• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ADVICE REGARDING SYSTEM UPGRADES PLEASE

ADVICE REGARDING SYSTEM UPGRADES PLEASE
----------------------------

IN BRIEF:

System:

Fronts Revel M105s (new this week)

Sub: SVS SB1000 Pro – (arriving tomorrow)

surrounds and centre: Q-Acoustic AV (which going to keep at present)

SONY DA2400ES AVR powering everything (needs to change)

Chromecast Audio streaming, and connected via Toslink to AVR (new this week)

No separate DAC

Looking for best Bang-for Bucks way to improve the system (music more than movies, but hopefully both). Budget around £1500 ($2000), whilst keeping Mrs happy…(no big black boxes)

Grateful for what people suggest.
Thank you in anticipation

(Detailed request to follow below)

OP
B

BadgerMaster

ADVICE REGARDING SYSTEM UPGRADES /SET-UP PLEASE

-------------------------------------

IN DETAIL:
Want to improve my combined system for Music more than for home-cinema. But hopefully both in parallel. Looking for bang-for-bucks (or rather for £ sterling) for quality. It also must have high ‘Wife Acceptance Factor’ (WAF); in this case: white, styled, and as unobtrusive as possible (I might also through in some white lies about cost). I’ve started from a high WAF position, but pretty low audio quality (Q-Acoustics Q-AV speakers and AVR). Although. have bought some new kit in past couple weeks.

Not esp knowledgeable about / good at physics; DIY electronics a no go. Although (as an aside) , there is a Raspberry Pi 400 kit - enclosed in a keyboard – kicking around unused,. if that could be pressed into use, Maybe my 13 year old code do any software stuff.

BUDGET: around £2500-£3500, preferably at towards lower end, of which almost half has already been spent (Chromecast audio, new fronts and (on order) Subwoofer). Leaving £1250-1750 ($1650 -$2400) to play with, with DAC and amplification being the main things.

I could do above this if it was definitely going to give a major step up in performance that I would be likely to appreciate; and / or if there was a particular time-limited bargain to be picked up. Also happy to not spend the whole budget.

MUSIC: I’d like to have a system that allows me to listen to music across range of classical, vocal Jazz, gothic-punk and rock. However, (with apologies if this offends the purists), I mostly listen to electronic music having once been a clubber back-in-the-day, including dance/house, big-beat and techno.

USERS/ AUDIENCE: Primarily used by me, but teenage boys who will also use to watch Netflix/Movies and wife to put music on (using voice-control via Alexa / Fire-cube / Amazon-music).

In terms of quality, I’m the only one who will take any real notice at home. I like to fiddle with thing and can be obsessive about getting about details and getting thing ‘right’, but then tend to move on to focusing on another project. Based on my primary listening preference you’ll already have realized I’m not the most refined. I’m not totally cloth eared, but certainly no golden ear either.

LISTENING SPACE / LAYOUT: Living room. Approx 12’ wide, 20’ long and 9’ high. i.e 2160 cubic feet.

To the left a bay window to the right currently open plan to dining room. But going to be repartitioned with acoustic glass wall (to 38DB) as part of building works next year. So working sett up assuming for dimensions above

Listening position dead central (10m from either end of living room). Sofa back against wall. No latitude to move sofa.

TV attached to chimney breast (14” deep). Centre speaker below TV (22” from floor), Front speakers are 12” from wall. And sit 6-8 inches from side of chimney breast, but project in front of it (centre of cone by approx. The fronts are 7’ apart approx. 9.5 ft from primary listening position, slightly toed-in, sitting in on weighted stands 60 cm from floor. The position the Sofa and the front & centre speakers (bar minor adjustment) are essentially fixed factors. There is no room for floor standing speakers.

