• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo One

akarma

I can't find any measurements. I'be gratefull for any help in finding ones. Also it would be interesting to hear from owners how much neutral these speakers are?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
OP
A

akarma

Thanks! How i have missed this review don't know :rolleyes:

At the other end of the audio band, the extreme highs sounded clean, but the speaker overall lacked "air." Billy Drummond's Zildjian ride cymbals on Stereophile's Rendezvous CD (STPH013-2), for example, had a little too much of a sssh tonality rather than the correct sss. This would be more of a problem in rooms larger than my 19.5' by 15' one, less so in smaller spaces, as it appears from the measurements to be associated with a lack of top-octave dispersion rather than a depressed on-axis response in the same region.

But the subdued extreme highs did leave the mid-treble a bit more exposed than I would have liked. There was an occasional hardness to high-level treble instruments that had me reaching for the volume control. When Cyrus Chestnut hammers away at the top of the piano keyboard on Earth Stories (Atlantic 82876-2), for example, some treble notes jumped aggressively forward of the piano image.

It was in the midrange that the Aegis One excelled. Yes, I could sometimes hear a hint of nasality, but that alloy-cone drive-unit seemed to be very good at staying out of the way of the music. Other than at the top of the keyboard, Cyrus Chestnut's piano was presented with a natural tonal quality. Voices, too, were reproduced with good pitch distinction, although I did note an occasional lack of clarity, a touch of hootiness, at the bottom of the midrange. I noticed a slight overhang to Sara K.'s distinctive contralto, when she drops down to the bottom of her range on "If I Could Sing Your Blues" (from No Cover, Chesky CHDVD195, 24/96 sound and full-motion video). But when the recording was itself a little fizzed-up in the extreme highs, such as James Taylor's Live at the Beacon Theater DVD (Columbia Music Video CVD 50171), the Aegis One's overall presentation sounded very natural.

FlyingFreak

Unearthing this thread as I am looking for measurement of their big brothers, the Aegis Evo 3.
Seems like the only measurements that have been done are those Aegis One. I am imagining the Evo might be a bit different from the previous Aegis series.

Anyone with good measurement tools/knowledge and a pair of those in their garage or attics ready to play with those during this Holiday w-e?

Top Bottom