• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon Echo Link Amp : Stream and amplify hi-fi music to your speakers

Habu

Echo Link Amp easily connects to your speakers—bookshelf, tower, in-wall, in-ceiling, or outdoor. The inputs and outputs provide compatibility with your existing audio equipment, so you can play music from your favorite source on the system you already love—and it's designed to fit in an audio rack.

Size : 8.5 x 9.5 x 3.4 in (217 x 242 x 86 mm)
Weight : 80.6 oz (2286 g) Actual size and weight may vary by manufacturing process

Audio inputs:
Analog (1 x L/R RCA)
Digital (1 x Coaxial RCA, 1 x Optical Toslink)

Audio outputs:
Analog (1 x L/R RCA, 1x Subwoofer RCA)
Digital (1 x Coaxial RCA, 1 x Optical Toslink)
L/R Speaker Binding Posts

Headphone : TPA6120A2 High Fidelity Stereo Headphone Amplifier and 3.5mm output jack

Amplifier : 2 channel x 60W at 8 Ohms, Class D Digital Amplifier. Volume knob for granular control.
THD
Analog/Amplified Line-out: < 0.008%
Amplified headphone out: < 0.01%
Measured un-weighted at 1kHz maximum output using AES17 at 20-20kHz bandwidth
Frequency response
20Hz - 20kHz +0/-1dB
5Hz - 22kHz +0/-3dB
Dynamic range
Min. 94 dB
Channel separation
Analog/Amplified Line-out: Min 100db
Amplified headphone out: Min 70dB
Sampling frequency
Sample rates of 44.1, 48.0, 88.2, and 96.0 kHz are supported over optical and coaxial digital inputs

Ethernet : Single RJ45 jack supports 10/100 Mbps Ethernet.

Wi-Fi : Dual-band Wi-Fi supports 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4 and 5 GHz) networks. Does not support connecting to ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer) Wi-Fi networks.

Bluetooth : Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) support for audio streaming from your mobile device to Echo or from Echo to your Bluetooth speaker. Hands-free voice control is not supported. Bluetooth speakers requiring PIN codes are not supported.

Alexa App

IMG_2205.JPG

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There is also a Link version without an amp. Everything other than the power amp is supposed to be the same so my test will cover both. Supposed to arrive on Friday.

Shame you need the Echo Dot to control these.

Jaimo

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a predictable What Hi-Fi review- a Brit product - Rega, Naim, Linn, etc will get a flawless or apologetic review. Everything else is sub-Standard poor sounding junk.
Even outside of that, I find their reviews to be totally useless.

Jaimo

Their mindless endorsements of mediocre products and negative reviews of good products has tripped up many an aspiring audiophile and caused endless upgraditis and frustration.

These folks and other hi-fi bad actors (vendor$) have done much damage to this hobby.

Music1969

Major Contributor
With Echo Link and Echo Link Amp, can you play direct from the official apps of all these streaming services, direct to the Echo?

Or do you have have to go through some Amazon app?

Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 1.25.34 pm.png

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Or do you have have to go through some Amazon app?
You don't really use an ap. You just talk to the speaker using voice commands. I use Amazon services so can't give you specific answer for others but I imagine they integrate into the voice command set and you are set.

In addition bluetooth connectivity allows your favorite app to talk to the amp.

Music1969

Major Contributor
You don't really use an ap. You just talk to the speaker using voice commands. I use Amazon services so can't give you specific answer for others but I imagine they integrate into the voice command set and you are set.

In addition bluetooth connectivity allows your favorite app to talk to the amp.

Noted. I knew about Alexa voice commands. But didn't realise that's the only way to use it.

I thought there was still an option to 'cast' from these officially supported apps to Echo.

DuxServit

Forum Donor
A “surveillance device” going hi-fidelity. :facepalm:

So when can I get an Amazon refrigerator that is Alexa-controlled and can report my food inventory automatically to Amazon-Fresh, so that the local Amazon Whole-Foods drivers can open my Alexa-controlled back porch door to get into the refrigerator to restock ;)

vert

Forum Donor
Their mindless endorsements of mediocre products and negative reviews of good products has tripped up many an aspiring audiophile and caused endless upgraditis and frustration.

These folks and other hi-fi bad actors (vendor$) have done much damage to this hobby.

They have a review of a Fiio product, a portable DAC/Amp, that is the opposite of a Qobuz review of exactly the same product. What Hifi gave it two or three stars, Qobuz gave it their "Qobuzissime", meaning outstanding notation. Which is absurd, a device can't be both good and bad performance-wise. Not everyone will like a Rolex, but no one can say it's not a technically competent watch. Qobuz don't support their opinions with measurements either, but often will try to give a competent technical description of what they review. Anyway, cases like this make you wonder how serious those reviewers can really be. Also, What Hifi's editorial style itself gets so pompous sometimes it borders on the insufferable.

pastorbarrett

I'm looking forward to this review, despite the unit(s) not yet having a Euro release date. For one, they have Spotify Connect (I'm assuming there's no need for a Dot here?), and two, they have some form of bass management via App. Unique features in an amp this inexpensive. Here's hoping it measures relatively well.

Jaimo

It will be good if Amazon is more consistent with their launches. The US market seems to get priority and the rest of their markets gets things in dribs and drabs.

Echo Auto is still a US only product.
The Tidal skill is Not available in Canada.
It took months for Amazon to get Spotify Connect for Echo working properly in Canada -after it was launched in the US.
It may well take some time for Amazon to roll out Spotify support for the Echo Link outside the US even after the Link is released.

I have 4 Echo products around the house and no longer get excited about Amazon’s launches.

Ok, I am venting...

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
hmm. 300 a pop? why not IF it measures good. Otherwise your phone and bluetooth speaker might be a better combo. Then there's whole question of spying, mic is on all the time. XKCD had a good comic about Alexa.
I would consider it, if it measures good. 300 for a good class-D amp, with extras like streaming.

Top Bottom