• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir Rec List

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
On the other hand, I would love to see a farsical @Thomas savage favorites list because I'm sure it would be based entirely on what he can take the piss out of.
Maybe we can do some real tests like what happens when you spill beer on ya dac and what happens when you drop the remote in ya vindaloo.

How easy is it to operate when your shitfaced ..

You know , practical advice.

OP
S

skcheng

Forum Donor
I guess it's nice to see all of the measurements and graphs and charts, but I just figured it would be convenient to see a simple "rec" list. I love subjectivity and quality parts and construction and low distortion, but this is still an "audio" site. We're all here to look at gear and compare notes and usage and of course sound.

But if the general crowd prefers NO list of any kind I understand. I'll just continue to search each piece of gear looking for nice implementation, and decent solder connections following by a general overview. Carry on!! :)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The average person life are already jambed packed with duties from work to family. Perhaps they shouldn't have to spend hours on the internet combing thru technical discussions just to make a informed buying decision?
Just my 2 cents
The average person won't be looking for deep technical info on products . Theres youtube channels with top 5 this top 5 that for them.

We will just create a number war with no one really knowing what any of it means but maybe thats inevitable. Glossy top 5 tables and guru style recommended lists would definitely make us more popular. I dont know if that popularity translates into success.

OP
S

skcheng

Forum Donor
The average person won't be looking for deep technical info on products . Theres youtube channels with top 5 this too 5 that for them.

We will just create a number war with no one really knowing what any of it means but maybe thats inevitable.

Well, I found Audio Science through Head-Fi. When gear is discussed over there, and measured here, people post links. So I see an interesting contrast between both sites, regarding sound and measurements. Obviously, I would assume both matter to most people. Two pairs of headphones can measure extremely well, have flat responses and sound totally different.

I really enjoy this site, and even though I will inevitably spend more money as products emerge, I think I will also ultimately save a lot of money as well.

So ...... thanks!!

Now let me take some time to study up on the measurement tutorials.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Well, I found Audio Science through Head-Fi. When gear is discussed over there, and measured here, people post links. So I see an interesting contrast between both sites, regarding sound and measurements. Obviously, I would assume both matter to most people. Two pairs of headphones can measure extremely well, have flat responses and sound totally different.

I really enjoy this site, and even though I will inevitably spend more money as products emerge, I think I will also ultimately save a lot of money as well.

So ...... thanks!!

Now let me take some time to study up on the measurement tutorials.
I think you make a important point here, no one place has to be everything. Forums can act together in a way as people consume information from diffrence places to fulfill their requirements.

As long as amir carries on presenting his reviews in a way thats optimised for patrons internet habits i think thats enough. Hes already very good at that, understanding how people interact with the pages and how they scroll etc.

With the new search engine its easy to find stuff here imo.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think if you hang around here for a while, you will realize my recommended products as they have general consensus among members and mentioned very often.

So that we make some progress, here are the products I like and often talk about fondly:

1. Topping D10 and DX3 Pro. They are both awfully cute :). The former is cheap, DAC only, the latter DAC+headphone amp. The DX3 Pro is the product I have on my desk and listen to for hours every day.

2. SMSL SU-8. Cheapest, highest performing DAC with balanced outputs that I have tested. Balanced output can free you from a lot of ground loop issues which once you experience, will be hard to remove.

2. JDS Labs Atom, Massdrop THX AAA 789 and Neurochrome HP1 are state-of-the-art headphone amplifiers which no other product can current touch. They are listed in order of cost.

3. JBL 305 Mark II powered speakers. In near field, smaller room setting, they will outperform typical audiophile speakers at almost any price. They are amazingly cheap so even if you don't believe me, you should get a pair and experience.

There are lots more products that are recommended but the above are my current favorites for a variety of reasons.

OP
S

skcheng

Forum Donor
I think if you hang around here for a while, you will realize my recommended products as they have general consensus among members and mentioned very often.

So that we make some progress, here are the products I like and often talk about fondly:

1. Topping D10 and DX3 Pro. They are both awfully cute :). The former is cheap, DAC only, the latter DAC+headphone amp. The DX3 Pro is the product I have on my desk and listen to for hours every day.

2. SMSL SU-8. Cheapest, highest performing DAC with balanced outputs that I have tested. Balanced output can free you from a lot of ground loop issues which once you experience, will be hard to remove.

2. JDS Labs Atom, Massdrop THX AAA 789 and Neurochrome HP1 are state-of-the-art headphone amplifiers which no other product can current touch. They are listed in order of cost.

3. JBL 305 Mark II powered speakers. In near field, smaller room setting, they will outperform typical audiophile speakers at almost any price. They are amazingly cheap so even if you don't believe me, you should get a pair and experience.

There are lots more products that are recommended but the above are my current favorites for a variety of reasons.

Thanks!! I'm more than satisfied now!! :p:p A few hours a day, over the course of a few months, and I too will quote specs on a regular basis!!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Great, just add links to the original review. I don't understand the resistance to keeping a updated list along these lines.
An INFORMED resource would be a valued place to point people looking for some non-audiophool help.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Amir also recommends fish and chips , tea , pickels and kebab.
Sal recommeds cheeseburgers, pizza, and pasta. Doesn't stink up the house when you cook it. ;)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Maybe we can do some real tests like what happens when you spill beer on ya dac and what happens when you drop the remote in ya vindaloo.

How easy is it to operate when your shitfaced ..

You know , practical advice.

I have special super powers in those areas and would be happy to contribute.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The average person won't be looking for deep technical info on products . Theres youtube channels with top 5 this top 5 that for them.

I am pretty average among a select few. I am also unique, just like everyone else. I don't trust anyone on youtube. I trust the reviews here. If someone asks me for hi-fi recommendations and they are also average and unique just like me, it would be nice to forward them a list that is kept up to date.

Of course, its more work for Amir, so if he doesn't want to do it, he doesn't do it and that is precisely why this site is trustworthy. No shilling.

OP
S

skcheng

Forum Donor
I keep wanting to create one but recently people started to give me grief for one of my recommendations so I am hesitant to create one.

If people understand that no one is telling them to go and buy anything, and not come back complaining to me if they don't like the device, I can create it.

I keep wanting to create one but recently people started to give me grief for one of my recommendations so I am hesitant to create one.

If people understand that no one is telling them to go and buy anything, and not come back complaining to me if they don't like the device, I can create it.

I refer you back to post #2

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I used to love eating like that!! Is a Guinness or some stout in the background. Then I developed gout so now I live on chicken and vegetables which I hate. Oh well, such is life.
Bummer, i have a freind who was in hospital with gout its not nice ..

yea its some yank porter but i cant rememberthe name. The barman picked out a nice tequila for pudding.

Next day was 24oz ribeye on the bone with a nice breakfast whisky made with a little bitter marmalade. But i wont torment you with the pictures lol

Top Bottom