There is slim Sub (see below) front left hung on the wall front left ‘corner’ (into curved Bay window). I could keep this or not. Either plan to buy new sub which will have to sit front right, angled in – approx. 1m to side of front right speaker)

There is a low, 180 cm wide, heavy AV cabinet which houses (and hides) the AV-amp and BD player, Chromecast, all plugs / transformers, wires and ethernet splitter. There is room in there for a 2nd amp, and a DAC, but not an awful lot else if air-flow to be preserved. Any new components need to live in the cabinet, out of site (behind the black glass ‘window’).

MUSIC SOURCE: Mostly from Synology NAS. Moving to slowly to convert CDs to FLAC; most ripped to 192KB VBR MP3 & Ogg (using EAC).

As aforementioned, the Mrs uses Alexa to play tracks from Amazon Prime Music via the Fire-Cube

No separate CD player. No plans to get one. Guess could use BD, but don’t.

STREAMING: Casting to Chromecast Audio from Synology as DNLA using HiFI Cast on Android Phone (also have USB Audio Player, but Casting is unstable). Toslink Optical cable.

There is good Wifi and also wired ethernet.

This recent change from using Squeezebox Duet (sadly broken) and then Chromecast and Fire-Cube to ACR via HDMI.

DAC: No separate DAC (Squeezebox RIP). Therefore Currently that within the AVR.

AMPLIFIER:

Another area looking for advice and understand there may be multiple possible approaches (all presumably with compromises given budgetary constraints)

No dedicated stereo Amp for several years (my Marantz PM66SE packed in)

At present only have SONY DA2400ES AVR doing it all. Capable of 7.1. Not unhappy with it as things stand for movies. My new front speakers are such an improvement that even musically it’s doing relatively OK (with direct sound setting). However, other settings to allow base to come in disappointing. it is also getting long in the tooth (I’ve had since 2010). It doesn’t support 4K TV - and in the next year or 2 I expect I will get a 4K TV as prices for decent 65” OLED sets continue to fall.

SPEAKERS

FRONT SPEAKER:
I have bought, just this week, a pair of new Revel M105s (white); which I picked up for a bargain £799 (from Nintronics). They are amazing, massive improvement in quality even given limitation of rest of system. Many Thanks for the review Amirm – they wouldn’t have been on my radar had I not seen your comments (and review) about. And didn’t imagine in my price bracket (looking for Revel M16s when found this bargain)

They replace a (very) old pair of Mission 701s which had been residing in my parents’ loft for over a decade which I had dug out, but ‘sadly’ immediately failed the WAF test. I mention these because I love these speakers for their delivery of electronic music. They are not very neutral but have amazing bass for their size. The M105s beat them hands down on everything (including Laurent Garnier – Techno) apart from Trip-Hop (Portishead, Massive Attack) which has really deep base in it. With the upshot being I need to get new subwoofer to go with the new fronts for music (as well as Movies)

SUB-WOOFER: At present I have a 13 year old Q-Acoustics AV-Sub. It’s not ‘man enough’ for the job. But is relative unobtrusive. Being white, only 17cm deep and mounted to the wall above the skirting board. Angled into room front left corner.

After reading some of the threads here, and then reviews on audio-phonics I’ve ordered a SWS SB1000 Pro Sub. Which on paper should, I hope, get the balance right between performance and WAF. Although, there is going to be a skirmish over even a 33cm white cube being added to the floor.

CENTRE SPEAKER (UK spelling):

Q-Acoustics LCR 50 – this is a width adjustable passive sound bar, with 3 separate speakers. NTX rather than conventional design. Using centre only. It’s performance is OK. No way going to stretch to Revel 205C (£1000) let alone 208C (£2000). As bracket so wide and recessed into wall bit of pain to change for a narrower centre. As will have to do fill in holes / sand down / paint etc. So while open to possible option for a better centre (so I can keep my out for a bargain) think this be the last thing I change.

SURROUNDS

2 Pairs on Q-Acoustic AV Surrounds currently wall mounted very close to ceiling (too high to be optimal for 7.1 set up) .

