• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Andrew Jones out at ELAC!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Somebody at Audiophile Forum said @amirm banned Andrew Jones from this forum?

I don't recall such?

Absolutely not true! Here is his profile stats:

1651634353926.png

As you see he last was here just a few months ago so clearly not banned past his last post which was months back (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-0-review-bookshelf-speaker.19216/post-690938).

Furthermore, we have given him one of rare and special title of "Technical Expert." No how, no way we would ban him. He is a gentleman and has great knowledge to offer all of us. We have zero reason to be unhappy about him. He would have to cut off multiple fingers of mine before he would get any sanction let alone being banned.

If anyone has an account there, please set them straight.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Leader is about the most un-arrogant person who runs this sort of forum. Here, one finds a large mix of opinion and debate. Often, audio discussion forums tend to degenerate into name-calling pretty quickly, however I've found that the give and take on ASR is amost always open and civil. As long as one is not making trouble.

When anyone posts this sort of thing anonymously, without adding any proof or support, you are either looking at basic ignorance anent the subject, or calumny. Possibly both, as both tend to go hand in hand.

jones.jpg

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Leader is about the most un-arrogant person who runs this sort of forum. Here, one finds a large mix of opinion and debate. Often, audio discussion forums tend to degenerate into name-calling pretty quickly, however I've found that the give and take on ASR is amost always open and civil. As long as one is not making trouble.

When anyone posts this sort of thing anonymously, without adding any proof or support, you are either looking at basic ignorance anent the subject, or calumny. Possibly both, as both tend to go hand in hand.

View attachment 204413

The funny thing is that 'botrytis' is more of an objectivist on that forum than nearly everyone else. He's a scientist by trade, and seems like generally a nice guy, except when it comes to Amir and ASR, it would seem :)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree, according to the first interview in this case though he is tooling his own concentric design and as we know this is very tough if you want to reach the level of the very good ones (Genelec & KEF) and not having the support of large R&D companies like TAD/Pioneer. I have the feeling that from measurement point of view it won't be on par, as in the second video he gives the typical audiophile talk that "measurements are important BUT...."
Hope I will be wrong though, we will see...
He can always custom order from one of the traditional driver manufacturers like a variation from those below.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Often, audio discussion forums tend to degenerate into name-calling pretty quickly, however I've found that the give and take on ASR is amost always open and civil.
I feel this is in no small part a victory of the moderation around here. There is a lot of stuff we don't even see :cool:
So thanks to the mods, good job.

Did your post get approved ?
After a few minutes, yes.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Often, audio discussion forums tend to degenerate into name-calling pretty quickly, however I've found that the give and take on ASR is amost always open and civil. As long as one is not making trouble.
It's a lot harder to argue against measurements and a scientific approach. When a product relies on magic fairy dust to make a subjective difference, it becomes easier to defend.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I feel this is in no small part a victory of the moderation around here.
No doubt. The moderation tends to be unobtrusive. Also, my guess is that the folks here on ASR are just a cut above.

There's nothing wrong with stating an opinion. Everyone has one of those. But if one gets a fact wrong, which I certainly have, the least one can do is acknowledge that you got it wrong, modify your next opinion accordingly, and then happily move on.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
He can always custom order from one of the traditional driver manufacturers like a variation from those below.
Yes and what I would rather expect at the state and size of his current company, but in the video he claims for own tooling, we will see.

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning

View attachment 204413
I ducked into another forum with an ASR- and Amir-bashing thread and honestly I was pretty disappointed. There was a lot of hate. Amir can be whoever he wants, I don't care. I do care that people offer unbiased and information driven posts and aren't evicted for it. So far I have not seen Amir evicting anyone and I personally have made a number of somewhat critical (but I hope data-driven) criticisms of this forum. That myself and others are still here (and expect to be still here, nudge, nudge) earns my support and respect.

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does anyone know when Andrew was at Infinity and which speaker designs he was probably responsible for there? Was that in the late 90's? The TAD Reference One that was supposedly his came out in 2007 according to the TAD website (no confirmation on their site who designed it).

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone know when Andrew was at Infinity and which speaker designs he was probably responsible for there?

I know he did a standmount with a waveguide MTM and side mounted (powered?) woofer, as well as the first draft of their super thin tower with powered side mounted 12. That was a very complex speaker: sub+ WMTMW with vented woofers! The next version (after he left) was simpler.

DanielT

Major Contributor

pjn

Whole lot of money for a simple 2-way bookshelf.
Those look interesting - 10 inch woofer and 46lbs? Not my idea of a bookshelf! I like the front baffle - although more rounding at the edges would probably be nice. Price seems OK

Top Bottom