• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AI and Future of Music Production

DanielT

Major Contributor
Legislation is always playing catch up with technology. It is difficult or impossible to legislate for technology (especially disruptive tech) before it exists.
The new EU legislation regarding AI has tried to take into account what you point out by being proactively and flexibly designed. How it will then work in practice remains to be seen.

Phenoez8

AI generated music.. Spending so much time seeing if this could be done, never stopped to think if this should be done. Creation happens with human experience, and should be based on the life stories of the individual artists. Getting the created product without the creative process means nothing to me. If students can't turn in a piece of AI written essay, then creative professionals should not be able to claim AI generated stuff as their work.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The new EU legislation regarding AI has tried to take into account what you point out by being proactively and flexibly designed. How it will then work in practice remains to be seen.
Agreed - but in order to do that, they are trying to make reasonable predictions based on what is already existent. The legislation will fail (or more accurately will need to be adapted) when AI is developed in an unpredictable direction.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
<- can't wait for two AI lawyers to argue an AI Music Copyright Infringement Case concerning an AI Composition before an AI Judge and Jury

recycle

comparing pop music and AI generated music I cannot perceive any discrepancy in creativity, therefore the controversy "human music is more creative" in my opinion makes no sense. If instead we want to argue that AI will take jobs away from pop music artists, well, who cares

Mikig

I think it's going to be dramatic.

People have handed over their lives to “social networks”. Algorithms work like the herdsman with the whistle and the sheepdogs, moving the flock from one side to the other...

if AI also takes over the typical spaces of human creativity, music, art, literature and so on, we will live in an absolutely fake, artificial, non-human world, bent to the will of the usual 10 who will also decide how to experience personal emotions... then there will be no escape... freedom will just be a word to read in 20th century dictionaries... .

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
comparing pop music and AI generated music I cannot perceive any discrepancy in creativity, therefore the controversy "human music is more creative" in my opinion makes no sense. If instead we want to argue that AI will take jobs away from pop music artists, well, who cares
Depends.

Music speaks to emotion. When a writer of music uses their own experience to evoke emotion - it is authentic. When I listen to music I oftern wonder what a songwriter has gone through to come up with the lyrics.

An AI can mimic that emotion in songs - but the emotion is not based on anything real. It is not authentic. It is in fact (literally) soulless.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Next step. Spotify fixes AI generated generic relax songs:

recycle

Depends.

Music speaks to emotion. When a writer of music uses their own experience to evoke emotion - it is authentic. When I listen to music I oftern wonder what a songwriter has gone through to come up with the lyrics.

An AI can mimic that emotion in songs - but the emotion is not based on anything real. It is not authentic. It is in fact (literally) soulless.
Yeah, this is an example where artists uses their own experience to evoke authentic emotions:

The Outhere Brothers - Boom Boom Boom (lyrics)

I say boom boom boom let me hear u say wayo
I say boom boom boom now everybody say wayo
I say boom boom boom now everbody say wayo

Baha Men - Who Let the Dogs Out? (lyrics)

Who let the dogs out? (Who, who, who, who)
Who let the dogs out?(Who, who, who, who)

Nicki Minaj - Stupid Hoe (lyrics)

You a stupid hoe, you a, you a stupid hoe
You a stupid hoe, yeah, you a, you a stupid hoe
You a stupid hoe, you a, you a stupid hoe (Stupid, stupid)

I guess that at this point, with the use of AI we can only improve the fate of music and humanity

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, this is an example where artists uses their own experience to evoke authentic emotions:

There are all sorts of emotions, and all sorts of inspirations for those emotions - including** going to a club with your mates.

(**just as an example - as in my post above you attempted to straw man :rolleyes:, I'm not trying claim all music is the same, or that my point applies universally to every song ever written )

Axo1989

Major Contributor
As someone more involved in AI/machine learning in general, I think AI for music is going to be a big nothing burger at least in the foreseeable future.

