• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Another Nail in the Coffin of Objectivity

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I can tell you that cat is alive and well. I have been feeding him and changing his litter for years. Since he is such a scientific legend, he looks down on me as his slave or servant. He lords it over me all the time. He even "claims" to have received and honorary degree from MIT for his participation in advancing the sciences. So, he walks around like he is the most important cat in the world.

Or maybe he is just a typical house cat, it is hard to tell!!

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Science was born from religion. The word itself is from scientia

But scientia did not originate from religion...

*edit* That's not to say I disagree with the rest of your argument :)

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
But scientia did not originate from religion...

*edit* That's not to say I disagree with the rest of your argument :)
The word "science" originated from scientia. Not sure if I made that clear. While the etymological meaning is far older, the use of scientia in the middle ages was religious. For example, scientia media: https://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10.1093/oi/authority.20110803100447689

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I can tell you that cat is alive and well. I have been feeding him and changing his litter for years. Since he is such a scientific legend, he looks down on me as his slave or servant. He lords it over me all the time. He even "claims" to have received and honorary degree from MIT for his participation in advancing the sciences. So, he walks around like he is the most important cat in the world.

Reminds me of the BBC Radio version of the Hitchhiker's Guide.

Oldasdrt

But the question arises, is he there when you look at him?:)

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think perception stands in the way of objectivism, If that was the case we'd still be throwing witches onto firepits (or the other way [1]). There are reliably modelled truths we can't observe - but we can make them work in our favor. No one sees or feels Xrays, yet they perform lifesaving services, as an example. What we can model is what fuels progress. What we think we know and has a "feeling" as "true" inevitably, eventually holds us captive.

To a large degree, that is what Kant was on when he wrote what he titled "Critique of Pure Reason" but boy, was he ever rational even though he put himself in the middle of what counted as rationalism and empiricism as sources of truth back then.

[1] The sketch about witches and ducks and wood and flowing in water, anyone? :)

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Stereo audio reproduction of music is an illusion, and DSP furthers the illusion. I have no problem with that. I friggin' embrace it and always have. And the illusion today is better than when I became an audiophile in the 1970s. And, hey, reality often sucks. I am happy to turn on my music, especially if the sound is basically transparent, and enjoy the grand illusion.

Coleridge discussed the "suspension of disbelief." I am happy to suspend. I saw Dune II at IMAX over the weekend. 3/4 of the stuff in the movie must be CGI but it looks damn real to me and was enjoyable to watch for 2 hours and 40 minutes. A mess of 0s ad 1s looked marvelous.

I know Patricia Barber is not playing with her band in my living room, or in my head via HPs, but I am happy to listen as if it were all real. And at times it does sound that way. Without that would I rather listen to nothing, and instead contemplate the fact I am an insignificant amalgam of carbon-based cells residing on a small sphere hurtling through the universe in a pin-wheel shaped galaxy? Give me the music. And while I am at it give it to me in a transparent form.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Stereo audio reproduction of music is an illusion, and DSP furthers the illusion. I have no problem with that. I friggin' embrace it and always have. And the illusion today is better than when I became an audiophile in the 1970s. And, hey, reality often sucks. I am happy to turn on my music, especially if the sound is basically transparent, and enjoy the grand illusion.

Coleridge discussed the "suspension of disbelief." I am happy to suspend. I saw Dune II at IMAX over the weekend. 3/4 of the stuff in the movie must be CGI but it looks damn real to me and was enjoyable to watch for 2 hours and 40 minutes. A mess of 0s ad 1s looked marvelous.

I know Patricia Barber is not playing with her band in my living room, or in my head via HPs, but I am happy to listen as if it were all real. And at times it does sound that way. Without that would I rather listen to nothing, and instead contemplate the fact I am an insignificant amalgam of carbon-based cells residing on a small sphere hurtling through the universe in a pin-wheel shaped galaxy? Give me the music. And while I am at it give it to me in a transparent form.
Lovely post, just add wine! :)

mocenigo

Major Contributor

She’s a Flerken. Very, very dangerous.

Top Bottom