• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazing Budget Amplifier Find: AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Video Review

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Same case as the TDA7498E amp I have laying around. No idea how it measures.

Attachments

• 20181201_222053_HDR1.jpg
    20181201_222053_HDR1.jpg
    730.8 KB · Views: 844

Darth Bubba

You all have probably seen the review of the AIYIMA A07 here but for YouTube audience, they asked for budget finds so I thought I do a video on that:

I know what DACs do generically speaking, but I'd appreciate a functional-block by functional-block explanation of how they work. If you've already written this out before a link to your article would probably be enough.

Really enjoying your help in catching up with audio technology since I left in 1982 to pursue grad school, a family, a career, and now retirement with a return to my earliest love.

Darth Bubba

I don't have a write-up that I can point you to. Almost all the heavy lifting is done inside that main amplifier chip. What is around it is not much.

The main the D-to-A chip or the output amp chip or ?

Darth Bubba

The main the D-to-A chip or the output amp chip or ?

Googling DAC primarily returns the internal construction/functions of the DAC chip, not the audio device sitting in an aluminum box. And the weeds are eyebrow high for explanations about the internals of the chip. :eek: I think I'll just leave this alone.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Googling DAC primarily returns the internal construction/functions of the DAC chip, not the audio device sitting in an aluminum box. And the weeds are eyebrow high for explanations about the internals of the chip. :eek: I think I'll just leave this alone.
You realise this product is not a dac tough? you’d like to learn about dacs in general?

Flo

Thanks Amirm! Would be interesting to see reviews of the dacs and preamps by the same brand :)

spandy

Is this amp available to purchase anywhere? seems like its not available anymore.

Keith Conroy

Amirm, 1st and foremost I would like to thank you SO MUCH for what you do for the Audio Community!! I do not know of another site that offers everything you give in your reviews. Great knowledge, excellent test equipment and great test scripts. I am semi-retired now, but worked as a test and measurement engineer for a major Pro Audio Speaker Company. ON ANOTHER POINT WHICH IS MOST IMPORTANT. YOU SEEM TO BE STAYING PURE. YOU ARE TELLING IT LIKE IT REALLY IS! THIS BASED ON THE DATA AND YOUR SUBJECTIVE LISTENING, WHICH USUALLY AGREES WITH THE DATA PRETTY WELL?
I like your U-tube reviews, because your input clearly adds related to just reading the data. This seems to be a labor of love for you, but I know you have time and costs. I promise to dig into my wallet very soon to help out a bit. Also please let me know how equipment donations or equipment loans work?? I have not seen this on your site?? Maybe post something on this?? Example, I currently have XXX number of products in the test Que or I am looking for test donations ??

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Amirm, 1st and foremost I would like to thank you SO MUCH for what you do for the Audio Community!! I do not know of another site that offers everything you give in your reviews. Great knowledge, excellent test equipment and great test scripts. I am semi-retired now, but worked as a test and measurement engineer for a major Pro Audio Speaker Company. ON ANOTHER POINT WHICH IS MOST IMPORTANT. YOU SEEM TO BE STAYING PURE. YOU ARE TELLING IT LIKE IT REALLY IS! THIS BASED ON THE DATA AND YOUR SUBJECTIVE LISTENING, WHICH USUALLY AGREES WITH THE DATA PRETTY WELL?
I like your U-tube reviews, because your input clearly adds related to just reading the data. This seems to be a labor of love for you, but I know you have time and costs. I promise to dig into my wallet very soon to help out a bit. Also please let me know how equipment donations or equipment loans work?? I have not seen this on your site?? Maybe post something on this?? Example, I currently have XXX number of products in the test Que or I am looking for test donations ??

Thread on loans here.

Info on donations here.

Darth Bubba

You realise this product is not a dac tough? you’d like to learn about dacs in general?

Yes, I was asking for Amir to launch a separate thread about DAC (the whole box, not just the chip) design in general.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
[Cross-posted, expanded post based on my original comment at Amir's YouTube video about this review - and from the original Aiyima A07 thread as well]

Hidden gem, indeed!

[edit] I noticed that three pictures of this amplifier in the original Aiyima A07 thread show different sizes of heat sink, with the original unit that Amir tested being the smallest.

I don't own the Aiyima A07, but early last year I purchased their lower-power A04 amp (TPA3251) for a "portable" system that I use with a 12v Talentcell 38400mAh Li-ion battery pack. I purchased both from Amazon last year. Before the pandemic hit, I took my "portable" system with a (DAP, amp, tiny Yamaha speakers and battery pack) to the weekly local (Boquete, Chiriqui, Panama) food, arts and crafts market where I used to sell my artisan woodturnings.

The quality and performance of the Aiyima A04 is very good, and would expect the more powerful A07 to probably equal the performance of my Ghent/ICEPower 70w amplification in my main system.

The Aiyima A07 was not currently found via my search at Amazon, but the AiyimaAudio store (80 sold, 726 available) on AliExpress has it for USD $50.62 with free shipping to the US from China, or from a German location to Germany for free.

The A07 is also available for the same price from the AliExpress AiyimaTechnology store (270 sold, 2942 available), which ships from China or Russia. This store also offers a choice of two different op-amps

The photos at both stores show the original, smaller gold heatsink. Which version they are selling? Hard to say, although none of the versions seem to have issues. Like many inexpensive "ChiFi" audio electronics, Aiyima appears to make component changes and use different component suppliers without notification or designation.

At around 12 minutes, the distortion of class D amplifiers is stated to be "messy" in that the distortion varies at different frequencies. Is this part of the reason or rationale of preferring (or assuming to prefer) class A over class D?

Top Bottom