• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

a 2nd SP400 as Preamp to power the SUSVARA

TonyNL

Hi, thank you for you response.
As far as the chain goes, the amp is the only weak element that I would like to improve (the DAC is otherwise top notch).
And I did make the mistake of purchasing tue sp400 specifically for tye Susvara, not inowing that it does not deliver enough current, as well as having limited gain for such inefficient headphones (especially including the -5db due to eq).
Since I the DAC seems to be very good a delivering transient and being transparent. I am waiting for an amp that can do both.
The Cayiin IHA-6 is for example has high current delivery but poor transparency. The topping stuff has very weak transients.
Hopefully something that checks all those boxes comes along.
Too bad there is not a @gustard Amp designed for inefficient planars. I like their products (minus the swappable Opamps stuff, that is PR stunt).
I went straight to a speaker power amp. No regret, but it's so good. Maybe I will look into a R2R DAC :)

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
The quality control is not great, as I read in multiple forums that people got their headphones destroyed and replaced, due to the 3X instabilities.
I've had more than 10 Burson devices and I only had issue with only one (an intermitent hiss on one channel) and Burson sent me a new one within couple of weeks. Best customer support ever.

OP
R

Red@

I've had more than 10 Burson devices and I only had issue with only one (an intermitent hiss on one channel) and Burson sent me a new one within couple of weeks. Best customer support ever.
I don't doubt their customer support, in all fairness, the other impacted customer reported the same satisfying experience with burson's customer support. But this is not the issue here. The soloist 3x had many reported cases of damaging headphones. So I will not take any chances. Other than that I am not into swappable Opamps like I mentionned earlier.
At this point the only Amp that seems intersting (pending confirmation) is the VOLOT; because it gets closer to a speaker amp in terms of power (and current delivery) and also could hopefully be transparent based in amir's review of the FA10 (means flux know how to make transparent amps even in descret designs).
The downside is that it is well above what a accept to pay for an Amp, so back to square one

Top Bottom