• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Abyss Diana V2 Review (headphone)

Hawaiibadboy

I use music in my reviews.
Cuz it is supposed to play music. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Even interpreting graphs is going to reflect the interpreters bias/prefs

Any gear that cost $3,000 and needs a mod is a FAIL.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They now post this:

View attachment 106740

Jude is into measurements big time? If so, how come he had not measured this headphone before and waited to do it now?

As best I can tell, measurement equipment are bought to say they have it, not to use it to get anything accomplished. Back in July of last year Jude announced having the B&K 51128 Hats. There, he promised more than the one two measurements he showed there:

View attachment 106741

It is now 6+ months later and a new year. Yet there is no "Part 2." There are no more measurements. Indeed seems like we were the forcing function for him to dust off the 5128 and use it to measure something!

Jude is in the promotional video for the B&K 5128. It is a very well done video. But as I said to B&K, he is just using measurement gear as decoration and window dressing to keep people from going elsewhere to read about headphones. I have done more measurements with my gear in one month than probably the entire last year on his side.

So no, Jude is not "into measurements." Nor does he have a brand and business model that would benefit such. Look at what my one set of measurements did. Can you imagine if he had measured this headphone first and objectively analyzed how bad it was? What would happen to said sponsorship?

Anyway, good to see that Abyss is now "making inquiries about same [measurement system]." That is worth a lot that the company is now woken up and is looking at objective measurements properly.
And as you've said before, there's no established Target Curve for measurements done on the B&K 5128, so he's in the dark in terms of interpreting exactly what the measurements mean.......even if he does start using it once in a while. It would require significant research to develop a target curve for a new measurement system.

Did you say you've tried having a dialogue with the Abyss manufacturer, it seems that you're both sniping at each other through seperate forums, did they not want to have a direct dialogue with you to sort it out?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
^ Harman is working on that I think.
Well I'd definitely welcome a Harman'ised Target Curve developed for the 5128, as by all accounts it's a more proficient piece of kit that enables more reliable measurements up to 20kHz, but until any kind of valid Target Curve is published then I see it of little use. Here's to Harman updating their measurement system, although it would mean that folks like Amir & Oratory might feel they need to then splash out on a 5128, ha!

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
^ Harman is working on that I think.
Sean told me that when I got the B&K 5128 (last summer) but so far, there is still nothing. They have had a 5128 from inception which was a few years ago. It is fair bit of work for them to develop and verify such a target and I suspect it is not a corporate priority as research into headphones is considered complete. That said, Sean did repeat a couple of months ago that they want to do this so maybe it happens.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Well I'd definitely welcome a Harman'ised Target Curve developed for the 5128, as by all accounts it's a more proficient piece of kit that enables more reliable measurements up to 20kHz
As I have told the company, there is a dichotomy there. There is extreme variation in higher frequencies due to reflections. Having a more accurate fixture doesn't do you any good if the data is variable to begin with. In addition, there needs to be independent research to see if there is indeed higher accuracy with respect to listening impressions.

If one were to use a HATS outside of headphone evaluation, then it may provide more efficacy. But with headphones, I don't think it provides much value on top of GRAS 45CA yet it costs three times as much.

I am hoping I am wrong and better things will be had with 5128 but right now, having tested it extensively, I am not seeing it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Did you say you've tried having a dialogue with the Abyss manufacturer, it seems that you're both sniping at each other through seperate forums, did they not want to have a direct dialogue with you to sort it out?
No, I didn't say that. They have not reached out and neither have I. I don't have anything to ask them anyway. I am happy to chat with them at any time with no negative feelings whatsoever.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As I have told the company, there is a dichotomy there. There is extreme variation in higher frequencies due to reflections. Having a more accurate fixture doesn't do you any good if the data is variable to begin with. In addition, there needs to be independent research to see if there is indeed higher accuracy with respect to listening impressions.

If one were to use a HATS outside of headphone evaluation, then it may provide more efficacy. But with headphones, I don't think it provides much value on top of GRAS 45CA yet it costs three times as much.

I am hoping I am wrong and better things will be had with 5128 but right now, having tested it extensively, I am not seeing it.
Yes, interesting, I see what you mean re 10kHz-20kHz re high headphone position dependency, etc....so yes it is hard to imagine how a new fixture could help if the variation is happening in that region in the same way on people's heads anyway. Anything to improve accuracy can't be a bad thing, hopefully they'll look into it and either find it doesn't help or that it does.
No, I didn't say that. They have not reached out and neither have I. I don't have anything to ask them anyway. I am happy to chat with them at any time with no negative feelings whatsoever.
Hopefully they'll contact you to see if it can be put to bed.....might be difficult though if there is truly "something to hide", but admitting defeat and promising new practices is an option, but that would change a whole company ethos, so unlikely if they're not measurement focussed. A dialog with them would be good though, any kind of resolution.....

EDIT: or if they place no stock in measurements, then they should say so and say that's their approach/market, or maybe only concerned with certain types of measurements....they don't have to follow the same path as here, but they should praps be honest in communicating their approach & stand by it.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hopefully they'll contact you to see if it can be put to bed.....might be difficult though if there is truly "something to hide", but admitting defeat and promising new practices is an option, but that would change a whole company ethos, so unlikely if they're not measurement focussed. A dialog with them would be good though, any kind of resolution.....
From their continued posts, I see no chance of them reaching out at this point. They are doubling down on putting down the review, me, etc. It is really up to their potential customers to keep their feet to the fire to use proper measurements to fix the flaws in their design. My job is done and I am moving to other reviews.....

