• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Real Cure for Tinnitus

OP
Martin

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
...this is the only thing that works...

95040i_ts.jpg

I think that, or at least something like those being fired, is what gave me my tinnitus.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I reckon there's going to be no single "cure" for tinnitus because it can be caused by many different things. It's essentially a symptom, typically of chronic hearing damage, but, e.g., chronic administration of certain medications can cause it (although I don't know if such meds cause the concomitant hearing damage).

I am sitting here listening to mine (so to speak) as I type this. :( It came on rather rapidly over the past few years.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When my blood sugar rachets up (which it is wont to do) I get tinnitus.

gags

I’ve tried so many things.

One of the most effective things I’ve found, quite recently, is box breathing.

T is so weird and being subjected to it makes it impossible to separate out coincidence or placebo but this box breathing working would support the theory that the brain feels threatened due to, usually age related, hearing loss and turns the gain up on the channel.

If you can convince your mind, all the way down, that everything is actually ok the gain will go back down and you won’t experience it.

Ask me next week, I’ll have another one!

gags

Also.

I suspect so many musicians and audio people have it is not primarily due to hearing damage but because we trained our ears / mind to notice audio detail and have thrown ourselves under the bus.

(Edited because I am on the wine)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also.

I suspect so many musicians and audio people have it is not primarily due to heating damage but because we trained out ears / mind to notice detail and have thrown ourselves under the bus.
Well, it's true I only really notice it during critical listening.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW I have found that I can get my tinnitus to temporarily abate like 90% by:

-Wearing earplugs, so pretty much all I can hear is the tinnitus
-Focusing on the tone
-Telling myself it's imaginary
-Reminding my brain that I should be hearing silence instead
-Imagining I'm turning lowering the gain on a notch filter at that frequency
(hey, it works for me, I've spent long enough messing with EQs that this feels intuitive)

It only takes maybe 2-3 minutes to get a really serious reduction in volume on the tinnitus tone this way. However, the effect doesn't last that long, it comes back full strength within a few hours at most.

I would really love a medical intervention that was permanent.

Last edited:

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Mine is a constant tone around 8,800Hz. Sometimes loud, sometimes quiet, and always noticeable.

Sounds like one of my ears. The other ear seems to be multiples at a lower frequency, and that's the ear in which the doctor said I had a broad loss between 6k and 8k. Together it can be like a horribly dissonant shrill chord, but I usually only sense that if I wake up in the middle of the night when it's otherwise very quiet.

Last edited:

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
FWIW I have found that I can get my tinnitus to temporarily abate like 90% by:

-Wearing earplugs, so pretty much all I can hear is the tinnitus
-Focusing on the tone
-Telling myself it's imaginary
-Reminding my brain that I should be hearing silence instead
-Imagining I'm turning lowering the gain on a notch filter at that frequency
(hey, it works for me, I've spent long enough messing with EQs that this feels intuitive)

It only takes maybe 2-3 minutes to get a really serious reduction in volume on the tinnitus tone this way. However, the effect doesn't last that long, it comes back full strength within a few hours at most.

I would really love a medical intervention that was permanent.

My dad always told me when I was a kid and complained about a bad headache to sit quietly for a bit, relax as much as possible, and concentrate on the exact spot where the pain was coming from--rather than thinking my entire head was throbbing--then keep focusing on a smaller and smaller spot. In a few minutes, the pain was significantly less. I remember him telling my cousin to try the same thing, and she didn't believe it. I told her that it worked for me and five minutes later, she said it worked for her too.

I've tried the same sort of things and I can't say I get a "serious reduction" in my tinnitus, but at least I can push it down to some degree.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure if mine is there all the time. It's been going on for so long that I think I block it until it really kicks in and becomes very loud and drowns out most stuff and continuously increases in volume and lasts for a couple to a few minutes and then it fades out and goes down to a low level and then I can ignore it again. The first few times I thought I was hearing stuff because I didn't understand what was occurring. Same as cold brain I got that from a milkshake on a really hot day and I caved and went on my knees and was there in agony for awhile until some dood walked up and patiently advised me that I have cold brain and it will fade out in short time. Both of these things blew my mind the first time. Thankfully the loud tinnitus only occurs every once in awhile.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is looks very interesting, mine has been stable for a long time so I'm usually able to ignore it, but it would be lovely to improve it.

I'm off to listen to music whilst licking a 9V battery.

Top Bottom