• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Alternatives to Monolith HTP-1 for Dirac?

radio3

I run active monitors for LCR and don’t want significantly compromised pre-out quality as apparently the new Pioneer and Onkyo Dirac AVRs contain. But anything other than Dirac is a no-go for me. I’ve been using it in stereo via MiniDSP for years and dont want to switch to something else.

This HTP-1 isn’t cheap and is already a couple years old, though. Are there any other alternatives at all? I like the Monolith but it sure would be nice to get something a little more affordable or at least not likely to be replaced by a newer model the month after purchase :). 4k USD is a large investment for something that kinda seems the same as a $1000 Denon AVR only minus amps and with different room correction.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
I run active monitors for LCR and don’t want significantly compromised pre-out quality as apparently the new Pioneer and Onkyo Dirac AVRs contain.
What do you mean by compromised pre-out? Onkyo TX-RZ50 measures at 97dB SINAD on the pre-outs which should be sufficiently transparent to not hear noise and distortion in a home theater setting. I would not use it for near-field studio monitors or a high-end 2 channel setup, but for its intended purpose it's excellent. Only serious issue found in measurements of the Onkyo AVR is when using its internal amps with 4 ohm speakers it might drop the power by 3x. No issues when used with external amps or powered studio monitors.

I've been using Dirac Live too for awhile in a couple of other systems with MiniDSP and recently got the Onkyo TX-RZ50 for my home theater. It's working great and the audible improvement that Dirac Live delivers is even more impressive in 5.4.4 Atmos setup. The imaging improvement you've heard with Dirac in stereo, when applied to a 180 degree 3D soundstage creates the illusion of speakers disappearing and a coherent half-sphere soundstage that goes beyond the bounds of the room. Easy to use advanced room correction is the stuff that matters the most for audio quality and overall subjective experience in my opinion.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you mean by compromised pre-out? Onkyo TX-RZ50 measures at 97dB SINAD on the pre-outs which should be sufficiently transparent to not hear noise and distortion in a home theater setting. I would not use it for near-field studio monitors or a high-end 2 channel setup, but for its intended purpose it's excellent. Only serious issue found in measurements of the Onkyo AVR is when using its internal amps with 4 ohm speakers it might drop the power by 3x. No issues when used with external amps or powered studio monitors.

I've been using Dirac Live too for awhile in a couple of other systems with MiniDSP and recently got the Onkyo TX-RZ50 for my home theater. It's working great and the audible improvement that Dirac Live delivers is even more impressive in 5.4.4 Atmos setup. The imaging improvement you've heard with Dirac in stereo, when applied to a 180 degree 3D soundstage creates the illusion of speakers disappearing and a coherent half-sphere soundstage that goes beyond the bounds of the room. Easy to use advanced room correction is the stuff that matters the most for audio quality and overall subjective experience in my opinion.

Maybe I've missd it along the way, but I never saw a straight answer as to DLBC support on the Onkyo's? Is it just Dirac Live or can you buy the bass mgmt add-on as well?

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
Maybe I've missd it along the way, but I never saw a straight answer as to DLBC support on the Onkyo's? Is it just Dirac Live or can you buy the bass mgmt add-on as well?
There's no DBLC support on Onkyo TX-RZ50 and it has only a single addressable subwoofer output which is split on two RCAs.

Best way to integrate multiple subs with it would be a MiniDSP 2x4HD and Multi-Sub Optimizer to compute PEQ that would minimize seat-to-seat variations. Not sure how it compares to DBLC, but the results I'm getting with it are great.

srslee

I'm waiting for inventory on HTP-1 to re-stock. As far as I can tell, especially if you want DLBC, I think the HTP-1 is one of the better value propositions out there. I run 2.2 right now on an integrated with DL, but would like LFE for movies + DLBC, and also would give me the option to add speakers down the line for HT. FWIW, I far prefer DL to other RC I've used (Audyssey/YPAO). As noted above though, AVR + MiniDSP 2x4 HD have given me great results in the past.

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Htp-1 has no plans of being replaced, just upgradeable boards similar to the higher end Denon/Marantz series, at least that is what Hobie from Monoprice said on the official htp-1 thread over on avs forums.