Also have pain Mission 77DS Dipole speakers which I picked up on ebay last and mounted on wall last weekend. They much improved the surround experience (in part position) but just larger, more capable speakers. However they are relatively large and black. Thus have failed the WAF test and will go back on ebay. I have another pair currently in dining room which plan to mount lower to use as low surrounds. Which won’t sound as good but will have to do. Again open to ideas so I can keep an eye out for a bargain; but spending money on surrounds is not the priority.

Help / Advice gratefully received – if you would be so kind please

--------------------------------------

I was wondering whether if I got a Denon AVR3007H (£1150 / $) that might suffice. Full stop.

But assuming otherwise

Would adding a Behringer A800 Amp (£180) to power the fronts provide a significant upgrade in performance?
How does one switch between inputs on the A800?

And if I did that whether a Topping E/D 30/50 (??which) could / should act as a pre-amp for music to the Behringer. In terms of quality and of practicality. Are the Topping DACS of sufficient quality acting as pre-amps?
I think the answer to this si going to be no (please excuse my ignorance)

Definitely hoping for suggestions wrt AMPS. Seen that the Nord Amps score highly. Bit confused what is what with these. Also take most of / all of budget. IS there anything recommended in-between? I auditioned a Music Fidelity MSi2 when I went to listen too speakers, I had high hopes, but lacked a bit of oomph. Certainly compared to the YBA heritage A200 I also listened to as well (could get for £1000). I Wondered about the Cambridge Audio CAX81 (again possibly as a complete solution). Unfortunately out-of stock in UK presently

I am also unclear how to connect the subwoofer best so can use optimally for both Music and Home cinema with any of these options. Or even if it is possible to do so. I also wondered about the pros/cons/ practicalities of running (in the long run if not immediately) a 5.2.4 setup with with SB1000 and also keeping the Q-AV sub. Help!

On the subject of subwoofers. Open to other suggestions as have not received the SVS SB1000 Pro yet. But already rejected NK Electronics (great value, geographically close but not aesthetically acceptable) and Ardrenal 1961s (were in running until realised inputs on the right side / would be highly visible).

Ditto centre and surrounds (just in case a bargain came up). Don’t see either the Revel C208c or even C205c as being options due to £££.

Many thanks – just for reading if you have got this far.

Hopefully someone can offer some sagely advice.

NirreFirre

Forum Donor
A bit too many areas to single out a particular one to get any marked improvements now that the front speakers are "done" but you do seem to have little to no acoustical treatment/items. IMHO not very much use to do a lot of electronics before the room is somewhat dealt with but perhaps you do have some thick rugs >15mm in front, curtains and various "voluminous" furniture already? I dealt with it by pointing out my issues in hearing movie dialogue and getting huge wool rugs and a few custom printed panels from https://www.sofsci.com/, her own photographs on 3 striking 70x100cm are strategy gold imo ).

If you really want to do more boxes.. A Dirac enabled amp (Onkyo and Pioneer new units are looking good but still in way too short supply, and not even available outside the US at the moment) or a DSP box (miniDSP variant such as SHD [Power] is 2ch only but still..) could be something to consider. If you are in the US, a pretty well regarded Monoprice HPT-1 AVR is looking good, but also like you can burn most of the budget though..

Others could have more placement or setup tips. A photo or two and a rough floor plan with openings, windows, the speakers and large furniture placed would help us "see" your place better

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Want to improve my combined system for Music more than for home-cinema.
AMPLIFIER:
At present only have SONY DA2400ES AVR doing it all. Capable of 7.1. ...It doesn’t support 4K TV - and in the next year or 2 I expect I will get a 4K TV as prices for decent 65” OLED sets continue to fall.
I was wondering whether if I got a Denon AVR3007H (£1150 / $) that might suffice. Full stop.
I don't know about your subs or surrounds, but that Denon seems like a pretty solid choice, partly for support of newer technologies including 4K video and Dolby Atmos soundtracks. But also for it's Audyssey room correction. Big advantage of Audyssey as implemented in that Denon is that it gives you some degree of control over it's target response (via $20 app) whereas I have no idea what target response Sony's DCAC is designed to match.

