• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adobe Reader is now by subscription for rotating and adjusting pages. More $$$!

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I originally wrote Edit menu and have corrected it to View menu. What do you see under your View menu, and could you take a screenshot of Help > About Adobe Acrobat Reader DC
Sooper. The "View/Rotate Clockwise" function works and the shortcut icon demands a subscription. That's a good thing now that I can rotate via the View operations.
adobe about.png

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks muchO guys for the assistance; now I have the rotate operation working.:D

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Thanks muchO guys for the assistance; now I have the rotate operation working.:D
I will have to check this on my venerable Lenovo T430 which has a copy (IIRC) of Reader DC that decided to hold rotation for ransom a few weeks ago! ;)

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Adobe is a blood-sucking slime mold of a company. And their software can be buggy too. :facepalm:

Libre Office / Gimp is good but for images there are some things for which Photoshop is required.

Katji

Major Contributor
Adobe has been [still is, better but still not trustworthy] a known security risk since many years ago. Including Reader. A serious security risk. I'm very surprised to see this here.
When I was warned, wiped off all trace of it. Not just uninstall. Every trace of it.

It was recommended to use Foxit, and i still do, but it bothers me. Why does it have an UpdateService service running? no other ordinary application program does = afaik only anti-virus systems - of course, e,g, Avast.
But i stopped it and it stayed stopped. not listed in [Task Manager] Startup.

1657504626533.png

And if i showed the entire list of services there, you would see that they are all Windows and a few Intel and ASUS.

but :) i'm not sure it does the rotating that you want. but surely it does. is that you can't save it after rotating? afaik, it saves stuff like that per file.

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
...No, doesn't keep it. [wtf?]

Although set to restore view.

Then saved file, closed and restarted, new file also reverted,

Newman

Major Contributor
When I went from Win to MacOS I was shocked at how much the generic inbuilt file viewer can do with pdf files, compared to the total lack of such inbuilt ability with Win and the constant fussing to find an adequate pdf app for basic manoeuvres.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used Foxit years ago but switched to the GPL-licensed SumatraPDF (also on GitHub) when Foxit began bundling toolbars & other BS. No regrets. Sumatra offers plenty of features for my use, and it has proven fast & reliable. Recent versions have annotation but still not full editing AFAIK. Still pretty amazing, because the portable version's under 13MB & easy enough to make the default PDF handler in Win10. There's an installer, if you prefer or insist on a 7MB download...

BTW, check AlternativeTo.net when you're looking for, uh, alternative application options.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why does [Foxit] have an UpdateService service running? no other ordinary application program does = afaik only anti-virus systems - of course, e,g, Avast.
Chrome, Firefox (defeatable in settings), and Brave all have such services to allow updates with no user action other than restarting the app. Recent tech marketed to median users is all about making everything as brain-dead simple as possible, even when that means different programs update differently, making everything less consistent & more confusing in the end. Sorry - I shouldn't get myself started.

Also, if seeing an update service bugs you, be aware of Avast's history of selling users' data. And security lapses, which include distributing malware in CCleaner installers. When an anti-virus company ships malware... Your choice, but they're in my Untrustworthy Vendors file.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Google drive? (tl:dnr outside of original post)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Lots of choices for Win 10, I was away from my home earlier. Looking at my Win 10 laptop, of course all the browsers let you view it, but not save. My copy of Acrobat DC reader lets me rotate without trying to charge me. I mostly use PDF Escape on windows. WPS office is a free software that will among other things do PDFs. I like it because it also has a version for my Android phone. I used Foxit for a long time. Used Sumatra for awhile, but don't have it on this machine now for reasons I don't remember. Libreoffice will do, but it seems slow, bloated and somehow the interface seems unfriendly, but it works.

I used Abiword for a simple word processor for years, but it screwed the pooch on some important documents twice so I dropped it. And Gimp for PDF's somehow I always forget it does them, until eventually I try it out of desperation and it works.

Katji

Major Contributor
Yes ...Thanks.

Chrome, Firefox (defeatable in settings),
Firefox is there. I use it that way.

I didn't take time examining the list. Probably name/description begining with [ ff ], something like that.

and Brave all have such services to allow updates with no user action other than restarting the app. Recent tech marketed to median users is all about making everything as brain-dead simple as possible, even when that means different programs update differently, making everything less consistent & more confusing in the end. Sorry - I shouldn't get myself started.
Yes. Including Avast bothering me about it all the time.

Note, that is [for me] one reason for not changing to W10 or 11. (more "bloat", dubious claims of improved/rationalised UI.)
Another reason is i use Classic Start Menu since first day or 2 of stress with 8.1, fckng "metro apps" shit...and it's not available for W10>
(See, u got me started.) :)

Also, if seeing an update service bugs you, be aware of Avast's history of selling users' data. And security lapses, which include distributing malware in CCleaner installers. When an anti-virus company ships malware... Your choice, but they're in my Untrustworthy Vendors file.
Yes. :-s :'-/
I need alternative. (But not Win Defender.)
Increased spam over years but mostly controllable. Trivial.
non-trivial :
They have my credit card details, insist on fckng auto billing to renew. Stresses me each time. Have to go through silly process to stop auto billing. No way to actually remove that data.
It has offices in some countries that are noted for illegal financial activity, organised crime, etc.
I basically assume it is spyware. Sort of ironical.
huh..marketing spam now includes VPN product. That'll be the fckng day.

Katji

Major Contributor
When I went from Win to MacOS I was shocked at how much the generic inbuilt file viewer can do with pdf files, compared to the total lack of such inbuilt ability with Win and the constant fussing to find an adequate pdf app for basic manoeuvres.
Yes,yes. Basic manoeuvres all i need.

Bank uses Striata for email statements. Recently some obscure section insisted on installing an older version of it, so now i have 2. :-s It did that because it did not know about >Win7. !

When I went from Win to MacOS ...
hmm Well at least with MacOS, I could continue with Mp3tag, [Not with Linux.]

Top Bottom