• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adam T5V Review (Studio Monitor)

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Here are my Adam T5's. Not the best setup acoustically. I set the LF to 0 dB for the left speaker near the wall and at +2 dB for the right speaker with no wall behind it. No frequency response measurement done yet.

Attachments

• AdamTV5.jpg
    AdamTV5.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 1,085

Ajax

Forum Donor
I noticed your speakers are sitting directly on the table. I found a marked improvement by placing them on wedge shaped foam pads. This gave two advantages - isolation of the table from vibration while pointing the tweeter directly at your ears. You can find them on line for about US$30

desktop speaker stands

phoenixsong

I noticed your speakers are sitting directly on the table. I found a marked improvement by placing them on wedge shaped foam pads. This gave two advantages - isolation of the table from vibration while pointing the tweeter directly at your ears. You can find them on line for about US$30

desktop speaker stands
Any idea how the surface reflections off the tabletop would look like?

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Any idea how the surface reflections off the tabletop would look like?
Genelec usually calibrate their desktop control to cut 160 Hz by -4 dB.

"This feature is designed to compensate for the boost often occurring at this frequency range when the loudspeaker is placed upon a meter bridge, table or a similar reflective horizontal surface."

genelecspeaker-ZS5iS54ole3hGCkVRmFkvJBMeBx55EP0.jpg

Hard surfaces can also result in comb filtering further up:

acoustics-insider-article-flat-frequency-response-07-ruede-hagelstein-frequency-response-labeled.png

It all comes down to your particular room and its modes, surfaces, etc.

Last edited:

Filio45

anyone know how many watts they consume when on but idle? Reason I ask is that I will probably have them on for most of the day, seven days a week, including long periods not playing music. Cannot see any mention of standby or auto off in manual. Just to get an idea before purchase...-)

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
With Class D amps of moderate power and a SMPS, I wouldn't expect more than 3-5 W each. Genelec 8330As are spec'd at <= 3 W, for example.

I still wouldn't recommend running them 24/7 for no good reason. Consider a remote-switched outlet (takes about 1 W by itself) or a switchable power strip. 6 W non-stop is about 52.6 kWh per year, at European electricity prices said power strip would pay for itself within that time (I can get a "premium" 4x power strip for <10€, so that's more like half a year). (If you are running A/C, a rule of thumb says that it takes the same amount of power on top.)

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Genelec usually calibrate their desktop control to cut 160 Hz by -4 dB.

"This feature is designed to compensate for the boost often occurring at this frequency range when the loudspeaker is placed upon a meter bridge, table or a similar reflective horizontal surface."

genelecspeaker-ZS5iS54ole3hGCkVRmFkvJBMeBx55EP0.jpg

Hard surfaces can also result in comb filtering further up:

acoustics-insider-article-flat-frequency-response-07-ruede-hagelstein-frequency-response-labeled.png

It all comes down to your particular room and its modes, surfaces, etc.
Here is a nice paper they wrote about it in 2004, how time flies...

Compensating the Acoustical Loading of Small Loudspeakers Mounted Near Desktops

Andrew Goldberg, Aki Mäkivirta and Ari Varla Genelec Oy, Olvitie 5, 74100 Iisalmi, Finland

ABSTRACT
In professional audio applications, small loudspeakers are often mounted on or near (within the loudspeaker’s near field region) large solid surfaces, such as mixing consoles, desktops and work surfaces. In approximately two-thirds of loudspeakers mounted in such a fashion, the magnitude response is compromised in a predictable and systematic way. An upward deviation of peak value 5.0 dB ± 1.5 dB centred on 141 Hz ± 31 Hz was observable in approximately 80% of the cases studied. An additional Room Response Control in active loudspeakers is proposed to compensate for this aberration. A statistical analysis of 89 near-field loudspeakers helps define the correction filter, and quantifies the effectiveness of the fixed filter design. Use of the proposed filter in an automated response optimisation algorithm for in-situ response equalisation is demonstrated.

Full paper https://assets.ctfassets.net/4zjnzn...e0b9dc10804/2004_goldberg_makivirta_varla.pdf

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Here is a nice paper they wrote about it in 2004, how time flies...

Compensating the Acoustical Loading of Small Loudspeakers Mounted Near Desktops

Andrew Goldberg, Aki Mäkivirta and Ari Varla Genelec Oy, Olvitie 5, 74100 Iisalmi, Finland

ABSTRACT
In professional audio applications, small loudspeakers are often mounted on or near (within the loudspeaker’s near field region) large solid surfaces, such as mixing consoles, desktops and work surfaces. In approximately two-thirds of loudspeakers mounted in such a fashion, the magnitude response is compromised in a predictable and systematic way. An upward deviation of peak value 5.0 dB ± 1.5 dB centred on 141 Hz ± 31 Hz was observable in approximately 80% of the cases studied. An additional Room Response Control in active loudspeakers is proposed to compensate for this aberration. A statistical analysis of 89 near-field loudspeakers helps define the correction filter, and quantifies the effectiveness of the fixed filter design. Use of the proposed filter in an automated response optimisation algorithm for in-situ response equalisation is demonstrated.

Full paper https://assets.ctfassets.net/4zjnzn...e0b9dc10804/2004_goldberg_makivirta_varla.pdf
They target 146-147 Hz for the notch filter design in that paper. Wonder if that's actually what the notch filter on the speaker does rather than sticking to 160 Hz, which it sounds like they chose to list because it's a familiar third-octave frequency on a 31-band GEQ:

"In the case of the fixed filter design, it is interesting to note that a graphic equaliser cannot be used to simulate this notch filter, ... as the optimum notch filter centre frequency lies between two standard centre frequencies 125 Hz and 160 Hz."

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They target 146-147 Hz for the notch filter design in that paper. Wonder if that's actually what the notch filter on the speaker does rather than sticking to 160 Hz, which it sounds like they chose to list because it's a familiar third-octave frequency on a 31-band GEQ:

"In the case of the fixed filter design, it is interesting to note that a graphic equaliser cannot be used to simulate this notch filter, ... as the optimum notch filter centre frequency lies between two standard centre frequencies 125 Hz and 160 Hz."
Also interesting that in their current SAM products they write and show rather about 160 Hz

Desktop reflection compensation
The desktop control reduces frequencies near 160 Hz by 4 dB. This compensates the boost when the monitor is placed on a meter bridge or table.

1624512766697.png

Source:https://assets.ctfassets.net/4zjnzn...e3a40ce92d0c8d57/8361A_operating_manual_a.pdf

YSC

Major Contributor
Also interesting that in their current SAM products they write and show rather about 160 Hz

Desktop reflection compensation
The desktop control reduces frequencies near 160 Hz by 4 dB. This compensates the boost when the monitor is placed on a meter bridge or table.

View attachment 137176

Source:https://assets.ctfassets.net/4zjnzn...e3a40ce92d0c8d57/8361A_operating_manual_a.pdf
seems they've changed a bit but anyway, since every desktop is different I believe the difference each of these profiles will be in real life will be of minimal difference

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
seems they've changed a bit but anyway, since every desktop is different I believe the difference each of these profiles will be in real life will be of minimal difference
Also due to the different baffle, woofer position and placement relative to the desktop it would be always a bit different, for example my left desktop loudspeaker has its peak at 133 Hz and my right one at 145 Hz (both placed 20 cm higher stands directly behind the desk), so best it is to measure it as such a fixed filters are only a compromise for a users doing no measurements.

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor

desktop speaker stands
Picked these up from Amazon $11/pair

Attachments

• AA_T5V_FoamStands.png
    AA_T5V_FoamStands.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 343

RHO

Major Contributor
Anyone know if the T7V have comparable performance to the T5V in a small (9m²) room? Listening is near field. Speakers placed on a desk with small wedge to point the tweeter at my ears when sitting at the desk. More horizontal when sitting about 2m away in comfy chair.

My main concern with the T7V is that they will start to get boomy in this situation.
I could add a subwoofer to the T5V, but that would be more expensive.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
You can always get rid of bass irregularities via measurement and parametric EQ if need be... woofer / tweeter integration at the desk position is an issue I'd be more worried about. What sort of listening distance would you be looking at? If I have eyeballed the woofer/tweeter distances correctly, I'd still rather be using Yamaha HS7s or T7Vs than Kali LP-6s or JBL 306Ps here, but obviously things are a bit more critical than with the T5Vs. Considering your second listening position, this may be a worthwhile tradeoff to make though, and in any case the T7Vs seem closer to the T5Vs than the T8Vs in the regard (which are large enough to be problematic on a desk).

Reactions: RHO

RHO

Major Contributor
You can always get rid of bass irregularities via measurement and parametric EQ if need be... woofer / tweeter integration at the desk position is an issue I'd be more worried about. What sort of listening distance would you be looking at? If I have eyeballed the woofer/tweeter distances correctly, I'd still rather be using Yamaha HS7s or T7Vs than Kali LP-6s or JBL 306Ps here, but obviously things are a bit more critical than with the T5Vs. Considering your second listening position, this may be a worthwhile tradeoff to make though, and in any case the T7Vs seem closer to the T5Vs than the T8Vs in the regard (which are large enough to be problematic on a desk).
Not sure what the listening distance would be at the desk. I still need to build the desk. But I guess the speakers will be not more than 1m away from my head.
From what I understand from Amirs review of the Yamaha HS7, it is not really suited to use on a desk.

donnbialik

Too many 'live' surfaces inside that box. That aluminum plate, the port tube itself, the circuit boards for the amp. All of that—if it's not covered with some sort of damping material—is contributing to the ragged midrange response. The little bit that is in there is probably not doing much to damp out reflections and resonances. Most unfortunate.
Has anyone opened these up and tried applying dampening materials?

donnbialik

According to Amir's review the T5V are only down -3db at 60Hz. In his subjective listening he reported they played very loud with plenty of distortion free base. Adam claim they go as low 45Hz.

Using my A7s as desktop speakers I never felt the need for a sub. Obviously they have a 7" woofer vs 5", however, the technology is over 12 years old (and they are still going strong).

The value for money for the TV5, US$400 for a pair, is incredible IMO. Linked to your desktop computer via a decent DAC, such as a Topping D50s or SMSL SU8A (balanced), and with Tidal say as your source you can have a very good system for around US$700-$800.

I hope you get as much pleasure from your Adams as I have got from mine. All the best.
I have the T5Vs and have played test tones down to 5Hz. They sound phenomenal down to 50Hz, and then begin to loose it at 45Hz to 25Hz. Of course my space plays a factor in this, but I can assure you these speakers can reproduce a shocking amount of bass. For $400.....I mean, it's a no brainer.

donnbialik

Only had them for a couple of days, but they’re doing exactly what I expected, which is I am no longer using the crappy Rockwell $100 subwoofer I needed with my Monoprice 5” desktop speakers. These 5” Adam woofers can’t play as low as the sub, but the sub was a distortion monster so I didn’t like much of what it could produce. The Adams definitely get down to 80hZ, which is all I really need for my work desktop.
I felt they sounded pretty great even down to 50Hz.

Top Bottom