Power amplifiers, DACs: People certainly like buying them, but audible differences between competently-designed amps and DACs tends to be pretty minimal, so I don't see any real benefit for doing this versus upgrading / updating your AVR.

beren777

Start with in-room measurements once you have your speakers and sub, before and after room correction if your AVR supports room correction. Otherwise you're just blindly throwing things at the wall. If measurements show any significant issues then you know what direction to go.

If both music + movies are a use case, then I'd look at a Denon AVR over a MiniDSP. Use the Denon as your music streamer via HEOS + Tidal or Amazon Music. You can use your phone to control HEOS.

OP
B

BadgerMaster

Thanks for replying @NirreFirre, @JeffS7444 & @beren777
Until the living room is partitioned and the bay windows replaced with double glazing next year, investing in 'acoustical treatments' prob doesn't make sense; and any soft furnishing would need the approval of my wife anyhow

Reading some more about the Denon AVRs: It appears the 4700H allows you to specify the speaker size, whether to use the Subwoofer for 2 channel play back, as well as play choose the crossover frequency. However, those features not present on the 3700H. Which otherwise very similar in terms of performance (except multizone which not bothered about). Shame as the 4700 if about 35% - £400 ($550) - more expensive which is prohibitively expensive (object to paying that for very little additional performance out of principal)

Not come across Mini-DSP before. Maybe Denon 3700H + MiniDSP + Behringer A800 would be better.
Or maybe I should just hold fire until Denon 4700H starts being discounted....

Thanks again for replying

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome aboard, aptly named ASR member.
I think I heard you say you are looking for power amps as well as an AVR: you can save some of them shillings (£?) by going separates fully.
Me thinx, it will also give you the flexibility, not forced to throw out the power amp when you know you must replace the A/V part of that receiver in the future anyways, when HDMIv3 comes out or a new Dolby Meta version is introduced that turns your walls into one single whole room transducer, instead of relying on an old relic 9.1 system....

sgent

Thanks for replying @NirreFirre, @JeffS7444 & @beren777
Until the living room is partitioned and the bay windows replaced with double glazing next year, investing in 'acoustical treatments' prob doesn't make sense; and any soft furnishing would need the approval of my wife anyhow

Reading some more about the Denon AVRs: It appears the 4700H allows you to specify the speaker size, whether to use the Subwoofer for 2 channel play back, as well as play choose the crossover frequency. However, those features not present on the 3700H. Which otherwise very similar in terms of performance (except multizone which not bothered about). Shame as the 4700 if about 35% - £400 ($550) - more expensive which is prohibitively expensive (object to paying that for very little additional performance out of principal)

Not come across Mini-DSP before. Maybe Denon 3700H + MiniDSP + Behringer A800 would be better.
Or maybe I should just hold fire until Denon 4700H starts being discounted....

Thanks again for replying

I'm in the market for a new AVR, but am waiting for the Pioneer / Onkyo reviews before taking the plunge. $1300 Dirac and Sonos integration is a gamechanger assuming it isn't a broken implementation.

SKBubba

Reading some more about the Denon AVRs: It appears the 4700H allows you to specify the speaker size, whether to use the Subwoofer for 2 channel play back, as well as play choose the crossover frequency. However, those features not present on the 3700H.

The 3700h has all those features. The 4700h adds Auro 3D, 20 watts per channel, an extra hdmi input, and an extra playback zone. There are a few other internal processing differences for multi-channel. Both have Audyssey MultEQ XT32.

OP
B

BadgerMaster

The 3700h has all those features. The 4700h adds Auro 3D, 20 watts per channel, an extra hdmi input, and an extra playback zone. There are a few other internal processing differences for multi-channel. Both have Audyssey MultEQ XT32.
Thanks My mistake then; if you are definitely sure? For 2 channel playback? Do u have or used one?. I saw on another thread, or possibly forum it was the case. Then, as surprised/ disappointed, I tried to verify. Could find the feature in in online 4700 manual, but not the 3700. Perhaps didn't look well enough... or not spelt out...

