• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

90% Movies, Corner Loading Room - which sub?

90% Movies, Corner Loading Room - which sub?

• Total voters

Bimbleton

5AD5E812-B778-4AB2-9109-AC28E277B693.jpeg
Narrowed down to these two. Equivalent price. May buy a second years down the road. Which do you recommend?

13x22x7’ media room, with 2 adjacent 10x10 rooms separated by a door.
Concrete slab
MLP 8ft away
Vast majority is movie watching at 90-95db bass max.

My brain says get the ported because it’s better for movies.
My heart wants the sealed F18 to plumb the depths of the frequency range. I’ve never experienced a sub that big and I want to.

What would you recommend?

ONE IMPORTANT POINT: the best sub placement (corner by 2 concrete slabs) yields a MASSIVE +10db boost below 45HZ for my current HSU VTF2.

OP
Bimbleton

Bimbleton

Yeah I’m wondering if it actually makes more sense to get a second matching 12” and instead upgrade my center (which has dialogue clarity issues moving from seat to seat).

Curvature

Major Contributor
Yeah I’m wondering if it actually makes more sense to get a second matching 12” and instead upgrade my center (which has dialogue clarity issues moving from seat to seat).
New target acquired, I'd say.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My heart wants the sealed F18 to plumb the depths of the frequency range. I’ve never experienced a sub that big and I want to.
Anymore, I always go ported unless I need a physically smaller sub.

That is for the same reasons almost all speakers sold today are ported. The efficiency gain is just too hard to pass up, and implemented well, there are no audible tradeoffs with low-tuned subs.

When you want to "plumb the depths", you will actually feel those depths much more with the ported sub.

The stuff under 10 Hz just causes rattles 50ft away across the house, but nothing at your seat. At least, in my experience.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm trying to make sense of what the measurements mean in the context of this thread. They certainly don't relate to the subwoofer choices. I see a speaker measurement that is noticeably brighter than the other.

OP
Bimbleton

Bimbleton

I'm trying to make sense of what the measurements mean in the context of this thread. They certainly don't relate to the subwoofer choices. I see a speaker measurement that is noticeably brighter than the other.
ah sorry should’ve clarified. The brighter speaker is my center, a Rebel C25.

The reason I included the picture is to show the corner loading my room/sub placement creates, particularly below 50hz. Unfortunately, placement in other places creates dramatic, audible nulls.

A matching sub could potentially create a nice even response.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

The reason I included the picture is to show the corner loading my room/sub placement creates, particularly below 50hz. Unfortunately, placement in other places creates dramatic, audible nulls.

A matching sub could potentially create a nice even response.
And matching subs are generally easier to integrate as well. Although you can always go Geddes otoh.

Recluse-Animator

When you want to "plumb the depths", you will actually feel those depths much more with the ported sub.

The stuff under 10 Hz just causes rattles 50ft away across the house, but nothing at your seat. At least, in my experience.
What?

And you should definitely feel 10 Hz stuff in your room.

Curvature

Major Contributor
Where does Geddes state that you can mix all kinds of subs?
He's said IIRC that you don't have to do phase or time alignment as long as you sufficiently randomize sub placement according to his schema. That and EQ helps with in room FR. As such there's no need to have all follow the same brands/model.

OP
Bimbleton

Bimbleton

He's said IIRC that you don't have to do phase or time alignment as long as you sufficiently randomize sub placement according to his schema. That and EQ helps with in room FR. As such there's no need to have all follow the same brands/model.
Not a chance in hell my wife would allow randomized sub placement

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

Made me think of this video. I don't have a home theater setup, but if I ever get one, I'll do a hard pass on any MTM centers:

Curvature

Major Contributor
Not a chance in hell my wife would allow randomized sub placement
Hard to use another word for it. If I'm not mistaken the simple way of putting it is: three subs: one along the front wall, one along the back wall, one along the side wall. The corner may only be used once.

Recluse-Animator

I know that he states that three subs is enough. But if he also says you don't need phase and time alignment then three subs isn't gonna cut it in my opinion.
Maybe in a small room. In a normal sized room for that to work you would need some serious subs to get away with only three.

Curvature

Major Contributor
But if he also says you don't need phase and time alignment then three subs isn't gonna cut it in my opinion.
Why? Neither of those aspects are related to the size of rooms.

His comments are based on psychoacoustics. The range of time it takes for the ear to register low bass means that time alignment becomes meaningless.

His requirement for three subs is based on optimally exciting as many modes in a room as possible in an uncorrelated manner. This renders phase adjustment unnecessary, as does running the mains without a high pass filter and subs without low pass.

Recluse-Animator

Why? Neither of those aspects are related to the size of rooms.

His comments are based on psychoacoustics. The range of time it takes for the ear to register low bass means that time alignment becomes meaningless.

His requirement for three subs is based on optimally exciting as many modes in a room as possible in an uncorrelated manner. This renders phase adjustment unnecessary, as does running the mains without a high pass filter and subs without low pass.
Then why does all room corrections time align subs? Or why do people manually do it?

20Hz: 343.987m/s

20kHz: 344.1206m/s

In a worst case scenario without phase adjustment couldn't two of the three subs cancel each other out and leave only one sub to perform as intended?

I didn't know or I had forgot that his setup don't use low pass.
It's possible to localize a sub playing over 80 Hz, but three subs over 80 Hz I don't know.

Top Bottom