• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adam T5V Review (Studio Monitor)

RHO

Major Contributor
Thinking about the T5V + T10S for the home office and T7V + T10S for the living room.

Lilith

Is there any review of Adam A3x, a stereophile mag recommended speaker?
That' s from a German recording studio

He was completely impressed by the T5V and also reviewed the A3x

Raitsa

Pretty little thingy just arrived (Adam T10S)
xIVxf3S.png

ENuPmHW.png

panther

Trying to decide on these or some Acoustic Energy AE1 speakers for maybe on my desk or more likely sitting on stands a few feet further out from my desk. Looking for a DAC/HP amp with xlr and RCA for. My Martin Logan 800x sub. I know the Jotunheim 2 DAC didn’t get great reviews but I’m looking for a similar all in one setup, maybe the new ess 9028 chip would be better. I also have some HD 660s I use occasionally. Just wondering what others use.

Backflash

Probably too late for a discussion but will ask anyway. Trying to decide between T5V and Rokit 5 G4 for multimedia desktop use, games included, I can listen to music in $3 buds and be fine-ish, but when it comes to rain sound unnaturally overwhelming everything around me in a game or a movie I can't take it, I also really enjoy voices in everything from music to podcasts.
Both look great on paper, I can live with high shelf EQ. But I'm traumatized by Beyer DT1990pro headphones after briefly trying to "upgrade" hd600s. Real scared of treble now.
Here is my budget problem, KRK is €70 more here which strains my budget quite a bit, would I be really disappointed by the treble in Adams if hd600 sound is my ideal? would HF shelfing make voices sound natural?
I experimented with +8Db 5khz+shelf on hd600, sure it's a meh method, but it gave me some idea, wasn't exactly terrible no where near beyer nightmare.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Probably too late for a discussion but will ask anyway. Trying to decide between T5V and Rokit 5 G4 for multimedia desktop use, games included, I can listen to music in $3 buds and be fine-ish, but when it comes to rain sound unnaturally overwhelming everything around me in a game or a movie I can't take it, I also really enjoy voices in everything from music to podcasts.
Both look great on paper, I can live with high shelf EQ. But I'm traumatized by Beyer DT1990pro headphones after briefly trying to "upgrade" hd600s. Real scared of treble now.
Here is my budget problem, KRK is €70 more here which strains my budget quite a bit, would I be really disappointed by the treble in Adams if hd600 sound is my ideal? would HF shelfing make voices sound natural?
I experimented with +8Db 5khz+shelf on hd600, sure it's a meh method, but it gave me some idea, wasn't exactly terrible no where near beyer nightmare.

don't you use room eq? because FR doesn't matter much if you do. look at distorsion instead, and there the T5V kicks Rokit's ass.
I am thiking of getting them to couple them with my sub which I am crossing above 130Hz anyways. I just never heard a little speaker like this and am afraid they can't deliver in my midfield setup.

Backflash

don't you use room eq?
A decent-ish mic would be expensive for me right now. I am strongly considering it after reading more of local discussions though. Solved my price issue by discovering superior German audio stores, highly recommend you to use them for European products if your import tax isn't high like mine.

Backflash

are these loud enough in the midrange if coupled with subwoofer?
the 96dB distorsion chart looks better than many 8" out there
I suddenly have the opposite question, how do they play on quiet mode? Since I will keep them at around 50-65cm away and use them during night at times, do they get worse at quieter levels?

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I suddenly have the opposite question, how do they play on quiet mode? Since I will keep them at around 50-65cm away and use them during night at times, do they get worse at quieter levels?

in that case it's a no-brainer, since at quieter levels in the near field and without EQ the KRK is obviously the better choice.
but check the price of JBL 305 also. since it is comparable to the rokit G4

Backflash

in that case it's a no-brainer, since at quieter levels in the near field and without EQ the KRK is obviously the better choice.
but check the price of JBL 305 also. since it is comparable to the rokit G4
I had JBLs for a a week, it's either I didn't like them or they did not like my room, there was clearly some kind of deeep valley or a peak in upper bass, I don't remember exactly it was a year back, in fq response around voice range, voices I know well didn't sound right at all. That little dip near similar fq in KRK is worrying me more than adam shelf which is easily fixable in EQ APO system wide.
My ideal sound is HD600s but I can't afford genelecs. 305ps are a ~100 eur, KRK5 G4 and Adams T5V are 125, it's really close thus my struggle.
I'm not against EQ at all, I just may not be able to do it well this year. Audio is so complicated when you do not have a store that rents things nearby.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I had JBLs for a a week, it's either I didn't like them or they did not like my room, there was clearly some kind of deeep valley or a peak in upper bass, I don't remember exactly it was a year back, in fq response around voice range, voices I know well didn't sound right at all. That little dip near similar fq in KRK is worrying me more than adam shelf which is easily fixable in EQ APO system wide.
My ideal sound is HD600s but I can't afford genelecs. 305ps are a ~100 eur, KRK5 G4 and Adams T5V are 125, it's really close thus my struggle.
I'm not against EQ at all, I just may not be able to do it well this year. Audio is so complicated when you do not have a store that rents things nearby.

the HD600 seam to have a boosted upper bass in order to compensate for the lack of output below 100Hz: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/sennheiser-hd600-review-headphone.23233/
so that could be what you were missing with the JBLs

Backflash

the HD600 seam to have a boosted upper bass in order to compensate for the lack of output below 100Hz: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/sennheiser-hd600-review-headphone.23233/
so that could be what you were missing with the JBLs
305p felt muffled and with more bass and less treble than 600s. I should've done it properly and measured the room, but I found out about procedures only recently. Another question, am I right to assume a speaker with the least distortion is better suited for EQing?

Backflash

found this interesting thing if anyone is concerned with hiss like me, it is a little contradicting anechoic measurements from hiss list here but I think gain changes to hiss relation is very useful
also note rokit g4 was the rokit 10 g4 which is like a different line of product compared to rokit 5

Masza

These must be one of the worst speakers regarding RFI/EMI issues I've ever owned. I have four of these and they keep popping and snapping every time the fridge compressor starts or fluorescent lamps are turned on or off. None of my other home theather equipment currently (Genelec, SVS, Oppo, Marantz) or previously has had issues with RFI or EMI.

Anti-Climacus

These must be one of the worst speakers regarding RFI/EMI issues I've ever owned. I have four of these and they keep popping and snapping every time the fridge compressor starts or fluorescent lamps are turned on or off. None of my other home theather equipment currently (Genelec, SVS, Oppo, Marantz) or previously has had issues with RFI or EMI.

I had the same problem with T5V when I connected them directly to my pc motherboard's output (RCA --->3.5 mm jack): unbearable, constant ground loop noise which was even made worse simply by moving the mouse. It was louder than the music signal itself at times! I eventually went out and bought a Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen for around 100 euros and was able to go balanced from the TRS outputs of the Focusrite. Absolute silence since then, save only for a slight hiss from the tweeters which I can't hear from 1 meter away anyway (and which of course is not a matter of connections but of the inside amp and the crossover of the Adam).

I would say that going balanced is mandatory when the source is a pc/laptop via usb and hopefully there are plenty of cost-effective solutions nowadays.

Top Bottom