• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adam T5V Review (Studio Monitor)

B-Flow

I'm wondering where the T7V sits between the 5 and the 8. At first I would have assumed it more or less split the difference in terms of output and low end roll off, but if we take Adam's specs/graphs at face value the 7 seems much closer to the 5 than the 8: looks like it reaches but a couple of Hz lower than the 5, and with no where near the flatness of the 8. Thoughts?

If the difference between the 5 and 7 is more about peak output, then I'm thinking the C$120 difference (per pair) might be better put twords a T10 sub (if one is so inclined to go that route).

Slyman

This might be a stupid question but how come all these great reviews and references even though the speaker got a 4,2/10 score?

Rizzle

This might be a stupid question but how come all these great reviews and references even though the speaker got a 4,2/10 score?
  1. Studio monitors like the T5V are made for nearfield listening, the preference rating is for far field listening
  2. Small monitors lack bass performance
  3. Often scores are given in relationship to price, the preference rating is not, the Genelec 8351B gets a preference rating of 7/10 (which is the highest measured by Amir) and costs $4000 each
And there is probably more.

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I’ll add to Rizzle’s post, in that I love that speakers get low scores overall. There’s a lot of room for improvement and if a speaker got a 9/10 today, it would have to relative to all other speakers available, not relative to audio perfection. Which would mean a speaker getting the same score 10 years from now wouldn’t be comparable to today’s scoring system. I never liked Consumer Reports scoring for cars. In 2013 the Tesla Model S received a 99/100 score. Does that mean cars have reached near perfection? What does a 99/100 mean today, or a decade from now? Just a pet peeve of mine, but I like to start with 1,000 and take away lots of points. Only goes 300 miles between charges, minus 10 points. Can’t drive fully autonomously, minus 25 points, tires wear within 200,000 miles, minus 15 points, etc.

Rod

I just added the Adam T10S sub to the TV5's. Glad I did, should of done it sooner.

Last edited:

Rod

The room I am in is small enough that I can hear the reflections and some of the room modes, so I need to treat the room

I'm wondering how the T5V will differ in this small space after treatment, if it's able to play louder with more low frequency energy that will still be a plus, as I imagine the 305p will lose some low end after the space is treated to remove some of the room nastiness in the mid-range
My room is 9x9. Made a big difference after treatment. Bare room sounded bad.

Raitsa

T5V and T7V.

042180D4-5D15-4366-9787-034D9059FEE1.jpeg

RHO

Major Contributor

Raitsa

I am listening from 3 metres away. I know I am listening to a bigger speaker and the sound feels beefier than with the fives.
But not sure if I could differentiate between the fives and sevens in a blind listening test.
Loving the sound of Adams and very happy with my choice.

RHO

Major Contributor
I am listening from 3 metres away. I know I am listening to a bigger speaker and the sound feels beefier than with the fives.
But not sure if I could differentiate between the fives and sevens in a blind listening test.
Loving the sound of Adams and very happy with my choice.
Thanks.
Was thinking about getting the T7V for next to the TV. I'm also about 3m away in that case.

Rod

Thanks.
Was thinking about getting the T7V for next to the TV. I'm also about 3m away in that case.
If you add the sub it might not make a difference. I don't have both speakers to compare but it sure did help the 5's. I always heard a kinda boxy sound to them with certain songs in the upper lows or lower mids but was able to help that with eq. The adam sub for the t series made that not an issue any more.

Reactions: RHO

Raitsa

Yeah its a very hard decision whether to go for fives or sevens, they are so close in specs and also in price.
I will be adding a sub for the hometheater/listening room, not sure which brand/model yet.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah its a very hard decision whether to go for fives or sevens, they are so close in specs and also in price.
I will be adding a sub for the hometheater/listening room, not sure which brand/model yet.
Do they hiss?

Raitsa

I can hear a very slight hiss if I put my ear right next to the bass, if I move my head 15cm away I cant hear anything anymore.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can hear a very slight hiss if I put my ear right next to the bass, if I move my head 15cm away I cant hear anything anymore.
Good news, and suprising. Those T5V were supposed to hiss a lot.

Rod

Seaton
Good news, and suprising. Those T5V were supposed to hiss a lot.
Same here. If I put my ears right up against the speaker I can here it but from my listening position which is 4 feet away I don't hear anything.

Top Bottom