• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any measurements for Carver Magnetic Field Power Amplifier M-500

zepplock

Are there any recent measurements of Carver Magnetic Field Power Amplifier M-500?
I'm looking for something with big flashy meters, measures well and is on the budget.

Any other amps that would work?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Recent measurements of an old amp? My M-500 went up in smoke a couple years back after many many years of reliable use or I'd send it in :). Altho I do have a coupla M-500t amps on hand not crazy about shipping them after that experience.

OP
zepplock

zepplock

I'm not asking specifically for Amir measurements, just any indication if those amps have issues with FQ, noise, etc.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Are there any recent measurements of Carver Magnetic Field Power Amplifier M-500?
I'm looking for something with big flashy meters, measures well and is on the budget.

Any other amps that would work?

Personally, I wouldn't consider a M-500. It's 37 years old and is one of those designs that IMO, really shouldn't have seen the light of day. Carver had it OEM'd for them in Japan, so the component quality and build is decent, but the power supply reliability is what killed them off prematurely.

If you find an original unit, it will definitely need rebuilding to be reliable going forward.

OP
zepplock

zepplock

Personally, I wouldn't consider an M-500. It's 37 years old and is one of those designs that IMO, really shouldn't have seen the light of day. Carver had it OEM'd for them in Japan, so the component quality and build is decent, but the power supply reliability is what killed them off prematurely.

If you find an original unit, it will definitely need rebuilding to be reliable going forward.

what other models should I look for on the used market that have good reliable sound with VU meters?

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
1604426631758.png

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Don't bother with the old n tired tho... go with the new hotness instead

1604426934363.png

paddycrow

Forum Donor
I had an M-500t back in the day. I gave it to my nephew, which was a mistake. It was pristine and he pretty much trashed it. Still works, but the case is badly beaten up.

If someone has a nice case with a burned up interior, perhaps the two could be married into a single good piece!

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom