• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adam T5V Review (Studio Monitor)

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
These last few speaker reviews go to show that you can get great sounds these days from contemporary bottom of the barrel parts if you do good work integrating them. In other words inexpensive drivers and amps these days are still very decent products.

Like the Kali and JBL budget monitors, this is a very cheap woofer, tweeter and amp all working very well together. Very cool.
Not digging that shelved up treble, I do bet that drives sales - still understandable given the market.

Way to go Adam. Way to go Amir, thanks for sharing all this data!

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Too many 'live' surfaces inside that box. That aluminum plate, the port tube itself, the circuit boards for the amp. All of that—if it's not covered with some sort of damping material—is contributing to the ragged midrange response. The little bit that is in there is probably not doing much to damp out reflections and resonances. Most unfortunate.
Maybe.
To really find out you would measure the driver on an open baffle and then compare. You also have to factor in edge diffraction and comb filtering. There is always a lot of diffraction in a small speaker and at least some comb filtering occurs in nearly every speaker where the tweeter and woofer overlap unless you are using very steep acoustical slopes. (LR8 and higher)
Often less stuffing means more dynamic and deff more sensitive. Additionally many ported models also don't use much due how it can really affect the tuning. (of course others use a lot) Really the amount you need to actually absorb the lower midrange is quite a lot so maybe not a good choice here.
Every design has to compromise due to give and take always being a factor.
By the way I would say the circuit board actually does help break up the back wave a bit and so does the tube.

Ajax

Forum Donor
FWIW I have owned a pair of ADAM A7 active speakers for 10 years. I used them originally as desktop speakers fed from a BENCHMARK DAC 1 HDR in my home office. My son now has them in his home recording studio fed from a BENCHMARK DAC 2 and an Apogee Duet.

Never missed a beat in all that time - great sound and excellent reliability.

I haven't heard the TV5V but based on my own experience with Adam speakers, and my trust in Amir's reviews, you could comfortably match them with a Topping D50s or E30s (say) or a second hand Benchmark (if you want support US industry). Connect via USB to your home computer or Raspberry Pi and you would have a complete "transparent" desk top / small room system that would provide immense joy to any music lover for between US$600-$1,000.

This puts into perspective the nonsense that you have to spend huge amounts of money (as promoted by some hifi magazines and forum sites) to achieve hi-fidelity.

More on this topic from Archimago's latest blog:

Over the years, I think we've covered a lot of material here and while there's more to say and do, as a "more objective" audiophile, there's also a limit to how much I actually care once some answers have been found to satisfy my curiosity. This is perhaps one area of difference between an "objectivist" from the pure "subjectivist". Unlike magazines that seem to tout "best sounding amplifier ever" in perpetuity, the objective audiophile I think recognizes that at some point, this is simply not possible and in fact rather silly; there is such a thing as "more than good enough"... I know, the "high end" audiophile industry will be unhappy with this assessment! After all, how can one imagine that they might not be able to keep using the "best sound" argument as a selling point for the next generation of products?!

Around 2013, with the advent of the transition to asynchronous USB DACs, we have been able to follow the improvements in jitter performance. With the advent of inexpensive SBCs like the Odroid and Raspberry Pi, we have followed the evolution of high quality streaming and recognized that the digital source really doesn't affect sound quality significantly with good DACs. We have followed the hype of Pono and discussed the questionable need for "hi-res audio". We have looked at the (IMO) scams of audiophilia like MQA, talked about the decades of snake oil, examined Synergistic stuff, and silly software like JPlay. Along the way, we've explored the more pedestrian topics like whether lossless formats sound the same, evaluated cables (both analogue and digital variants, argued with silliness), the minimal differences USB hubs made, discussed ethernet switches, explained about "bits are bits", and countless musings related to the audiophile press and their typical irrationality plus expressed the philosophy of achieving high fidelity and how we can approach it as hardware enthusiasts. We've looked at the microscopic impulse responses, understood what digital errors sound like and I think stopped worrying about jitter. We've discussed DSP room correction, evaluated server-side software (like Roon and computer-related stuff), and even done a few other blind tests along the way! Hey, we've even "infiltrated" audio shows hereand there with commentary as a "more objectivist", visited dealerships locally, in North America, and abroad.

After 8 years of running this blog, personally, I'm glad to have collected a heck of a lot more knowledge and experience, and worried a lot less about the minutiae that actually make no difference by exploring the principles rather than holding on to beliefs and following suggestions because someone (Golden Ear? Audiophile High Priest?) said so. I hope you've benefitted from these thoughts and measurement results as well. For the most neurotic among us (myself included), I hope you're much less anxious about the "high-fidelity" hobby and finding yourself well along the way to being liberated from many of the unsubstantiated beliefs so readily promoted as "truths" over the decades.

Last edited:

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Im a little lost on the bass distortion comments. Have I missed something? Just seems high to me. As expected from a small equalised speaker.

Not complaining for the price of course, its performance needs to be put into context, but no way is it low distortion.

