• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

After joy Division & New Order ... what?

mrbungle

Pretty comprehensive lists. I maybe see Editors missing. Varying quality though. John Maus. Iceage (more punk than new wave). Scott Walker. Cold Cave.

Last edited:

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forgot to add... A great tune to enjoy for "hifi purposes" is Love and Rockets - Saudade...
Reminds me...I was shopping speakers ~1985. Didn't have the money to go overboard (B&W probably if I didn't have to buy a whole new system), I was liking a pair of bookshelf Cantons, seemed good for the money. Don't recall what I was putting them up against, but the hi-fi shop owner spun this tune Ciel Ouvert (Yellow) on CD. Immediately cost me more money (had to step up to Canton CT-1000 on low floor stands). Coudn't unhear the low end (but just notice it even sounds awesome on my little MTMs).

On the same album, another great stereo test on full range speakers (where you feel the "chunk-chunks" in your chest), Desire...

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Reminds me...I was shopping speakers ~1985. Didn't have the money to go overboard (B&W probably if I didn't have to buy a whole new system), I was liking a pair of bookshelf Cantons, seemed good for the money. Don't recall what I was putting them up against, but the hi-fi shop owner spun this tune Ciel Ouvert (Yellow) on CD. Immediately cost me more money (had to step up to Canton CT-1000 on low floor stands). Coudn't unhear the low end (but just notice it even sounds awesome on my little MTMs).

On the same album, another great stereo test on full range speakers (where you feel the "chunk-chunks" in your chest), Desire...

Ahh yes... Yello has probably moved more speakers than they'd care to know... Here's another track that tests your system

puppet

Great post. With the exception of a handful of groups mentioned ... a whole shitload of music I've missed out on.

syn08

From the new wave of UK post punk, the closest to the Joy Division sound and spirit is probably Fontaines D.C.

You may also be interested in the late Faust sound

IDLES is also worth a shot:

Going further East, Zvuki Mu, a band and a leader (Pyotr Mamonov) born likely too early and in the wrong place

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
How do I favorite i post so that I can find it later?
Bookmark in web browser, then screenshot it and filename including keywords/tags. I do that because most of the time I never see the bookmarks again.

The ultimate list for the period.
...Never mind any "best of" lists by music magazines/internet.

Big up ++ for including David Bowie. The one single/main influence in the list.

You can find what you like - from nice pop songs by Spandau Ballet to Killing Joke wall of sound and the genius of Jaz.

Amazing flourishing of creativity...obviously didn't stop in the 70s.
Mostly UK of course. ... :)

Katji

Major Contributor
I sadly never saw the Au Pairs. Great band! I did see Crass though - excellent fun! And I even saw Joy Division supporting the Buzzcocks which was ... memorable.
:) Lesley [Au Pairs] she became a lawyer, I found out recently when I got the pics...Getty Images, pretty much all there is.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Big up ++ for including David Bowie. The one single/main influence in the list.
I'd add The Velvets as the other towering influence, but yes, I probably listened to as much Bowie as any other artist on that list at the time. As did anyone else I knew.

But the real influence on any British artist at the time – or anyone else interested in decent music – was of course the John Peel Show. If OP really wants to check out what to listen to after JD and NO then there's no better source than The Perfumed Garden blog where you can download hundreds of old John Peel Shows – often in authentic third generation wobbly cassette quality – from the late sixties onwards. That's certainly where I first heard pretty much every artist on that list.

Mostly UK of course. ...
Well, there are a few select Europeans there and some token Americans just so they don't feel left out ... ;-)

Katji

Major Contributor
:) Yes I was going to say Shout outs to Television and Patti Smith.
I saw The Doors there too. Well. :-s Even worse pain remembering misappropriated records.
And if rockists are valid, then The Damned has to be included too.

Top Bottom