• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any lovers of ambient?

Blaspheme

My favourite Autechre track:

... same again, 4x faster:

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Oh man I'm glad I stumbled on this thread.

Lao Lu

Unlike most of the tracks offered here this excerpt from Deep Listening Band's album "The Ready Made Boomerang" uses not a single watt of electronic amplification, relying instead on the remarkable acoustics of Fort Worden's cistern: One notable feature of the park is the 2,000,000 gallon underground cistern, originally built to hold water for fire-fighting in the event that the fort was attacked and put to the torch. The cistern was drained in the 1950s when the fort was decommissioned, leaving an underground space more than 200 feet in diameter and 14 feet deep. This huge subterranean chamber has an acoustical reverberation time of around 45 seconds, and once attracted the interest of various musicians and recording artists, among them Pauline Oliveros, and Stuart Dempster. (Wikipedia) Dempster is an emeritus professor at the University of Washington's School of Music and author of The Modern Trombone: A Definition of Its Idioms. Berkeley and Los Angeles: The University of California Press.

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
I know it's not very "audiophile" but I listen at times to "SPA" on SiriusXM on DISH. Run it through both systems in 5 or 7 channel stereo simulation. Very nice. Also get a bunch of it on the channel I have setup on Pandora. Ulrich Schnauss is one artist I found I like, as is Thievery Corporation - particularly The Mirror Conspiracy album. Sort of ambient I think?
I've done the same, using Xfinitys' Music Choice SPA channel. At one time, Sirious/XM and Music Choice were my only source of music at home(or on the road for work). When I hear something now on those channels, or here in music threads, I search for them in AMHD. If they're very good I'll buy the CD, otherwise add to a playlist. I've discovered more music from ASR though. Thanks, ASR

Andretti60

I am a big fan of Ambient music. I have an Ambient radio station on Pandora that I turn on when I go to bed, using a 15 minutes timer, I usually fell asleep during the first song :)

Jokes aside, I started listening to Ambient with Brian Eno, but I soon got tired of it. Then I found out that a lot of good ambient music is not classified as Ambient at all, many (more or less) weird terms are used (like "landscape" music). Among my favorite artists are (no particular order) Robin Guthrie, Stars of the Lid, Marconi Union, Steve Roach.

Svperstar

litemotiv

Nice thread, i already saw a couple of favorites pass by!

I currently have a little over 800 ambient albums stored locally, it's one of the genres i always come back to. :)

Here's another favorite artist that hasn't been mentioned in the thread yet i think, Ishq:

Svperstar

Biosphere - Substrata is probably my favorite ambient album of all time. True classic.

Svperstar

Also for Ambient the Audeze LCD-2 is my favorite headphone. The warmth really adds to the genre plus it also smooths over some of the recording artifacts in a lot of ambient music.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
There's a very fine line between ambient and much of the progressive rock genre.

litemotiv

There's a very fine line between ambient and much of the progressive rock genre.
True! Many of the early ambient pioneers came from or were inspired by the progressive and krautrock movements. Tangerine Dream and Brian Eno being two of the main crossover artists that started to transcend genres (Eno mainly after his coma).

When you hear an album like Ricochet from Tangerine Dream from 1975, about 3 years before Eno's Music for Airports, you can already hear the ambient undertones coming through:

(ofcourse before that there were already hints of this with Dark Side of the Moon and other progressive artists)

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Speaking of Tangerine Dream, I love State Azure's covers of some of their tracks...

Love on a Real Train:

The Dream is Always the Same:

Mothers of Rain:

Ricochet:

And his live improvs are pretty cool as well:

Top Bottom