I think there are a few schools of thought on this. One is, no one hears distortion less than 10% below 100Hz, some extend that to the edge of Schroeder ~300Hz. In the 86dB chart, it would seem all is in order then. Except for that odd bump around 3.5k.

However, I, like you, would prefer lower distortion across the range, even at 86dB, and that rising HF response also scares me every time.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Im a little lost on the bass distortion comments. Have I missed something? Just seems high to me. As expected from a small equalised speaker.

Not complaining for the price of course, its performance needs to be put into context, but no way is it low distortion.
I agree that for the price distortion is perfectly fine and better than many others.
It does seem Amir likes warm bass. That distortion likely sounds warm and ought to plump up the lower midrage as well.
Plus it likely gives the impression of more bass as well.
I don't know. I think I usually prefer a very exacting and cooler bass to warm but honestly sometimes I do like a warmer sound as well myself.
Who knows?
To get really low distortion down there does seem to require a much more expensive driver. Have not yet seen any really low distortion budget speakers ($500 or less per pair)

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
So I pulled in the Kali LP6. I was quite surprised that the Adam T5V with its smaller woofer was able to once again produce more bass.
I think the backside bass-port might help a bit here too.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When you first were considering adding speaker measurement and reviews, my comment in that thread was you should in the hope you would find the speaker equivalent of the Khadas Tone Board. Looks like you've more than fulfilled it.

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
that treble octave 5-10KHz is very important.

It’s the high frequency “brightness”
“Sibilance” And harmonics regions for many instruments.
Clearly the -2dB treble setting doesn’t help that octave.

This region is more important than the top octave 10-20Khz, where’s there not much energy or musical content.

I wonder how the product recommendation would be been, if it had been listened to In stock form, rather than custom equalised.

Last edited:

CumSum

Wondering if this might serve as a decent upgrade from the 305p MK II
Having just gotten a pair of Adam T5V's, they stomp all over my pair of JBL 306P's in stock form. The T5V's also have much higher potential if you couple it with room correction such as DIRAC.

SineWave

I agree that for the price distortion is perfectly fine and better than many others.
It does seem Amir likes warm bass. That distortion likely sounds warm and ought to plump up the lower midrage as well.
Plus it likely gives the impression of more bass as well.
I don't know. I think I usually prefer a very exacting and cooler bass to warm but honestly sometimes I do like a warmer sound as well myself.
Who knows?
To get really low distortion down there does seem to require a much more expensive driver. Have not yet seen any really low distortion budget speakers ($500 or less per pair)

Serious question, but what does bass that is "warm" sound like? What does anything that sounds "warm" or "hot" or "cold" or "sterile" or "clinical" sound like? Over the years I have heard people use these and many other terms to describe the sound of audio equipment but I am still not sure what they really mean. I know my burrito that just came out of the fridge is cold and if I microwave it, it gets hot. But not sure how or even why these adjectives apply to audio. Is there an audio-dictionary that defines these terms?

SineWave

Wondering if this might serve as a decent upgrade from the 305p MK II

I owned both the T5V and 305Pmk1 for 1 month at the same time trying to figure out which ones to keep. Honestly, I don't think I heard a difference. Probably my ears are not that great anymore. And they start to itch and feel full and squishy when I listen to even moderately loud music (my ear, not the speakers). I got them for my desktop PC, so when I did play them louder it was on the other side of my small room - about 16 ft away. (I can definitely hear huge difference between other speakers around that price range.) I tried really hard to listen to various types of music but when I thought I heard a difference (of those few times, I though the Adam's seemed to have better highs) I thought it was my imagination. It was actually quite depressing not being able to hear a difference, thinking my 51 year old ear are just...getting old...oh, just incase anyone is wondering, I returned the JBLs.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wonder if not the one flaw Adam always do is shelving that AMT a bit to high .

I have a pair of older Adams as kitchen speaker at the moment and also used them nearfield as computer speakers .
Best results was nearfield with treble level backed down slightly.

Their signature is the AMT but they may overdo it a bit .

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Serious question, but what does bass that is "warm" sound like? What does anything that sounds "warm" or "hot" or "cold" or "sterile" or "clinical" sound like? Over the years I have heard people use these and many other terms to describe the sound of audio equipment but I am still not sure what they really mean. I know my burrito that just came out of the fridge is cold and if I microwave it, it gets hot. But not sure how or even why these adjectives apply to audio. Is there an audio-dictionary that defines these terms?
A bit less detailed, slightly over emphasized, perhaps slightly more harmonic distortion thus it is more "spread out". Perhaps a little "slow" sounding or slightly "fat" - less controlled when compared to a "tight" speaker.
Best way is to find a speaker that many agree sounds warm in the bass region and one that is more clinical there (or to use Neumans term "dry".) Listen to them both and decide if it matters to you.
As far as descriptive terms go they can be a source of contention.
Like eveything else we say there is the potential for it not to land. One simply does the best they can.
If there is an agreed upon audiophile dictionary of sorts google will find for ya. Do some digging.

Top Bottom