• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Active Room Treatment (ART) by Dirac

markus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The subwoofer needs to be LINEAR so a correction algorithm can be done. So it needs to be loud enough to not compress/make noise with ports etc. - then ART should be able to do a useful correction.
You mean "linear" as in "linear time-invariant"? That's what rooms, electronics and even "wobbling" SVS subs (largely) are.

IamJF

You mean "linear" as in "linear time-invariant"? That's what rooms, electronics and even "wobbling" SVS subs (largely) are.
Yes! They are as long as you don't drive them to hard.
What happens quickly when you aim for loud home cinema! (or very loud - ATMOS reference level) You need very capable woofers when you calculate your levels with very deep tunings when ported.

napfkuchen

Yes! They are as long as you don't drive them to hard.
What happens quickly when you aim for loud home cinema! (or very loud - ATMOS reference level) You need very capable woofers when you calculate your levels with very deep tunings when ported.
(Un)fortunately (?) my neighbors are still far from the necessary reference level (dead and/or deaf), so the comfortable listening volume is usually around 80 to 90 dB SPL. Thanks for all the answers, I'm wobbling now. :cool: (be sure to get the ATMOS edition, it's a good experience)

IamJF

I like the dialoge about 65dBSpl. So it's easy to hear but everything is not too loud.
Someone here did a SPL recording of cinema sound and dialog was at 75dBSpl and loud effects at 105dBSpl - that's exactly ATMOS reference level.
So you can expect 30dB dynamics from speech level -> 95-100dBSpl ist still the level your speakers have to produce at the listener in your room. And woofers should be able to do 10dB more? At 20Hz ...

Vacceo

Major Contributor
(Un)fortunately (?) my neighbors are still far from the necessary reference level (dead and/or deaf), so the comfortable listening volume is usually around 80 to 90 dB SPL. Thanks for all the answers, I'm wobbling now. :cool: (be sure to get the ATMOS edition, it's a good experience)
Listening above that in a sustained way will probably hurt you. THX spl reference volume is 85db with 20 extra db for peaks, so your current pressure seems quite adequate. :)

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I like the dialoge about 65dBSpl. So it's easy to hear but everything is not too loud.
Someone here did a SPL recording of cinema sound and dialog was at 75dBSpl and loud effects at 105dBSpl - that's exactly ATMOS reference level.
So you can expect 30dB dynamics from speech level -> 95-100dBSpl ist still the level your speakers have to produce at the listener in your room. And woofers should be able to do 10dB more? At 20Hz ...
The Dolby LateNight mode may suit you well!

Top Bottom