• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Zydeco

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Any fans of zydeco music here? I'm a casual fan, but today I've been on a big Zachary Richard revival (which isn't probably strictly classified as zydeco).

Steve Riley is also a favorite.

And of course there's the great Stanley / Buckwheat Zydeco.

Then you've got Sunpie, Rockin Dopsie, Geno Delafose, Thursday nights at Rock N Bowl, etc.

Would love to hear some more ideas and suggestions.

P.S. Happy Mardi Gras weekend, everyone. Hope to see you at the Fais Do Do stage at jazz fest.

Last edited:

HoweSound

Also a Zydeco fan and a fan of Zachary Richard. I have a selection of his albums and was fortunate to see him perform live at a street concert in Vancouver, part of a francophonie celebration a long while ago.

TimF

Forum Donor
For more than twenty years there has been a good-sized crowd of followers of Cajun and Zydeco music here in Minneapolis and St. Paul, and there were weekly dances in bars that could handle a good-sized folk dance crowd, and twice-monthly dances in dance halls. We brought the best performers from Louisiana to this end of the Mississippi to play. We also had a few local groups who specialized in this music. It is very sweet music to dance to. I think of this as the heart of American music. The Louisiana cajun and zydeco performers are demigods to me just as is Curtis Mayfield and Nina Simone.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the first live concert I ever went to attended was Buckwheat Zydeco... I must have been around 4 or 5 years old. Don't know a ton about the genre, but it definitely checks a box for me.

I don't think this is properly zydeco at all, but it came up on Spotify and kinda reminded me of zydeco:

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Forum Donor
I think the first live concert I ever went to attended was Buckwheat Zydeco... I must have been around 4 or 5 years old. Don't know a ton about the genre, but it definitely checks a box for me.

I don't think this is properly zydeco at all, but it came up on Spotify and kinda reminded me of zydeco:

Thanks for posting that one. I'd call that Mardi Gras Indian more than zydeco but that's totally appropriate this weekend!

SSS

Like Zydeco too. In the USA I was at a live event of the band Zydeco Flames. Great players with live power and I have several CD from them.

Attachments

• Zydeco-Flames-photo2010-30.jpg
    Zydeco-Flames-photo2010-30.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 10

egellings

Major Contributor
Decades ago I saw Buckwheat play at a blues bar in Chicago called Biddy Mulligan's. Poor guy had a bad back and needed help with getting his squeezebox into playing position and removing it when he finished. He sure was good at it.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no idea about musical classifications. How would I know that? However in a New Orleans vein, which might possibly be Zydeco, I always appreciated (for reasons I can't quite establish right now) the Wild Tchoupitoulas. Probably because if I was going into battle...

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Forum Donor
I have no idea about musical classifications. How would I know that? However in a New Orleans vein, which might possibly be Zydeco, I always appreciated (for reasons I can't quite establish right now) the Wild Tchoupitoulas. Probably because if I was going into battle...

That one is a classic. Love it. It is also a good Meters album - they were the backing band.

Top Bottom