• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommend me Rythmic Subs for Surround System

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I decided to build another dedicated space, but for multichannel and movies. I am doing 7.1.4 or 7.2.4 Here is what I've got so far:

Room: 18x22x8 room with audio closet and an open stairwell going up from basement. Concrete slab over sand, 3 concrete walls, one studded wall. Rockwool sound insulaion on all 5 sides, going up the stairs and so on. I am going to drywall the space after I wire it. I am planning to put 3/4" recycled rubber stall mats over the concrete slab after the drywall goes up, and will add some acoutstic panels on top of the dry wall as well. I have a source for mats that aren't supposed to be too stinky and can cover them with carpet or something if I need to. The studded wall is adjacent to shop space. I wonder if I should put sound insulation in this wall, or let the bass use the whole space more freely.

TV is an 86" Samsung UQ8000 that I got from Samsclub for $1099. In the showroom, it seemed like the only important differences are size and price. I was a little afraid of TCL, so this one got my money.

Processor: Denon X6700H that I got for $2k at A4L

Amps: I need to order some amps. I will probably get buckeyes. Haven't decided yet. Budget, $2-3k.

Height Speakers: Focal 100 IC6 cans

L, R, Surrounds: Focal 100 IW6

Center: Focal 300 IW LCR6

I wanted in wall speakers because the room isn't big enough to give up 2 feet on each wall. I only spent $3k on speakers (at A4L) because it seems like IW speakers are mostly overpriced junk anyway. These are cheap enough to throw away if some company dercides to make something I think is actually worthy of a big cash outlay. The 100 series LCR speaker is a two-way, and the 300 is a 3-way, so I figured it should actually be quite different, hopefully better. Center channel is the most important, so I did that. I thought about getting 300 series for L&R, perhaps surrounds, but I figure there probably isn't much difference anyway since the Choras, Arias, and even Kantas are so similar in performance. I didn't want to spend twice as much money for 5% more performance that I probably can't actually detect after running Audyssey.

Anyway, please recommend me some subs. I am not sure what will work best.

Should I get 2 F12s so I can get low distortion in higher bass frequencies to make up for the limits of the small speakers in the wall?

Should I just get an F18 so I can shake seats with Jurassic World?

Should I get one of each, and do both? F15s? Some other sub?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are leaving out a few key pieces of information that are needed for people to make recommendations:

1) What is your intended maximum listening level? Are you going for theater THX reference levels (peaks of 105db for mains, 115 for subs), an adjusted reference level for the size of your room (3000 cu feet, so peaks of 98 db for the mains, 108 db for subs), or some other level? See here about reference levels:

Your speakers appear capable of the full THX reference level if high passed at 80 hz and you use more than 100 w/ch given they use 2 6.5" woofers:

(Note that while your receiver has adequate wattage, it appears to be limited in driving lower impedance loads, and the Focal speakers you are using list their minimum impedance as 2.9 ohms, so your idea of using an external amp, at least for the mains, is likely wise.)

2) What is your budget?

3) How many people will be watching at any given time?

As to 1 versus 2 subwoofers, that is a no brainer question. Two properly placed and equalized subwoofers will give far smoother in room response at more positions, which in turns leads to perceptually tighter bass. The size needed is a function of your listening volume. The difference of 6db maximum volume is the difference between using 2 Rythmik F12 and 2 Rythmik E15 subwoofers, so your peak targeted levels are important. Also, while I am a big fan of Rythmik subwoofers (see my sig line), it appears that your usage is primarily home theater, so in terms of bang for your buck, I would suggest you expand your potential choices to other brands. Hsu Subwoofers makes great subwoofers, $2000 gets you a pair of ULS-15 subwoofers, or $2250 a pair of VTF-15H MK2 subs, which will net you the same or more output than a pair of Rythmik FVX15 subs which will cost you $3,000 a pair. Likewise the Monoprice Monolith THX certified subwoofers have garnered a reputation for the best performance per dollar spent.

OP
Helicopter

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. This is super helpful. My budget is pretty flexible. Bass performance is important and I'd like reference levels, also I don't want to upgrade the subs later. I feel like Rythmic is the sweet spot in terms of value. I find the in wall speakers on the market to be a bit disappointing, and that's why I didn't spend more on speakers. I might upgrade the speakers later, but that isn't happening until the manufacturers start making something better than what is currently available.

I went ahead and ordered a pair of E15HPs in gloss white.

For amps, I want clean class D power, and I want to keep it under $4k, just because I don't think there is much improvement available above that, unless you go insane on AHB2s or something. Buckeye seems like the obvious choice.

OP
Helicopter

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I went ahead and ordered 2 buckeye 6 channel nc252mp amps to run the speakers.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you will be very happy with your choices. I recommend spending some time reading about how to place and tune multiple subs to maximize the funds you have spent.

Dal1as

If you are using an AT screen there is no reason to not use matched LCR up front.

Crossed at 80hz the 6700 would have easilly ran those speakers but it looks like you already got the amps.

For subs why not 4 of the hsu 15s? Spend time and money on a mini dsp, mic, and learning REW.

As for the in walls. When done correctly they can sound better than in room speakers. Take some time to research this.

I've listened to the 2 way Focals and they were alright. I would go for the 3 ways or another on wall.

Monolith THX line is great. KEF THX ones as well.

OP
Helicopter

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ordered 2 more Focal 300 IW LCR 3-ways for the front left and right channels.

Top Bottom