Consider this:
  • AI model use to create new music given a prompt is only as good as the prompt's content. This implies creativity needed in order to get a creative output, which doesn't change much with respect to whether new tools increase or decrease creativity.
  • Intelligence models are only ever as good as their training data. If you try to infer data outside of their training set, then it doesn't work. The reason we don't notice this with our human brains is because we have thousands to millions of years of model training experience along with several decades of multimodal information collection.
  • Training new models requires inordinate amounts of computing power, and until some big advance comes along (analog photonics processing!) and makes this cheaper and faster, model training is super expensive and time consuming to get a quality result.
  • AIs don't actually "know" anything about music, specifically music theory rules. The same is true of other AIs solving math problems. There is currently research here to figure out how to add concrete rules and proofs to models, but it's not clear whether this is realistic or possible yet.
  • If you're concerned about AIs replacing musicians, then just get into live music because AIs will never be able to replace that by definition.
Basically, until something big happens, AI is similar to the change brought by the ability to record individual tracks instead of a band playing live.
I expect the seed and training to be my existing library of content. Pretty sure synthesis based on that dataset is in our future.

Personally, I'm hoping the AI merchants start losing copyright cases based on their use of global training corpuses of other people's materials. That may be optimistic.

Like the example in the OP, some people's tastes and imaginations may well peak at the "John Lennon singing Jonny Cash" level of pastiche. But other approaches are possible when we consider AI as creative tools. For example, Bronze.ai envisages artists using their own IP as the training corpus.

Using a pre-release version, Arca issued her album track Riquiqui—generated as 100 Bronze instances—in 2020.

In 2022 the A24 Films release Everything, Everywhere, All at Once applied Bronze to the Son Lux/Mitski/David Byrne track This is a Life to parallel the film's narrative and genre layering.

All of which is a lot more fun than generative/derivative pop pastiche.

recycle

There are all sorts of emotions, and all sorts of inspirations for those emotions - including** going to a club with your mates.

(**just as an example - as in my post above you attempted to straw man :rolleyes:, I'm not trying claim all music is the same, or that my point applies universally to every song ever written )
The point that "human music is better than AI music" does not add up: I've given you some examples, if they aren't enough, just turn on the FM radio to confirm the level of junk that's around. Actually I believe that AI can be an excellent aid in human activities (that's what it was invented for). If some artist then feels threatened by AI, it means that deep down he isn't that much of an artist: it's better for him to find another job

AdrianusG

I guess that at this point, with the use of AI we can only improve the fate of music and humanity
That's not fair, you are comparing a bunch of degenerates (no, not because of their skin color!) with real musicians, and yes AI can only improve on this kind of utter garbage.

I can only image that Mingus ; Monk ; Blakey ; Shorter and Corea and many many other REAL genius musicians (colored or otherwise) are constantly turning over in their graves when they should hear this yeach.:eek:

recycle

That's not fair, you are comparing a bunch of degenerates (no, not because of their skin color!) with real musicians, and yes AI can only improve on this kind of utter garbage.

I can only image that Mingus ; Monk ; Blakey ; Shorter and Corea and many many other REAL genius musicians (colored or otherwise) are constantly turning over in their graves when they should hear this yeach.:eek:
If the artists you mentioned could have known AI, they would not have seen it as a threat, on the contrary, they would have found all the creative possibilities of the technology. If you like jazz, you will remember Herbie Hancock when he dedicated an entire album to hiphop-influenced electronic music (Future Shock): it was a scandal for jazz purists, yet that album went down in history by winning the 1984 Grammy Award.
AI will become a source of inspiration for artists, as technological innovations always have been

Axo1989

Major Contributor

Lyrics perform many functions in different styles of music, and are employed differently by artists within styles and genres. Sometimes they are narrative, sometimes poetic, sometimes they are simply rhythmic. Lack of the former doesn't imply anything other than that narrative wasn't important for that particular work.

AdrianusG

If the artists you mentioned could have known AI, they would not have seen it as a threat, on the contrary, they would have found all the creative possibilities of the technology. If you like jazz, you will remember Herbie Hancock when he dedicated an entire album to hiphop-influenced electronic music (Future Shock): it was a scandal for jazz purists, yet that album went down in history by winning the 1984 Grammy Award.
AI will become a source of inspiration for artists, as technological innovations always have been
Quite possible, but as I already said, these were actually artists, and geniuses at that.

AdrianusG

Lyrics perform many functions in different styles of music, and are employed differently by artists within styles and genres. Sometimes they are narrative, sometimes poetic, sometimes they are simply rhythmic. Lack of the former doesn't imply anything other than that narrative wasn't important for that particular work.
In the above given examples, which lyrics? , sorry i don't quite follow here.
for this kind of ehm.. lets for the sake or argument call it music, MP3 at the lowest possible quality is more than adequate.

Top Bottom