• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any lovers of ambient?

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Eve Online

BillG

Major Contributor
https://12kmusic.bandcamp.com/album/chessa

a2896694053_16.jpg

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I’d consider The Black Dog - Conspiracy Tapes RMX Destruction Day to be their most ambient release, certainly one of my most played over the previous couple years.

About This Album
"This album plots our journey into the dark side of the conspiracy world, revealing some of the people we’ve talked to and others we've simply listened to.

Here we share the edited versions of our first five Conspiracy Tapes. They're not an easy listen and they're not designed to be, but these people and their ideas are real.

It would be easy to laugh and poke fun at these characters, but they're 100% serious and the consequences are very real. People are actually drinking poisons like MMS and Turpentine. Others are dying due to Breatharians. Some resort to suicide because a psychic said that a loved one is waiting. People are losing their families, friends and jobs over this stuff. This is not a joke."

Very apt soundtrack to our current misinformation age

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I've been really digging into ambient for the past year. I'm not entirely sure what the reason is. Just seemed like one day I got an urge to just listen to sound instead of song. I think part of it is I just seemed to have had enough of there being a narrative bolted on top of the music - which is invariably the case when there's lyrics even if they are nonsense lyrics. Also after about 40 years of pretty intense music fandom I finally got a bit tired of the verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus yadda yadda routine. I've gotten into Aphex Twin and Biosphere and Eno. Love Boards of Canada although they aren't exactly ambient I suppose.

That's not to say I don't still listen to all my favorite music from the past of course. I've just found myself quite often in an ambient mood lately. I've come to enjoy (actually, it's almost more of a "need" really) some sound on in the background especially for reading, but it can't be anything too attention-grabbing.

Last edited:

Plan9

John Foxx Cathedral Oceans,...John Foxx/Jon Hassel...
Brian Eno/Jon Hassel....

knownunknown

I've been really digging into ambient for the past year. I'm not entirely sure what the reason is. Just seemed like one day I got an urge to just listen to sound instead of song. I think part of it is I just seemed to have had enough of there being a narrative bolted on top of the music - which is invariably the case when there's lyrics even if they are nonsense lyrics. Also after about 40 years of pretty intense music fandom I finally got a bit tired of the verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus yadda yadda routine. I've gotten into Aphex Twin and Biosphere and Eno. Love Boards of Canada although they aren't exactly ambient I suppose.

That's not to say I don't still listen to all my favorite music from the past of course. I've just found myself quite often in an ambient mood lately. I've come to enjoy (actually, it's almost more of a "need" really) some sound on in the background especially for reading, but it can't be anything too attention-grabbing.

yeah, same here. when i'm drawing or doing some other work i need something going on in the background. listening to ambient/drone music helps me to keep focus. although hard to get on wax, there has been a huge japanese ambient revival in the last few years that i really dug aswell as stuff from contemporary artists like sarah davachi, clarice jensen or h takahashi e.g.

als rip harold budd, one of the goats

Robin L

Master Contributor
I like some ambient but ambient and vinyl crackles don't get along very well.

Managed to start my adventures in Pro Audio preparing digital [Betamax] tapes of collections of Classical music for Music From the Hearts of Space. When I think of all the things I "knew" back then that I had to unlearn . . .

Anyway, back in 1988 I transcribed LPs to [initially] a Tascam 32 Reel to Reel 1/2 track tape recorder, then dubbed the results to a Sony PCM converter that worked with Betamax tapes. The best sounding element in the chain was probably the Thorens 'table, [digital gear wasn't nearly as advanced back then, so the sound of ADCs and DACs distorting wasn't all that rare, the Tascam 32 is easily the worst sounding R to R recorder I've worked with, the CD player was a low-cost Magnavox with a blurry presentation] but already I noticed the difference with CD sourced material in the end result because of the speed stability. I'm hearing most of the distortions I associate with LPs in this recording. The wow and flutter wouldn't be as noticeable here as with other Ambient music, like Harold Budd or Brian Eno, as this is loaded with quick, microtonal sounds. It's no accident that "New Age" music became a big thing around the time CDs became a big thing. That constancy of speed [possibly the best thing about digital recording] was best demonstrated with steady pitched sounds.

This is a favorite example of what Stephen Hill---the host of "Music From the Hearts of Space"---would call "Spacemusic", probably his favorite subgenre of the "New Age" music he's been producing and distributing since the 1970's:

Last edited:
Top Bottom