• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Abyss Diana V2 Review (headphone)

snabbeltax

Hey guys, happy new year to you all,

As a customer of Abyss, and owner of a pair of V2's I have some things I would like to mention. Firstly, with all due respect to Amir, he is not a client of theirs, and so from their perspective, they are getting their good work put in question, by someone who has no credentials in their eyes. With regards to their customer service, I can tell you that they are unbelievably customer-centric. The cable that I received had an issue in which it would clip the audio anytime I moved around (bad connector). I emailed them about this issue. Without questioning me, or asking for any kind of proof, they offered to ship me via UPS a brand new cable. They even made it longer and changed the connector to a different one that I had originally ordered. Mind you I live in Mozambique. Sorry, but I really have to defend Abyss on this one. When you buy one of their products, they go above nd beyond to keep you happy.

Secondly, I have to put Amirs measurements in question. I own a variety of Amps as well as the Meze Empyreans, ZMF Verites, and Fostex TH900mk2. And I can tell you without a doubt, that the V2's demolish all my other headphones in every single category. It is simply the most transparent, fast, impactful, super spacious sound I have ever heard. To the point that I cannot even listen to my other headphones anymore, they all sound so congested and condensed now. There is another point I need to mention, which is something I never thought I would find myself saying. Cables matter. I had been using cheap RCA cables up until now. And I never once heard any kind of audio clipping in the Bass region until I got the V2's. At first I thought it was my amp, but I switched it out and would get clipping with all my amps. Low and behold, I upgraded my RCA cables to quality cables and it all dissapeared. The V2's need an absolute perfect setup to shine, and dear god, once you give it all the quality juice they need, they reward you with a sound that will make you forget every other headphone you ever heard.

You guys can thrash Abyss all day, but to be honest, you are only depriving yourself of true audio Nirvana. Instead of talking trash about a company who pours their love into crafting headphones for us the consumer, go and actually listen to their headphones with an open mind.

These are simply put, the best headphones ever, but not when it comes to comfort. XD

Nobody was trashing anything i.m.h.o.

Qna89

And plenty have found the opposite too. Mind you, by all the nonsense I have read here, every headphone reviewer out there is just drinking the cool-aid with Abyss. It must all be some placebo effect. They can't think for themselves when they sing such high praises for these. Ya'll need to check your own negative biases. My main issue here, is you are all discussing measurements and making assumptions regarding the V2s like they are the final say in how a product sounds. I actually own them along with other headphones which are TOTL, and I can tell you they simply are better. You can all beat around the bush all day with measurements, they just sound better. The ZMF Verites are one of the best headphones out there, and they are clearly a step down from the V2s.

I'm also getting tired, but of mostly of people hating on companies. Give people the respect they deserve for all the efforts they put into advancing this field. You know who benefits? Us.... with their every creation, we benefit

Mind you the only reason I had stumbled on this thread was that I was googling the distortion I was hearing with my V2's. And from what I read, all I saw was a bunch of people hating on a great company for no reason. And honestly, I doubt the people who said here that they heard Abyss headphones and found them not special. Its a lie, there is no two ways about it. It's like driving around in a Lambo and then stepping out to say, meh, it's not that special. Stop lying. And in the end, it turned out that the distortion I was hearing, was these fucking incredible headphones, making me hear the limitations of my setup. Quality cable sorted that one out. So I have to now question Amir's setup. You cant be using entry level amps and connectors with a 3k headhpone.

Measurements are not the problem IMO. My main idzie with Abyss is their lack of respect to their Future or present clients. They were lying and thei still do. Thats a Real problem for me. Measurements doesnt rly matter If You like something. You can do whatever You want and buy whatever You want. For example I love Heddphones but their measure rly bad in Amirs review. Still i going to buy them. But Hedd got different aproach to their clients and I am sure they will never do what Abyss did :) Thats a main difference. I think no pro company should ;)

KTN46

Secondly, I have to put Amirs measurements in question. I own a variety of Amps as well as the Meze Empyreans, ZMF Verites, and Fostex TH900mk2. And I can tell you without a doubt, that the V2's demolish all my other headphones in every single category. It is simply the most transparent, fast, impactful, super spacious sound I have ever heard. To the point that I cannot even listen to my other headphones anymore, they all sound so congested and condensed now.

