather try to find a way to get clean wiring and have small speakera than big boxes all over the place.
Understandable. In a room of your size, I'd probably get some bigger speakers for L/C/R and use the Monoprice THX Satellites for the remaining eight surround channels. Perhaps with some white spray paint to get a nicer look.

Here's a review: https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/monoprice_comp_thx_sat/

Now if only those were available in the EU :(

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't notice the post he wanted to use the same speaker 11 times. I was thinking 4 would be height and the surrounds could be smaller. ELAC makes on wall models which could clean it up a bit.

OP
G
i appreciate the replies!

i have a window to one side and door to other so on wall is difficult without breaking up speaker model unity, but good idea.

i really prefer 7 channel bed layer for more directional ques while gaming, its a one seat only set up.

i roughly have 6 foot to each side and front and 1 meter to back. my room isnt symetrical though unfortunately. currently looking for a passive, small but capable solution. a passive, little cheaper genelec type of speaker would be perfect.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
will look into to on wall solutions.

i really prefer 7 channel bed layer for more directional ques while gaming.

i roughly have 6 foot to each side and front and 1 meter to back. my room isnt symetrical though unfortunately. currently looking for a passive, small but capable solution.
So just the one seat at that position I can see 7ch bed layer being an option :) Using boxes on the ceiling how are you planning to mount?

OP
G
i will mount rather on the wall than ceiling since the celing is quite high, what would make the angle too steep at such a small room. also planning to try auro 3d where you rather want flater angles. currently i am looking at the q acoustics 30120i and the kef q150 which would be perfect if they would be a little smaller. really wish there would be a passive genelec type of speaker.

Last edited:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My thought on the iLoud: Possible good for surround channels, but the power cord looks awful and you're going to have power bricks hanging around everywhere. For me a nonstarter. IMO not good enough for LR channels at least.

I think you should try to talk yourself into bigger speakers, and capitalize on the deal of the Elacs. ;)

Top Bottom