• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review Cambridge Audio EVO 150

• Thread starter Deleted member 48437
  • Start date
OP
D

Deleted member 48437

Two dimensions, amplitude and time, that's it. Electromagnetic waves can be polarised, but that's not really relevant.

EMI is a pain in the a$$, but it's well understood. Audio frequencies are practically DC. Once you go a lot higher in frequency, the capacitance and inductance of everything and anything becomes a problem. Everything also starts to be a potential antenna for either transmitting or receiving garbage, and you begin to encounter the trouble of transmission line reflections and the skin effect, but again, the wavelengths of audio frequencies are relatively huge and are spared of being plagued by these things to a degree any competent electrical engineer would remotely break a sweat over, assuming it's even worth including as a factor. It's all a part of his/her toolbox. None of the myriad of electronics around us operating with GHz signals would be able to do so if it wasn't.

It has nothing to do with a magical fourth dimension.

I guarantee you that the people who build quantum computers would simply look at you with complete bewilderment if you told them about this 'z' axis in audio signals.

If I got a dollar for every time I saw someone take quantum physics as hostage in a attempt at justifying wishful thinking, I'd be a billionaire.

Do a blind comparison. Maybe you'll realise that the "dirty" class-D amp isn't so bad when your brain can't flavour the experience with prejudice ;)

Or maybe just embrace your bias and go for one the usual "audiophile approved" relics :p
You are probably right. Alas, I only have 6 science degrees, one is electrical engineering. I bow to your knowledge kind sir.

OP
D

Deleted member 48437

This...
This is quite symptomatic of improper comparaison and classic confusion between Power and Gain.

These, however... do not matter. At all.

I had the 851A for a little while, it was everything but a great amp. Like yours, mine also proved to be unreliable, BTW... I was so glad to see it go. I had way better experience with nCore modules I tested over the year, including the NC252MP inside the Evo 150. I suggest your tried your "review" level-match next time, you could be surprised by the results.
What does matter, sir? It is better soundstage I found different. I loved the soundstage of the 851a. Ya, just reliability

OP
D

Deleted member 48437

You are probably right. Alas, I only have 6 science degrees, one is electrical engineering. I bow to your knowledge kind sir.
This is actually quite fun for me.
https://medium.com/analytics-vidhya/quantum-gates-7fe83817b684#:~:text=Pauli%20Z%20gate%20is%20a,and%20%7C%2D⟩%20to%20%7C%2B⟩.

OP
D

Deleted member 48437

EMI is currently on limited to Measurement instrumentation for audio in X, Y and time.
Yes, I am only at the bachelors level. Actually, I have never been laughed at by my PhD professors and PhD friends. That wd be inappropriate and disrespectful. Those people are the ones who flip you off from inside their cars whilst their doors are locked lol

OP
D

Deleted member 48437

This...
This is quite symptomatic of improper comparaison and classic confusion between Power and Gain.

These, however... do not matter. At all.

I had the 851A for a little while, it was everything but a great amp. Like yours, mine also proved to be unreliable, BTW... I was so glad to see it go. I had way better experience with nCore modules I tested over the year, including the NC252MP inside the Evo 150. I suggest your tried your "review" level-match next time, you could be surprised by the results.
Quite right and thank you for pointing out. Gain is the control of power. Hope this helps

OP
D

Deleted member 48437

EMI is currently on limited to Measurement instrumentation for audio in X, Y and time.
Yes, I am only at the bachelors level. Actually, I have never been laughed at by my PhD professors and PhD friends. That wd be inappropriate and disrespectful. Those people are the ones who flip you off from inside their cars whilst their doors are locked lol
Wow, you guys are on a roll for a questions /responses. I can hardly keep up. I mislead you when I started something, went to eat then came back.
Ok, EMI (electromagnetic interference) is a measure-able in 3 dimensional space-time, X, Y Z and time. Einstein taught us that. Interesting but not applicable, as a particle approaches the speed of light, as electrons travel, time is altered. The faster the speed the slower time goes.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Cambridge Audio Evo nearly tempted me for a simplified solution, but I'm weary of Cambridge Audio as heard a few stories over the years, one being they are connected with What Hi-Fi for one, not sure if true, but that's a deal breaker and sets alarm bells ringing for me. The Evo is certainly nice to look at, I'll give it that. Although I'd rather something look hideous and sound great.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have only 10 degrees, alas only 4 in science type things . I bow to your 6 in science. I am humble. My first degree was English, I speak very well good now. I am very humble by your many smarts and degrees in the PhD. My theta waves are much calm with AB amp in 3 dimensions.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Interesting but not applicable, as a particle approaches the speed of light, as electrons travel, time is altered. The faster the speed the slower time goes.

The electrons themselves in a wire travel very slowly. Slower than a person walking. It's the electric field that propagate at the speed of light.

I think OP is just trolling at this point.

Most likely, yes :D

OP
D

Deleted member 48437

Lastly, for tonight. This is the misunderstanding. Sound is not in the electromagnetic spectrum. The electrical signals that travel in the electromagnetic spectrum that can result in hearing are only between 20 and 20 thousand hertz. The electromagnetic spectrum does not need a medium to travel through, sound does

We can calculate wave length from the frequency. Twenty hertz is 60 inches and very penetrating (lighthouse fog horn). It penetrates water, concrete and that annoying boom boom kid in the Honda at the intersection. Twenty thousand hertz has a wave length of 0.000017 meters (easier for me to calculate in metric units). It cannot penetrate anything well. Low energy. Cannot penetrate concrete. Keep in mind that this is electomagnetic spectrum. Actual sound is not but they become co-existent when speakers convert one to the other.

Could I please ask which amps you guys recommend for soundstage on a $6k budget? I would appreciate it if based upon what you have heard. I know so very little about that question, almost none. I must have fallen asleep that day in univ lol. Help me out guys? Th u for that one suggestion.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see in x-rays and hear in microwaves !!

1704934988216.png

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
OP
D

Deleted member 48437

Thank you. May I explain just in case I have used the wrong terms? I have my speakers out 6 ft from the wall. With the Cambr 851a I could get the sense that James Taylor was no farther away from me that the length of my room. Chris deBerg (sp?) has a song where a bottle rolls from one speaker to another. It sounded like the bottle was right in front of me. Changing nothing but the two amps, granted the streamers are different inside, the EVO sounds like I am in row 50. There is no feeling like the performer is here. Because I am so far away in sense, it is harder to tell the instruments apart. It is like 3 electrical guitars in a band. U don’t know who is playing each one unless u cd see on a screen. I thought the first is a lack of soundstage and the second is timber. Honestly, this isn’t slight. It is huge. I also wondered maybe if there was a possibility that my Cambridge CXN could decode to a higher resolution than the streamer that comes in the EVO 150? Does that make more sense? I should hook up a CD player and see.

I see in x-rays and hear in microwaves !!

View attachment 341090

OP
D

Deleted member 48437

Hey, the OP lead me to a new thought. What if the problem I am experiencing is resolution? What if the Cambridge CXN was able to decode higher (in reality not spec) than the internal dac on the new EVO 150? Is there a way to measure that?
Tomorrow I will plug in a CD player or my NAS and check that!
My brother says his music sounds like he is in the front row. He used an Arender, USB to high res re-timer then a PS-A dac. A light is coming on that this just cd be the culprit??

Top Bottom