• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

8361A’s - First Impressions

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
High quality speakers in good rooms reproduce accurately the recording which can include all kinds of spatial cues including sounds from outside the speakers.
I hear it. I feel it. I hear the space coming to me. It may not “surround” me but I feel like i’m there in their space.

I’d like to add that my space now sounds like a “blank canvas”

Last edited:

Oukkidoukki

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is intresting. I just went back to my old dac..rme adi2 the old one from 2004...after using smsl su8....because after rigorous testing I found rme more spacious, wide.....could it be so that smsl is actually more accurate and i just perceive wideness more enjoyable? Like here.....could 8361 be more thrutful vs 1032.......

OP
RobL

RobL

This is intresting. I just went back to my old dac..rme adi2 the old one from 2004...after using smsl su8....because after rigorous testing I found rme more spacious, wide.....could it be so that smsl is actually more accurate and i just perceive wideness more enjoyable? Like here.....could 8361 be more thrutful vs 1032.......
I’m sure the 61’s are more truthfull than the 1032’s…it’s a SOTA speaker vs a decades-old design. :) That said the 1032’s w/eq are 90% of the way to 8361 imo.
Please don’t read too much into my subjective observations…I haven’t really had time to set these up properly, just plunked them down and pressed play :)

Oukkidoukki

I have heard 8361 and I think they are best speaker in the world now when proberly installed. Silkiness of treble is unheard before. But room acusticts and all must be spot on for phenomenal experience.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have heard 8361 and I think they are best speaker in the world now when proberly installed. Silkiness of treble is unheard before. But room acusticts and all must be spot on for phenomenal experience.
What have you compared to though? That’s quite an assertion and maybe true but you would have had to have listened to a lot of comparable systems to say that.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
According to GLM my in-room LF -3dB is 26 hz…REW says the same :p.
Incredible for no sub. Is that from the GRADE report? Because that number is pre correction extension.

Sorry. If REW concurred then it’s not from the GRADE report. I wonder at what level they will go into protection.

Last edited:

Oukkidoukki

Kii three, pmc bb5, jbl lsr series, focal trio 11, b&w 802….what comes to my mind….those I have heard…..Genelecs were above in my ears. But yeah, maybe unfair claim. I rephrase, in my mind. So not scientific at all and because of that, not passable accusation. My apologies.

OP
RobL

RobL

Incredible for no sub. Is that from the GRADE report? Because that number is pre correction extension.

Sorry. If REW concurred then it’s not from the GRADE report. I wonder at what level they will go into protection.
3DB3BEEE-AF88-43F2-9A55-22AA7CA60284.jpegAEA9C6E6-5B22-45B3-A948-288D369C7386.jpeg
Look at the bass cut glm had to do! Lol

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So the bass hump would fit for something with dimensions around 12.5 feet (3.75 meters). That fit with any room dimensions you have?

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 238724View attachment 238725
Yes I have the same in my room. I think all of us do. So the issue here is you can switch between calibrated and uncalibrated easily.

Sometimes you will like the uncalibrated better. On some songs you will not.

It depends.

With some placement experimentation that gap will decrease.

However we all grew up with the uncalibrated bass. That was hi fi bass for us.

So we have to find a happy medium. Tangbamd specifically mentioned just cutting the corrections in half.

I haven’t gotten that advanced yet. I’m just happy to add a shelf. My subs actually clip already.

OP
RobL

RobL

So the bass hump would fit for something with dimensions around 12.5 feet (3.75 meters). That fit with any room dimensions you have?
It’s an odd shaped room…smallest dimension is height (2.44m). Where the speakers are sitting is about 13.5’ wide for about 10’ then widens to about 19’. That area is about 30’ long.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s an odd shaped room…smallest dimension is height (2.44m). Where the speakers are sitting is about 13.5’ wide for about 10’ then widens to about 19’. That area is about 30’ long.
Probably the 13.5 feet then. The other room dimensions are long enough the frequencies involved are down where the speaker output has dropped off.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So the 8361 are not high quality?
Of course not. Read what was written - it depends on the recording!
  • A studio recording with pan-pot style stereo contains no room sound so the sound appears in between the speakers.
  • Try a recording with rreal room information or an artificial Q-Sound processed recording (e.g. Sting - Soul Cages) and the sound can appear from outside the speakers, even at 90 degree to the left or right.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Kii three, pmc bb5, jbl lsr series, focal trio 11, b&w 802….what comes to my mind….those I have heard…..Genelecs were above in my ears. But yeah, maybe unfair claim. I rephrase, in my mind. So not scientific at all and because of that, not passable accusation. My apologies.
You have heard far more than I have. No apologies needed.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course not. Read what was written - it depends on the recording!
  • A studio recording with pan-pot style stereo contains no room sound so the sound appears in between the speakers.
  • Try a recording with rreal room information or an artificial Q-Sound processed recording (e.g. Sting - Soul Cages) and the sound can appear from outside the speakers, even at 90 degree to the left or right.
Thanks for the reminder. Soul cages was another one. There is a flute that comes from nowhere on “mad about you”

Also in point 1. I have heard some mono recordings that sound incredible. I had to tune my positioning and toe in to get the image as close to a single speaker playing.

There is still some “ambience” ipossibly phase effects from the ceiling. There is depth even in the sense that even if everything is coming the center an instrument can be 3dB down and you hear it behind the louder instrument.

Some real doozies in here too:

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 238724View attachment 238725
Below are mine. You will see the same. I have bass traps on my front corners and the entire bottom of the front wall too. Without DSP this would be impossible to manage.

Yes I need to work on the right sub position. And the left monitor position

Even my puny 8341 reaches 35hz in my room. But trust me when I say the subs make a difference.

Also you can see that if leave them uncalibrated would pretty flat +10dB under 100Hz. The subs that is.

The monitors would have a 40-70hz huge hump.

But yours is ridiculous almost 20dB up in that hump. That’s what we got used to. Now we want that kind of power but with clear clean bass definition which doesn’t cloud the mids. So we can EQ it back in with a more gentle and controlled slope.

Attachments

• A4663365-1C2A-4421-B4CD-43117B741910.jpeg
    A4663365-1C2A-4421-B4CD-43117B741910.jpeg
    229.6 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Top Bottom