The htp-1 is also getting into the super user customizable stuff. You can import REW filters directly, store multiple calibrations to quickly switch back and forth, and a lot more.

Look at the custom demo web GUI here (made by @pinkSoda on avs forums)

I am running mine with the DLBC option and it does a very nice job.

Jdunk54nl

The other alternatives is the jbl sdp55 IIRC. But none of the lower lines as far as I know are offering DLBC.

But this shows nearly all of the options available:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Htp-1 has no plans of being replaced, just upgradeable boards similar to the higher end Denon/Marantz series, at least that is what Hobie from Monoprice said on the official htp-1 thread over on avs forums.

The htp-1 is also getting into the super user customizable stuff. You can import REW filters directly, store multiple calibrations to quickly switch back and forth, and a lot more.

Look at the custom demo web GUI here (made by @pinkSoda on avs forums)

I am running mine with the DLBC option and it does a very nice job.
Have you had any of the boot issues With your HTP1?

Jdunk54nl

Have you had any of the boot issues With your HTP1?
I had one "random" reboot, but that was when I exited dirac live and then the htp-1 rebooted. This shouldn't have happened, but it just rebooted and all was well.

Also in full disclosure, I have only owned it for about a month. I do have another friend that has one locally (who I bought this off of because he wanted a "spare" in case of any issues) that hasn't had issues either. He has had his for a few months now.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had one "random" reboot, but that was when I exited dirac live and then the htp-1 rebooted. This shouldn't have happened, but it just rebooted and all was well.

Also in full disclosure, I have only owned it for about a month. I do have another friend that has one locally (who I bought this off of because he wanted a "spare" in case of any issues) that hasn't had issues either. He has had his for a few months now.
When I was shopping, I almost purchased it about 3 times, but the reboot issue stopped me. The HTP1 basically does everything you could ask for The only thing lacking at this point is DTSX Pro, which was the other important feature I wanted.

Jdunk54nl

When I was shopping, I almost purchased it about 3 times, but the reboot issue stopped me. The HTP1 basically does everything you could ask for The only thing lacking at this point is DTSX Pro, which was the other important feature I wanted.

What’s your speaker layout? I.e. why do you need dtsx pro?

Jdunk54nl

9 base layer (with FW speakers)
6 tops
1 center height
Yup, so you would be one of the "crazy" people that have too many channels and need dtsx pro.

For others, the normal dts x can do 11 base/height channels so like a 7.x.4 or 9.x.2 and sub channel. Note: the number of subs you have doesn't matter, you could have 12 subs, but they all still get the .1 input signal.

Dtsx pro, IIRC, can do 32 channels. So you only need that if you have more than 11 channels, like DJ does.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yup, so you would be one of the "crazy" people that have too many channels and need dtsx pro.

For others, the normal dts x can do 11 base/height channels so like a 7.x.4 or 9.x.2 and sub channel. Note: the number of subs you have doesn't matter, you could have 12 subs, but they all still get the .1 input signal.

Dtsx pro, IIRC, can do 32 channels. So you only need that if you have more than 11 channels, like DJ does.
Yes, DTSX Pro is only for those beyond 11 chanels... but the HTP1 is a 16 channel processor, so it is just surprising that hasn't happened yet. Both 7.x.6 and 9.x.4 are both popular layouts. The HTP1 I believe can also handle 9.x.6 which would leve just one sub output that you could use a minidsp if you had multiple subs. But yes, you are 100% correct that Pro brings nothing if you doing 11 channels or less.

Jdunk54nl

DTSX pro hasn't happened on quite a few processors that have promised it. My guess is it is a DTS pro issue not a processor issue.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DTSX pro hasn't happened on quite a few processors that have promised it. My guess is it is a DTS pro issue not a processor issue.
Am I correct that Arcam/JBL/Anthem models don't have DTSX Pro as well?

Jdunk54nl

Am I correct that Arcam/JBL/Anthem models don't have DTSX Pro as well?
Pretty sure that is correct (but I could be wrong), and they all promised it like the htp-1.

I think trinnov offers it, storm audio, and some other super expensive ones. Denon avr's get it on the 6700h and 8500ha

poopy

The main problem with the HTP1 is.... its availability. It has been out of stock since last September/October and we still don't know when it will be back in stock as of now.

Top Bottom