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From their continued posts, I see no chance of them reaching out at this point. They are doubling down on putting down the review, me, etc. It is really up to their potential customers to keep their feet to the fire to use proper measurements to fix the flaws in their design. My job is done and I am moving to other reviews.....
Yeah, they've made a bit of a mess with their reactions, as well as with regard to the crinkly driver thing...not a very good omen. Yeah, onto new headphones!

xup

As a potential future buyer (and past/current owner) of Abyss headphones, unprofessional responses like that really put me off of a company. I was debating buying Noble IEMs back in the day and similar behaviour from the company made me not do so. Similarly here. There were so many reasonable exit points, but they decided to go to personal attacks, even towards individuals that tried to engage in a meaningful, reasonable and polite conversation. That just doesn't bode well which is a shame :(

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As a potential future buyer (and past/current owner) of Abyss headphones, unprofessional responses like that really put me off of a company. I was debating buying Noble IEMs back in the day and similar behaviour from the company made me not do so. Similarly here. There were so many reasonable exit points, but they decided to go to personal attacks, even towards individuals that tried to engage in a meaningful, reasonable and polite conversation. That just doesn't bode well which is a shame :(

I hate to say it but it’s true in these cases instead of doing the right thing, these enterprises let their greed supersede. It all comes full circle eventually

asouna

Hey guys, happy new year to you all,

As a customer of Abyss, and owner of a pair of V2's I have some things I would like to mention. Firstly, with all due respect to Amir, he is not a client of theirs, and so from their perspective, they are getting their good work put in question, by someone who has no credentials in their eyes. With regards to their customer service, I can tell you that they are unbelievably customer-centric. The cable that I received had an issue in which it would clip the audio anytime I moved around (bad connector). I emailed them about this issue. Without questioning me, or asking for any kind of proof, they offered to ship me via UPS a brand new cable. They even made it longer and changed the connector to a different one that I had originally ordered. Mind you I live in Mozambique. Sorry, but I really have to defend Abyss on this one. When you buy one of their products, they go above nd beyond to keep you happy.

Secondly, I have to put Amirs measurements in question. I own a variety of Amps as well as the Meze Empyreans, ZMF Verites, and Fostex TH900mk2. And I can tell you without a doubt, that the V2's demolish all my other headphones in every single category. It is simply the most transparent, fast, impactful, super spacious sound I have ever heard. To the point that I cannot even listen to my other headphones anymore, they all sound so congested and condensed now. There is another point I need to mention, which is something I never thought I would find myself saying. Cables matter. I had been using cheap RCA cables up until now. And I never once heard any kind of audio clipping in the Bass region until I got the V2's. At first I thought it was my amp, but I switched it out and would get clipping with all my amps. Low and behold, I upgraded my RCA cables to quality cables and it all dissapeared. The V2's need an absolute perfect setup to shine, and dear god, once you give it all the quality juice they need, they reward you with a sound that will make you forget every other headphone you ever heard.

You guys can thrash Abyss all day, but to be honest, you are only depriving yourself of true audio Nirvana. Instead of talking trash about a company who pours their love into crafting headphones for us the consumer, go and actually listen to their headphones with an open mind.

These are simply put, the best headphones ever, but not when it comes to comfort. XD

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Firstly, with all due respect to Amir, he is not a client of theirs, and so from their perspective, they are getting their good work put in question, by someone who has no credentials in their eyes.

But the 3rd party measurements supports Amir's findings.

I'm getting really tired of people (and companies) thinking a retired old man is out there to get them and he hates expensive things :rolleyes:

This narrative has been thrown out so many times, it's just not funny anymore.

asouna

But the 3rd party measurements supports Amir's findings.

I'm getting really tired of people (and companies) thinking a retired old man is out there to get them and he hates expensive things :rolleyes:

This narrative has been thrown out so many times, it's just not funny anymore.

And plenty have found the opposite too. Mind you, by all the nonsense I have read here, every headphone reviewer out there is just drinking the cool-aid with Abyss. It must all be some placebo effect. They can't think for themselves when they sing such high praises for these. Ya'll need to check your own negative biases. My main issue here, is you are all discussing measurements and making assumptions regarding the V2s like they are the final say in how a product sounds. I actually own them along with other headphones which are TOTL, and I can tell you they simply are better. You can all beat around the bush all day with measurements, they just sound better. The ZMF Verites are one of the best headphones out there, and they are clearly a step down from the V2s.

I'm also getting tired, but of mostly of people hating on companies. Give people the respect they deserve for all the efforts they put into advancing this field. You know who benefits? Us.... with their every creation, we benefit

Mind you the only reason I had stumbled on this thread was that I was googling the distortion I was hearing with my V2's. And from what I read, all I saw was a bunch of people hating on a great company for no reason. And honestly, I doubt the people who said here that they heard Abyss headphones and found them not special. Its a lie, there is no two ways about it. It's like driving around in a Lambo and then stepping out to say, meh, it's not that special. Stop lying. And in the end, it turned out that the distortion I was hearing, was these fucking incredible headphones, making me hear the limitations of my setup. Quality cable sorted that one out. So I have to now question Amir's setup. You cant be using entry level amps and connectors with a 3k headhpone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom