• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Antigone Power Management by DR Acoustics

mathieuboubou

Hello hello!

I was at the Montreal Audiofest this weekend and we came across a room where they were showing a ''power management system''

basically, this thing is all about reducing noise on the power in of the amplifier (as the same as PS audio, but simple).

The guy who showed it didn't show much measurement or proof of concept that show it working, i was wondering if you guys knew anything about it?
1648480656801.png

DSJR

Major Contributor
The sockets seem to be wired in series to me and that alone rings alarm bells (maybe it's ok to do this but the remaining audiophool in me doubts it)

egellings

Major Contributor
I think that if the power sockets were wired in series, components plugged into it would not work at all, since they would not each receive full line voltage.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Antigone. Sounds like a pest management company.

I could do with one right now as we have a serious ant problem.

DonR

Major Contributor
The product page just drips in snake oil. "Cryogenic"... that's a money word right there.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Micro Quartz Chamber Isolation System

I have a feeling that means three fancy looking carbon fiber tubes filled with sand...

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
basically, this thing is all about reducing noise on the power in of the amplifier (as the same as PS audio, but simple).
... But PS Audio did not reduce any noise whatsoever.

It's this is doing the same, then it does literally... nothing.
The guy who showed it didn't show much measurement or proof of concept that show it working
Of course, he didn't. Since there's nothing to show, nor to proof.

Reactions: ENG
OP
M

mathieuboubou

... But PS Audio did not reduce any noise whatsoever.

It's this is doing the same, then it does literally... nothing.

Of course, he didn't. Since there's nothing to show, nor to proof.
Yeah well i am not a fan either of pre-reducing noise even before doing anything with the power. Honestly, that thing is made for people who don't know what to do with their money..

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Micro Quartz Chamber Isolation System

I have a feeling that means three fancy looking carbon fiber tubes filled with sand...
:D :D :D :D :D

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Antigone uses 3 separate Quartz Filters that contribute to eliminate electromechanical noise as well as EMI and RFI. The filter system does not have electronic parts like Capacitors or inductors.
There are in fact quartz filters, but these are generally for RF usage and have limited bandwidth and are bandpass. I doubt one could make a 50 or 60 Hz filter with these, nor would I expect these things to carry a lot of current.
It definitely looks like it:
The new MQCI system, developed by DR Acoustics, uses Carbon fiber, ultra-rigid cylinders, filled with quartz to eliminate electromagnetic and electro mechanic noise.
:facepalm: One would think that there were already kilometers of filters in ground cables even before the wires enter your house ;)

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
It looks a lot like my watercooled PC. Speaking of which, it would be fun to see a watercooled amp if nothing else, as proof of concept.

Top Bottom