• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AHB2 Mono v Stereo - what is audible?

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How is foobar doing the level adjustment? It doesn't seem to agree with the RMS values that Audacity gives.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
@SIY and @restorer-john , I think I have an unfair advantage over both of you if you don't have a subwoofer in your test setup. My computer room setup has a 12" sub that was eq using REW and minidsp to match my speakers and to have pretty good flat freq all the way down to 20hz.

Thus, the loud sub bass rumbling is very easy to tell. If I don't have the subwoofer, I might get similar kind of results like both of you.

Like another said, maybe this sub bass rumbling is not part of the song and should be taken out of the song......

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
@SIY and @restorer-john , I think I have an unfair advantage over both of you if you don't have a subwoofer in your test setup. My computer room setup has a 12" sub that was eq using REW and minidsp to match my speakers and to have pretty good flat freq all the way down to 20hz.

Thus, the loud sub bass rumbling is very easy to tell. If I don't have the subwoofer, I might get similar kind of results like both of you.

Like another said, maybe this sub bass rumbling is not part of the song and should be taken out of the song......
I didn’t have any results, I was just noticing something odd…

No subwoofers here, but my mains extend to 19 Hz. And the noise is one more reason to not try this with a mike. Level match the electrical signal at the speaker terminals with pink noise, then record that.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I didn’t have any results, I was just noticing something odd…

No subwoofers here, but my mains extend to 19 Hz. And the noise is one more reason to not try this with a mike. Level match the electrical signal at the speaker terminals with pink noise, then record that.
I see. I guess you can hear the difference in the sub bass around 5 seconds?

Kundroc

I see. I guess you can hear the difference in the sub bass around 5 seconds?
First try

1623954140308.png

Not hard if you focus on the bass. Not sure, this tells anything about the initial question.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really, seriously...?

Just take the two original files, let Foobar auto level match them (which it does a damn good job of doing), and do a genuine ABX and post your results complete with the level trim and the hash as it shows on the window (fully expanded)

Not hard at all.

Just downloaded it. Watching a youtube video explaining how to use it atm. I'm assuming I'll pass this one pretty easily(due to the bass tell), but I'm super interested in trying it for other things.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Turning it up rather loud, file 2 vibrates my cabinets, but file 1 doesn't :D.
One thing I found kind of strange is that the SHA1 of my files are different than all who tried. Good thing is everyone observed similar bass difference for file 2.
: )

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which is to say I prefer mono. One amp per speaker. The bass is always lacking in stereo as we have noticed....

I'm not sure sure the bass is actually lacking in stereo. To me it sounds like something happened that corrupted the recording(wind noise is a good guess).

I say that because the excess bass in mono mode sounds bad. It doesn't sound like it's part of the music.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
One thing I found kind of strange is that the SHA1 of my files are different than all who tried. Good thing is everyone observed similar bass difference for file 2.
: )
I was wondering the same thing in my earlier post.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure sure the bass is actually lacking in stereo. To me it sounds like something happened that corrupted the recording(wind noise is a good guess).

I say that because the excess bass in mono mode sounds bad. It doesn't sound like it's part of the music.
Not related to the recording, but I am wondering about mono adding bass (whether audible or just measurable, which it should be). If there is no other cause except lower damping factor, then why not just use EQ to boost the bass. If the AHB2 clipping lights are not coming on, it seems clear to me that it is better to take advantage of the better SINAD running in stereo.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I was wondering the same thing in my earlier post.
I wonder how both files' sha1 can be different, but still play fine...

Anyway, I downloaded the files one more time and this time the SHA1 are matching. Still very easy to tell them apart....

mono_vs_stereo_ahb2_abx_result_3.PNG

Top Bottom