• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Andrew Jones out at ELAC!

TSB

There are dozens of loudspeaker engineers in the world which have contributed much more to the evolution and understanding of loudspeaker design but you won't find their names and YouTube interviews all over, like you write 'he is an exceptional communicator and guy". But it seems that such strategy works well, let's see how long he will stay at Mofi before he jumps to the next one and his fans following and cheering him.
People also seem to assume that wherever AJ is in charge he is doing all the engineering. Reminds me of the way people talk about Elon Musk. Nothing against the man, but he is working with teams of people in the structure of a company.

puppet

Typical flowery ad copy. Wish they'd dial this back some ... gets a bit thick. I like the part about the 1" MDF sides, top, bottom and back ... clearly from their section thru the enclosure one can see the back is not 1" thick.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Whole lot of money for a simple 2-way bookshelf.
For reference, they are 6.5" wider, 3.5" deeper, 2.5" taller, and 14 pounds heavier than BMR Philharmonic monitors. Put another way, the exterior volume of 5220 cubic inches is 2.6x the volume of the BMR. These are not small bookshelf speakers.

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
People also seem to assume that wherever AJ is in charge he is doing all the engineering. Reminds me of the way people talk about Elon Musk. Nothing against the man, but he is working with teams of people in the structure of a company.
Almost nobody remembers the names of Napolean's sergeants and corporals. Or Caesar's, or Custer's. Or Washington's dentist. Or the ladies who spun thread for Betsy Ross. Or Beethoven's publisher.
Leadership is what works... or doesn't.

tw 2022

Elon musk..lol.. That's the answer to the question::what happens when govt grants meet psychopathic obsession to rule the entire economy..

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Speaking of Andrew Jones -- his first MoFi product is nigh.

m6fibzl1uyb8.png

1668125217471.png

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know coaxial speakers help several directivity issues but I'd be wary of a dome tweeter and a 10" woofer playing together well. It's an unique set of compromises to be sure, love to see measurements.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I know coaxial speakers help several directivity issues but I'd be wary of a dome tweeter and a 10" woofer playing together well. It's an unique set of compromises to be sure, love to see measurements.
That combo of the coax with a 10" woof will make it honky sounding and nasal'ishy too?

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That combo of the coax with a 10" woof will make it honky sounding and nasal'ishy too?
I wouldn't assume that, it's just a weird speaker. Like, the cone becomes a waveguide for the tweeter right? And generally as a rule of thumb, for the waveguide to match the woofer, they should be around the same diameter. You see this with most speakers - Gedlee Abbey has a 12" woofer and a ~13" waveguide, lots of speakers are 7 and 7, you get the idea.

So in theory, if the cone is shaped right, it can function as a WG for the dome, and it will be approximately the right size to match with the woofer, because the woofer is the same size as itself.

Using a big woofer you get other benefits, too. For one, you can use a bigger voice coil, so you can put a beefier tweeter inside the woofer. Also, the area of the woofer is really big, so you're not sacrificing a ton of radiating area and turning your midwoofer into a mid (cough cough KEF).

If you do have directivity mismatches, putting the speakers inside of each other tends to make things work well, since the relative path lengths to the acoustic center of each driver are very close, so off axis response is going to be drama free if not exceptionally controlled. Having said that, a 10" woofer is pretty controlled in radiation, and the tweeter is in a big ass waveguide, so maybe it will have really tight directivity?

So, it's easy for me to see some upsides to this idea, but there are some pitfalls. One, this strikes me as a hard speaker to get right - but Andrew Jones presumably knows something about manufacturing coaxial speakers. Two, there's the simple issue of output. A 10" midwoofer has some serious power potential, even if it has low efficiency and a low Fs and the rest of it. A little tweeter stuffed inside its VC, on the other hand? Maybe they pulled it off - maybe the dome is actually quite big, and the horn loading helps, and they're using a beastly little neo motor. Who knows.

In conclusion, I don't think Andrew Jones is a better speaker designer than, you know, KEF or ME Geithain, and I find the use of his name as a marketing tool to be...strange, given the collaborative nature of modern engineering. Like do we really have Saul Marantzes and Winslow Burhoes and Dave Wilsons today? Having said that, he has a track record of making innovative and performant speakers, so I will just say I am looking forward to seeing the measurements. If this speaker works, it's a really cool design, and a great way of packing a ton of radiating area in a small box.

Top Bottom