• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

8361A’s - First Impressions

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s crazy that today I finally realized GLM sound character profiler does not affect the subs.

I realized that while looking at my “Acoustic Editor” it only affects the monitors.

So yes I ended up manually bumping up the sub corrections.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
To my knowledge, speakers shouldn’t be producing sound images out side the stage between them.

I'll agree with other posters: that depends on the mix. If sounds are placed to the right or left of the speakers via the usual methods, I'd expect good, properly set-up speakers to reproduce that. I'd be surprised if the Genelec didn't.

Some will prefer speakers that add/enhance that effect via a larger ratio/wider spread of side-wall reflections. That's somewhat orthogonal to the claim quoted (to coin a phrase).

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some will prefer speakers that add/enhance that effect via a larger ratio/wider spread of side-wall reflections. That's somewhat orthogonal to the claim quoted (to coin a phrase).
And it reduces precise pin point imaging. Instruments become wider and their position more diffuse. Nothing wrong if one prefers such a representation.

SDC

Yeah I too think GLM makes bass too little. I use stereo subwoofers to give 8351b more punch, using just GLM SCP is bit nahhhhhh.... Both on ear and REW

Trell

Major Contributor
The biggest difference I notice is the soundstage. The 1032’s had no trouble producing soundstage outside the speaker’s spread, the 8361’s seem to contain the soundstage to between the speakers.
Obviously you’ll need a few more 8361’s for a surround setup. ;)

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose there is always a compromise. We acknowledge even if a fully treated path exists to the ears you can have sounds coming at you from even the sides.

Some phase effects can try to trick you into thinking sounds are coming from behind you. They can work but the level they can convince you would be determined by a lot of factors.it’s more convincing when your mind is at ease and it catches you by surprise. Sometimes when you listen for something you expect it doesn’t present itself.

Would wider dispersion increase the effect?probably. Would it be less focused? Probably.

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
FB_IMG_1666453079991.jpg

The 2 beasts side by side

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To my knowledge, speakers shouldn’t be producing sound images out side the stage between them.
Depends on what “data” is on the recording.
Q-sound generates images all over the place even with 2 speakers but its effectiveness is very sensitive to accompanying equipment.
Try Roger Waters “Amused to death” where distant dogs barking and a narrator well to the left and ahead of the left speaker is astonishing.

During the period Devialet were developing their software to link 2 units together as dual mono amps a couple of the development softwares lost a lot of the precision in the position of the narrator though I never found out why, the final version was fine.

Anyway IME the stereo image, as sound quality in general, is far more dependant on the recording itself than any equipment choice we make to listen to it on.

Trell

Major Contributor
Try Roger Waters “Amused to death” where distant dogs barking and a narrator well to the left and ahead of the left speaker is astonishing.
I’ve the multi-channel SACD version of it and when playing the stereo later I had to check that the voice did not come out from the surround speaker.

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I do not understand such claims like - the X loudspeakers are the best loudspeakers in the world. The best? But in what way?

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Depends on what “data” is on the recording.
Q-sound generates images all over the place even with 2 speakers but its effectiveness is very sensitive to accompanying equipment.

During the period Devialet were developing their software to link 2 units together as dual mono amps a couple of the development softwares lost a lot of the precision in the position of the narrator though I never found out why, the final version was fine.

Anyway IME the stereo image, as sound quality in general, is far more dependant on the recording itself than any equipment choice we make to listen to it on.
Would you agree with:

Recording > room > speaker > everything else?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Do coaxials usually have a smaller
soundstage?
I wonder if the KH420 would have a bigger soundstage just Becaue it's a traditional 3-way
Obviously I have no way to hear them both and compare

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Our mate @TimVG measured his pair, some time ago...

OP
RobL

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you get a good pair of 1032A second hand, that's a price/performance ratio that is hard to beat, IMO.

My 2 pairs costed me around 1500€ (1 pair)
I sold my pair (mint w/grills) for 1300€ (CAD$1750). That fellow got a very good pair of speakers! :)

Top Bottom