• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice needed - Kef LS60 vs Kii vs D&D

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Get the LS60 because they look like the monolith in 2001 and besides they cost less.

Lagtime

I have the LS60s and I love them but if I could afford $13k for the 8c as easily I could the $5k for the LS60 I'd own the Dutch and Dutch.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the LS60s and I love them but if I could afford $12k for the 8c as easily I could the $5k for the LS60 I'd own the Dutch and Dutch.
The word "afford" is tricky. For some that means if you could beg borrow or steal the money. Others take a more conservative approach.

dfuller

Major Contributor
For sound quality value per dollar, of course not. 50$ of first reflection absorption would do more for sound quality than cardioide without treatment.
I am not sure I agree with this - the region that cardioid loading affects requires fairly substantial velocity absorbers. Even if you build them yourself, the material cost of absorbers thick enough to deal with the 200-500hz region is a few hundred bucks.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not sure I agree with this - the region that cardioid loading affects requires fairly substantial velocity absorbers. Even if you build them yourself, the material cost of absorbers thick enough to deal with the 200-500hz region is a few hundred bucks.
Perhaps your estimate is more accurate. But I reckon my point still stands.

BrooklynNick

Are Dutch & Dutch working on any new products? The 8C has been around for quite a few years now. I'd be interested in a bookshelf sized model.

OP
L

Laagman

Can you look at the bottom of the sevens and see if they have the ability to slide on either BXT’s or maybe a different extension unit in the future?

Perfect “excuse” to check them out haha

I asked them. According to the representative of Kii no bass module will be released for the Seven. There is no standard attachment slot either, the bottom is flat.

According to Kii they don’t want the Seven to become too similar to the Three. By releasing a bass module this will happen.

For people that are interested: I also asked if they release other colours besides white and grey. For now they won’t, if the Seven sells well they will.

My listening experience: for such a small speaker the Seven is quiet something. It sounds really clean (though the three sounded more neutral to me, but also more fatiguing, with very sharp treble -> could be the eq setting they used; in the setting of the listening room the Seven sounded somewhat warmer but also more likeable for me).

The bass is also very clean. I couldn’t compare the bass directly to that of the Kii Three because they only wanted to play the Three with the BXT module. Which was amazing to hear, but not something for a living room setup.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Are Dutch & Dutch working on any new products? The 8C has been around for quite a few years now. I'd be interested in a bookshelf sized model.
The 8C is a bookshelf sized model,
Keith, could someone visit your showroom and hear all three?
Only if you bring a pair of Kii Threes with you, my turbulent relationship with Kii has ended, unless of course they change distributor!
Keith

MKR

Major Contributor
The 8C is a bookshelf sized model,

Only if you bring a pair of Kii Threes with you, my turbulent relationship with Kii has ended, unless of course they change distributor!
Keith
Well, it’s definitely on the “largish” size to be called a bookshelf. More like a few volumes of the Encyclopaedia Britannica sitting on your shelf ;)

Top Bottom