• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier Case Design Options

Which aesthetic design do you prefer?

• External Heatsink Case (#1)

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Smooth Finish Case (#2)

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

Hov

Forum Donor
Hello ASR,

Hope everyone is enjoying this wonderful week of weather (depending on your location, I suppose).

I'm looking at a couple different case designs for an upcoming DIY project, and will likely be using it as direct reference for an upcoming launch offering fully assembled Hypex and Purifi amplifiers out of Canada. This is somewhat for personal preference, but also to gather data about potential design language of the company moving forward. I'm excited to share more details as they become available, and truly appreciate any feedback and suggestions.

The poll is to decide between an external heatsink type of case, or one that's smoother and (potentially) more pleasing to the eye. I will likely launch with all-black offers and may introduce silver down the line as well. The external heatsink case would have the modules directly connected to the heatinks. The smooth one use a different layout, but still use heatsinks mounted to the modules and to the case.

Note: these may not be the exact final cases I end up going with, but the general design approach will be very similar for either one.

#1 - External Heatsink Case
1681399565348.png

#2 - Smooth Anodized Case
1681399624269.png

While I'm not opposed to considering different case designs for different approaches, the launch design will likely lead the language for a while until that happens.

Last edited:

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Personally I like the external heatsink case better, that said they should do something if they're there. If the components are just mounted to the baseplate, maybe with standoffs even you can skip the heatsinks.

Also I feel this is hugely personal, probably a lot of people would prefer the smoother case.

OP
H

Hov

Forum Donor
Great point and I edited that into the initial post -- I'd definitely use the sidewall heatsinks to mount the modules to if that's the design I move forward with.

If not, I will still be heatsinking the modules and vertically mounting them to the chassis (either direct or with a mounting plate of some sort).

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have designed a few cases for hypex and purifi amps too. I did one small run in Taiwan and seems not successful..... I am close to China so quite lucky to get stuff from Taobao easily. There are some company there that has many case variants, though need like 10 to 30 minimum order quantity.

I did a few designs that is smooth all around. If you want I can show you pictures or cad.

Reactions: Hov

egellings

Major Contributor
Hello ASR,

Hope everyone is enjoying this wonderful week of weather (depending on your location, I suppose).

I'm looking at a couple different case designs for an upcoming DIY project, and will likely be using it as direct reference for an upcoming launch offering fully assembled Hypex and Purifi amplifiers out of Canada. This is somewhat for personal preference, but also to gather data about potential design language of the company moving forward. I'm excited to share more details as they become available, and truly appreciate any feedback and suggestions.

The poll is to decide between an external heatsink type of case, or one that's smoother and (potentially) more pleasing to the eye. I will likely launch with all-black offers and may introduce silver down the line as well. The external heatsink case would have the modules directly connected to the heatinks. The smooth one use a different layout, but still use heatsinks mounted to the modules and to the case.

Note: these may not be the exact final cases I end up going with, but the general design approach will be very similar for either one.

View attachment 279002

View attachment 279003

While I'm not opposed to considering different case designs for different approaches, the launch design will likely lead the language for a while until that happens.
If the amplifier and its supply are switch-mode, then the smooth case would work, as the heatsink fins would have little or no functionality in that sort of setting. If the amp is a class AB analog (non-switching) design, then the finned case would be the best choice. If the amp is class A analog, then the finned case would be mandatory.

JktHifi

I prefer smooth finish because fins on the heatsink collect dust. Heatsink needs to be cleaned more often.

egellings

Major Contributor
I prefer smooth finish because fins on the heatsink collect dust. Heatsink needs to be cleaned more often.
Thing is, if your amp needs the sinks, then you're stuck with them, like it or not.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello ASR,

View attachment 279002

View attachment 279003

In general, I think you should chose the case by the amount of heat you need to dissipate, not just by looks. I believe engineering should matter more than looks.

egellings

Major Contributor
The heatsink need to be inside, not outside, because of dust.
You then need to get the heat released by the sink out of the box so that the box's innards don't get cooked. Put the sink on the outside and tolerate the tiny chore of periodically dusting it.

JktHifi

You then need to get the heat released by the sink out of the box so that the box's innards don't get cooked. Put the sink on the outside and tolerate the tiny chore of periodically dusting it.
Beside dust, it’s also ugly.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you getting these custom or are these OEM for sale already? They're a bit generic either way, but if you want my vote I'd go with fins on the outside. To me I associate that with more expensive A or A/B amps and so I think they're "cool" or "premium". I also like the idea of external heatsinks for actual heat dissipation.

egellings

Major Contributor
Are you getting these custom or are these OEM for sale already? They're a bit generic either way, but if you want my vote I'd go with fins on the outside. To me I associate that with more expensive A or A/B amps and so I think they're "cool" or "premium". I also like the idea of external heatsinks for actual heat dissipation.
Heat dissipation, that's what they're there for. Put 'em outside the box so that they can do that. Boxing the heatsinks (without adequate ventilation) is like putting your lamp under a bushel basket. If that box has perforations all around where the sinks are mounted inside the box, then that could work, and it wouldn't look as bad to you. Those babies gotta breathe.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an enclosure like choice #1 and it's one of the nicest DIY cases I've ever used, I house my Icepower 1200AS2 in it. They are really expensive though, at least through the sources I've found online.

I think if you hope to compete in N America with Nord or Audiophonics, etc I think you'll have to come up with a custom faceplate at least. Otherwise Buckey offers a tremendous value already in relatively plain boxes.

OP
H

Hov

Forum Donor
Thank you all, all great points and some things I didn't think of!

To address some things:

-If it is the smooth option, I will be using heatsinks mounted to the base with vent holes specifically placed to direct airflow up and through the fins and out the top of the case vents
-The cooling requirement does not demand the big large external heatsinks, though "more cooling" is not a bad thing, the idea is to balance the operation with the design
-@kemmler3D these images are existing pre-made cases that can be customized, I haven't finalized my decision on the exact case to use/customize (or custom make fully) just yet
-@DWPress that is good to know, and good point and so far the plan is to have a very nice front panel with an elegant engraved logo and potentially a simple engraved case design to cap it off

My initial thoughts were the smooth case as I do want a bit of a premium feel. Buckeye is excellent and I have the utmost respect for him and his process/approach. I do eventually plan on releasing a value line for certain configurations of channels and power after launching with a more "flagship" approach, if you will, but will still maintain some differences based on local markets and what not.

Maximizing performance for the long term will be a big goal of the launch designs. After collecting feedback for a bit, I hope to increase the model count but keep it tight and sensible overall.

OP
H

Hov

Forum Donor
I have designed a few cases for hypex and purifi amps too. I did one small run in Taiwan and seems not successful..... I am close to China so quite lucky to get stuff from Taobao easily. There are some company there that has many case variants, though need like 10 to 30 minimum order quantity.

I did a few designs that is smooth all around. If you want I can show you pictures or cad.
Nice, thanks for sharing that! Sent you a PM to chat a bit more, would be happy to take a look.

Top Bottom