So your point is... We should trust your (not at all biased) opinion and ignore the corroborating measurements. You clearly have an attachment to the company, so much so that you thought to make an account to give your anecdote. That has clearly impacted your judgement and neutrality. We cannot place any weight on your opinions, you unfortunately can't either.

If you want to question Amir's measurements, do so critically. "I heard differently I swear!" is a non-statement. We have had a lot of discussion about measurements this thread alone, where measurements from both Amir and others have been discussed and evaluated. Start by reading up on that and having a constructive opinion. Don't have the expertise to make one? That's okay. Ask questions, try to learn.

And honestly, I doubt the people who said here that they heard Abyss headphones and found them not special. Its a lie, there is no two ways about it. It's like driving around in a Lambo and then stepping out to say, meh, it's not that special. Stop lying

So now anyone who disagrees with you, or has literal evidence to show why you're wrong is lying? What?

And plenty have found the opposite too.

Really? The opposite? Please link some examples here, we would love to explore these specific cases that are so far from the norm. They might reveal something about Abyss QC, or the accuracy of our measurement tools in general. This is quite an exciting assertion!

And in the end, it turned out that the distortion I was hearing, was these fucking incredible headphones, making me hear the limitations of my setup. Quality cable sorted that one out.

Explain (with evidence) how a "quality cable" can measurably impact performance. Are you also implying that the distortion measurements here can be explained away by the DAC, AMP and Cables Amir is using? What about other corroborating measurements? Are their relatively high distortion levels also a result of... Cables?

I'm also getting tired, but of mostly of people hating on companies. Give people the respect they deserve for all the efforts they put into advancing this field. You know who benefits? Us.... with their every creation, we benefit

Companies deserved to be criticised for overpriced, underperforming products. To that end, not hating on companies that peddle R2R DACs as "audio nirvana", or sell overpriced cables and power conditioners, or react uncritically and unscientifically to the community criticising them... Is the same asking them to rip you off.

We benefit by being informed, critical consumers. What you are suggesting is naive.

You cant be using entry level amps and connectors with a 3k headhpone.

If they're measurably transparent, then yeah, yeah you can. You seem to be making some sort of correlation between price and performance. Seeing as you buy into snake oil cables, this correlation, especially in your case, is very, very false.

Last edited:

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Secondly, I have to put Amirs measurements in question. I own a variety of Amps as well as the Meze Empyreans, ZMF Verites, and Fostex TH900mk2. And I can tell you without a doubt, that the V2's demolish all my other headphones in every single category. It is simply the most transparent, fast, impactful, super spacious sound I have ever heard. To the point that I cannot even listen to my other headphones anymore, they all sound so congested and condensed now. There is another point I need to mention, which is something I never thought I would find myself saying. Cables matter. I had been using cheap RCA cables up until now. And I never once heard any kind of audio clipping in the Bass region until I got the V2's. At first I thought it was my amp, but I switched it out and would get clipping with all my amps. Low and behold, I upgraded my RCA cables to quality cables and it all dissapeared. The V2's need an absolute perfect setup to shine, and dear god, once you give it all the quality juice they need, they reward you with a sound that will make you forget every other headphone you ever heard.

You guys can thrash Abyss all day, but to be honest, you are only depriving yourself of true audio Nirvana. Instead of talking trash about a company who pours their love into crafting headphones for us the consumer, go and actually listen to their headphones with an open mind.

These are simply put, the best headphones ever, but not when it comes to comfort. XD

Here comes another shill of snake oil.

Last edited by a moderator:

the_brunx

1611059800931.png

Zensō

Major Contributor
Hey guys, happy new year to you all,

As a customer of Abyss, and owner of a pair of V2's I have some things I would like to mention. Firstly, with all due respect to Amir, he is not a client of theirs, and so from their perspective, they are getting their good work put in question, by someone who has no credentials in their eyes. With regards to their customer service, I can tell you that they are unbelievably customer-centric. The cable that I received had an issue in which it would clip the audio anytime I moved around (bad connector). I emailed them about this issue. Without questioning me, or asking for any kind of proof, they offered to ship me via UPS a brand new cable. They even made it longer and changed the connector to a different one that I had originally ordered. Mind you I live in Mozambique. Sorry, but I really have to defend Abyss on this one. When you buy one of their products, they go above nd beyond to keep you happy.

From Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/l09imb

asouna

No one is putting their business practices in question, all companies make mistakes. But how exactly does that have anything in relation to the quality of their headphones? So the owner is greedy and a crook, but that crook makes unbelievable headphones nonetheless.

Apple and Samsung, also have shady practices, does that mean you will never buy another phone or TV again? Where do you draw the line?

Also do you guys realise that story is 16years old. A lot happens in 16 years.

Last edited:

Zensō

Major Contributor
No one is putting their business practices in question, all companies make mistakes. But how exactly does that have anything in relation to the quality of their headphones? So the owner is greedy and a crook, but that crook makes unbelievable headphones nonetheless.

Apple and Samsung, also have shady practices, does that mean you will never buy another phone or TV again? Where do you draw the line?

Also do you guys realise that story is 16years old. A lot happens in 16 years.

Yeah so much has changed.

https://jpslabs.com/pages/jps-labs-ac-power-cables

asouna

Have you actually even heard the V2's? I mean, I see in this thread that there is no love for Abyss, which is fine, but letting your opinion of a company colour the way you view a product by itself, is not very objective. Which is ironic, considering how much importance you all seem to give to the scientific method.

asouna

Lots and lots of opinions here, but so many of you have not actually heard these headphones, nor the Phi, nor the 1266. So you have absolutely no frame of reference by which to judge the measurements that Amir made.

its like arguing about the merits of chocolate, without ever having tasted chocolate.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Have you actually even heard the V2's? I mean, I see in this thread that there is no love for Abyss, which is fine, but letting your opinion of a company colour the way you view a product by itself, is not very objective. Which is ironic, considering how much importance you all seem to give to the scientific method.
Not that it’s relevant, but I have heard this headphone. I immediately detected a “graininess” that is likely explained by the high levels of distortion shown in both Amir’s and Jude’s testing. I also found the fit, seal, and comfort to be sub par when compared to even headphones in the $200 price range.

I have to ask, what is your motivation for defending Abyss? If you have their headphones and enjoy them, I’d suggest continuing to do so. As for myself, when I’m looking to make a high dollar purchase in audio, the first thing I do is check the background of the company. This industry is rife with snake oil, after all.

KTN46

Lots and lots of opinions here, but so many of you have not actually heard these headphones, nor the Phi, nor the 1266. So you have absolutely no frame of reference by which to judge the measurements that Amir made.

its like arguing about the merits of chocolate, wihtout ever having tasted chocolate.

You don't have to hear a headphone, or an AMP or DAC or cables for that matter, in order to understand what is/isn't good about it. The measurements and their methodology and ensuing discussion speak for themselves. Do you know why we laughed when you mentioned cables made a difference?

It's because they're measurably transparent. I don't have to listen to $3000 cables to have a "frame of reference" of what nothing sounds like. You also can't trust your ears, because they're connected to this thing called "your brain", which as you have demonstrated here - is very prone to cognitive bias. These facts are not up for debate. They demonstrably exist.

Are you seriously suggesting here that we have to hear something to form an opinion on it? Is biased hearsay really the best method you have to discern a product's quality? You don't need to hide behind your subjective anecdote. Stop trying to come up with pointless analogies or 'gotcha' statements. They don't help your case.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
So the owner is greedy and a crook, but that crook makes unbelievable headphones nonetheless.

Ok, I think you've made your point. I'm going to give you a thread ban, as this is getting silly, to see if you have any interest in contributing in any other parts of the forum, or if you just registered to let us all know how dumb we are.

Qna89

its like arguing about the merits of chocolate, without ever having tasted chocolate.

Do You understand that at this point the measurements and how HP sounds is everyone last concern? We are talking about their BS and how they lie to everyone? Just like i said about Hedd audio. Measurements doesnt rly matter If You like something. Go and buy it... its up to You. But this company and they PR team is just pure BS

Dealux

Subjective impressions are still valuable but you have to try and be as objective as possible. There are some poor measuring headphones that audiophiles love which I've also tried and while I don't particularly like them (*cough* Audeze) I can see that they are doing some things well even though ultimately they don't sound anywhere near transparent enough.

Qna89

Yeah but Amir Heard them sooo... and still Here we are :)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So the owner is greedy and a crook, but that crook makes unbelievable headphones nonetheless.
The first part I don't know or want to judge as I believe in the principle of the presumption of innocence, I agree though on the second part, I couldn't believe those measurements at that price.

Top Bottom