Last edited:

SKBubba

Thanks My mistake then; if you are definitely sure? For 2 channel playback? Do u have or used one?. I saw on another thread, or possibly forum it was the case. Then, as surprised/ disappointed, I tried to verify. Could find the feature in in online 4700 manual, but not the 3700. Perhaps didn't look well enough... or not spelt out...

Maybe we're talking about two different features? Where in the 4700h manual do you see what you are referring to?

I have a 3600h. You can set speaker size, number of channels and number of subs (1 or 2). I believe on the 3700h you can save multiple different configurations.

You can use subs and set the crossover in 2 channel ("stereo") mode, but it only works with Audyssey on. Doesn't work in direct mode. Is that the difference?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm in the market for a new AVR, but am waiting for the Pioneer / Onkyo reviews before taking the plunge. $1300 Dirac and Sonos integration is a gamechanger assuming it isn't a broken implementation.

This is the right mentality to go about this for mid-end budgets. 5dB SINAD difference is irrelevant.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Within your $2000 budget, I would do the following:
  • Add a second SVS Sub because balanced bass at all frequencies between 25Hz and 120Hz is impossible with one sub, even at a single listening position - move your head 12 inches and you may be in a null. I think every subwoofer purchase should come in pairs whether 2 or 4! Spend time positioning them in your room to get flat even bass response at your listening position. No amount of DSP room correction can address nulls/dips.
  • Wait for the Dirac Live Bass Control to be available for $1000 AVRS (maybe Onkyo or Pioneer?) to easily/quickly calibrate your subs.

CBM

• Add a second SVS Sub because balanced bass at all frequencies between 25Hz and 120Hz is impossible with one sub, even at a single listening position - move your head 12 inches and you may be in a null. I think every subwoofer purchase should come in pairs whether 2 or 4! Spend time positioning them in your room to get flat even bass response at your listening position. No amount of DSP room correction can address nulls/dips.
  • Wait for the Dirac Live Bass Control to be available for $1000 AVRS (maybe Onkyo or Pioneer?) to easily/quickly calibrate your subs.
I agree with Spocko. I have M105's with 2 SVS subwoofers and a Denon AVR3400H. I initially had 1 sub and and I could never get smooth bass. Then I added another sub with one on the front wall about 3 feet from the side wall and one diagonally on the back wall. The difference was dramatic. I then ran Audyssey up to 300 Hz and the entire presentation improved. BTW the port holes in the 105's are plugged and they are only 2 inches from the front wall with some DIY absorption panels between the speakers and the wall. The timber and the soundstage is fantastic. Have fun.

John760

Excellent choice of main speakers. Excellent start.

After many years and $$$ in this hobby, I now use a Denon 4700h AVR, which I was able to purchase for $300 off MSRP recently by driving to a nearby city. Improvements over the 3700 also include better remote (still not backlit though), two row display, and a metal faceplate instead of plastic. The 4700 has excellent power per channel, excellent streaming, good digital room correction, excellent digital to analog conversion, and easy sub integration with one or two subs. I have retired an excellent separate source, DAC, preamp, and multiple mono amps. I am sure the 3700 is a great AVR too, but I certainly do not wish I had gotten one instead. (I also don't wish I had gotten the ridiculously expensive 6700.) One downside is the 4700 software has so many options that once in a while things don't seem to work as expected.

There will always be something new about to come out, and the sales team and media will be always be amazed. Prices will always be about to drop, or about to increase. Maybe wait a little for discounts to become a little easier to find, but don't wait for new AVR features. Get one soon that maximizes your speaker performance.

I have two Rythmik F12 subs. They work well together getting rid of pesky nodes for music and reinforcing explosions, trains passing, and so on. However in my current AV room there are no noticeable nodes at my favorite listening positions and one sub make realistic effects as loud as my wife, my ears, and my neighbors can stand. So I have moved the second sub to a dedicated music listening room. My point is buy a second matching sub, but only if you have a problem to solve.

