• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem AVM90 AV Processor Review

Rate This AV Processor:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 91 46.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 84 42.6%

• Total voters

JDS

Can we use 7 HDMI inputs? Yes, we can:
- cable box
- Roku
- AppleTV
- Blu-Ray player
- media PC
- PS5
- Nintendo Switch

That's seven. Of these, people in my house own and use all but the AppleTV, and that's plausible, even though it overlaps a lot with a Roku player.

Now, four subwoofer outputs implies four subwoofers. I have three, so, again, it's in the realm of the plausible.
I don't need 7, but my NAD has only 3 HDMI inputs, and it isn't enough.

Fidji

Unless you own a movie theater, why do you need a 15.4 channel processor?
Just seems a bit much for home theater to me.

9.4.6 is pretty standard setup these days, for sure for dedicated HT rooms. You should visit AVSforum, where people are complaining, that they can not go above 48 discrete channels [seriously]. 15.4 is OK for 1 row HT, if you go for 2-3 rows, you would look at something like 13.8.8 or something in that direction. My 2 seater in dedicated room has 24 channels and I am on the way to add another 4 next year.

Another q @amirm - do I read this chart correctly? If the test tone would be not 1kHz, but e.g. 10kHz then SINAD would be around 82db via XLR? And if you combine it with D Class amp, that shows typical balooning in higher frequencies, how does this cumulates itself - e.g SINAD.80dB pre & 80dB power amp, what would be the expected SINAD of the whole chain - 74dB?

1703273823458.png

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for including the multi-tone and jitter-noise graphs thru the HDMI Input. For an AV pre/Proc those are very respectable ("impressive") results.
Grading it on a performance/price ratio, it just gets a HappyPanher vote from me. Only because in a few years from now it will become 'old'.
More like outdated in 2-3 years.
I am not certain if the model @amirm tested is the same as the "AVM 90 "8K"" version advertised [appropriately] at $8K (USD).
Link

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for including the multi-tone and jitter-noise graphs thru the HDMI Input. For an AV pre/Proc those are very respectable ("impressive") results.
Grading it on a performance/price ratio, it just gets a HappyPanher vote from me. Only because in a few years from now it will become 'old'.

I am not certain if the model @amirm tested is the same as the "AVM 90 "8K"" version advertised [appropriately] at $8K (USD).
Link
Why are you not certain? There is only 1 version of the AVM90, no 4K version that I know of, because of the delayed launch.

jmschnur

I am happy with the 90. I use 3 subs in 5.3.4 setup. Arc genesis seems better than the version of audyssey I used with the Marantz 8805.
How ever I really would like ARC to tune all three subs simultaneously for optimum integration.
I use ROON with the IFI Zen stream to good effect but really really want the 90 to become ROON ready.

rynberg

Forum Donor
Not sure why all the non-home theater crowd feels the need to post a bunch of ignorant nonsense in this review thread. I'm not going to bother calling out specific posts, because there are too many. Yes, the SOTA in modern home theater is 7 to 9 bed channels with 2 to 6 upper channels (ie, Atmos). Multiple subwoofer channels allow for achieving a flatter response from the subwoofer channel over a larger number of seating positions. If you don't care or need this capability, why bother posting?

rynberg

Forum Donor
How good is Anthem's room correction technology (ARC)?
Is it on par with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 or Dirac Live?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯​

It's very good in my experience and much easier and more intuitive to tweak for your individual situation than Audyssey (which still stupidly uses the incorrect in-room target and requires spending a few more hundred dollars to get a PC-interface.). I do not have direct experience yet with Dirac.

rynberg

Forum Donor
More like outdated in 2-3 years.

AVRs should be upgradable; why not keep the amplification part separate from the AV processing?
First, this isn't an AVR, it's a processor -- there is no amplification! Jeesh

Secondly, nothing is being outdated in 2-3 years unless you happen to buy right before a massive hardware change (and even then, it might not actually affect you). This processsor should indeed be good for several years. I mean, is there just supposed to be no progress? In any case, people buying a $6k processor are in a position to upgrade as eeded.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am happy with the 90. I use 3 subs in 5.3.4 setup. Arc genesis seems better than the version of audyssey I used with the Marantz 8805.
How ever I really would like ARC to tune all three subs simultaneously for optimum integration.
I use ROON with the IFI Zen stream to good effect but really really want the 90 to become ROON ready.
Run REW to see the truth! The interface is nice, and it gives you pretty graphs, but it's not as effective as DL and XT32 (if you use the app).

Edit: If you do have REW plots, please share and post on the ARCG tread, thank you in advance.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you change link, the one you post earlier shows 8999 CAD. Maybe their site choose currency to show depending on your contry of origin lol..

It might have gone on BF sale not long ago, that might explain Amir using a lower number.

@amirm , the AVM90's list price is $7,499, not $6,375.

Music707

Did you change link, the one you post earlier shows 8999 CAD. Maybe their site choose currency to show depending on your contry of origin lol..

It might have gone on BF sale not long ago, that might explain Amir using a lower number.

@amirm , the AVM90's list price is $7,499, not $6,375.

Amir correctly said "on sale". Here is one current offer:

AVM90.JPG

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Nice to see an A/V pre/pro with this level of performance; however, I am disappointed to see no legacy video connection options. As someone who enjoys retro video gaming I do like having a couple of composite/s-video inputs to connect the old SNES or Playstation. Annoying to have to have a separate analog-to-HDMI box on top of a $6k pre/pro.

You should get yourself a retro AVR with composite in/outs to go with your retro gaming rig, VHS player and 50" rear-projection TV. Make it period correct at least. There should be a few at your local Goodwill for a dollar or two. Or just wait ten years when this Anthem thing is on the kerbside pickup.

Newman

Major Contributor
Thanks Amir. I would like to see more results for the XLR outputs. Even if only for comparison with the AVM70, which you published entirely based on XLR. But also because it’s a big part of the POD of AV processor units.

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You should get yourself a retro AVR with composite in/outs to go with your retro gaming rig, VHS player and 50" rear-projection TV. Make it period correct at least. There should be a few at your local Goodwill for a dollar or two. Or just wait ten years when this Anthem thing is on the kerbside pickup.
While we're at it lets just strip out all the analog audio ins as well. No legitimate reason anyone should ever need an RCA input of any kind. Get with the times, if you're a weirdo who wants to use an outdated format like vinyl records, cassettes, or a CD player with only analog outs, you'll just have to build an era-specific retro system to listen.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Many in the review industry puts it above those 2. I can't offer my opinion since I never owned one.
I'm in the review industry and I have heard them back to back to back A/B/C in succession replaying a 9 second snippet of the Maverick dog fight scene at the end, and ultimately, they can all be tuned to sound identical - at default one may emphasize dialogue or affects channels but all of that can be adjusted to taste as well.

Top Bottom