After many years of miss-matched fronts and rears I finally bought all matching speakers. Matching the center (or using a phantom center if the audience is small) makes a big difference. Matching the rears is noticeable and enjoyable but can be done later or much later. Once you do have all matching speakers, or close to that, you may be surprised how easy it is to enjoy the "multi-chanel stereo" option on your AVR when listening to a 2 channel stream. I know I am.

YMMD, this is all just my experience.

OP
B

BadgerMaster

Maybe we're talking about two different features? Where in the 4700h manual do you see what you are referring to?

I have a 3600h. You can set speaker size, number of channels and number of subs (1 or 2). I believe on the 3700h you can save multiple different configurations.

You can use subs and set the crossover in 2 channel ("stereo") mode, but it only works with Audyssey on. Doesn't work in direct mode. Is that the difference?
Yes think that is difference

OP
B

BadgerMaster

Thanks Spoko,

Having received the new sub appreciate (1). It is superb. (2) As you say, there is a clear sound stage. One day may upgrade to 2nd Sub. In foreseeable, happy that moving the Sub to the central position (equidistant / between fronts) works a treat. Just need to move back and forth from of corner of room to listen...

Re Calibration. Not sure what Driac Live is. The SVS app seems pretty good though, having used it today. Manual set-up bit long, but happy. Do you think auto calibration better? Either way, think u r right. Wait a bit.

OP
B

BadgerMaster

Excellent choice of main speakers. Excellent start.

After many years and $$$ in this hobby, I now use a Denon 4700h AVR, which I was able to purchase for $300 off MSRP recently by driving to a nearby city. Improvements over the 3700 also include better remote (still not backlit though), two row display, and a metal faceplate instead of plastic. The 4700 has excellent power per channel, excellent streaming, good digital room correction, excellent digital to analog conversion, and easy sub integration with one or two subs. I have retired an excellent separate source, DAC, preamp, and multiple mono amps. I am sure the 3700 is a great AVR too, but I certainly do not wish I had gotten one instead. (I also don't wish I had gotten the ridiculously expensive 6700.) One downside is the 4700 software has so many options that once in a while things don't seem to work as expected.

There will always be something new about to come out, and the sales team and media will be always be amazed. Prices will always be about to drop, or about to increase. Maybe wait a little for discounts to become a little easier to find, but don't wait for new AVR features. Get one soon that maximizes your speaker performance.

I have two Rythmik F12 subs. They work well together getting rid of pesky nodes for music and reinforcing explosions, trains passing, and so on. However in my current AV room there are no noticeable nodes at my favorite listening positions and one sub make realistic effects as loud as my wife, my ears, and my neighbours can stand. So I have moved the second sub to a dedicated music listening room. My point is buy a second matching sub, but only if you have a problem to solve.

After many years of miss-matched fronts and rears I finally bought all matching speakers. Matching the center (or using a phantom center if the audience is small) makes a big difference. Matching the rears is noticeable and enjoyable but can be done later or much later. Once you do have all matching speakers, or close to that, you may be surprised how easy it is to enjoy the "multi-chanel stereo" option on your AVR when listening to a 2 channel stream. I know I am.

YMMD, this is all just my experience.
Thx John760,

Really, really happy and impressed with my new M105s & SB1000pro. Massive steps up. What u and others makes loads of sense; also reinforces my own ears / thoughts; The sound stage with sub position is obvious.

So saying, if not dominant. Think I can stick with 1 and shift/flex position for movies, dedicated listening sessions; keep mrs happy, and safe £800, by just having one. Wondering (doubting) whether he incremental step-up from old Sony-AVR can be comparable... interested in what u, and others think.

Wish u guys in U.S. could spell 'centre'..... Sure the Revel centre be best. Like to find something nearer £300 ($450) that will integrate. Anyone tried Monitor Audio C150?