• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

8-channel volume control

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I've tried these two analog 8 channel VC/controllers:
Volume8_frei-1.jpg

SMC71_Front_Black.png

The Volume8 is simple and compact and useful but has been shown to have some balance/tracking errors at the extreme settings. The SMC is better with more useful options although I experienced a failure of one of the pushbuttons in my sample. Both are worth investigating anyway.

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've tried these two analog 8 channel VC/controllers:
Volume8_frei-1.jpg

SMC71_Front_Black.png

The Volume8 is simple and compact and useful but has been shown to have some balance/tracking errors at the extreme settings. The SMC is better with more useful options although I experienced a failure of one of the pushbuttons in my sample. Both are worth investigating anyway.
It doesn't seem like a company known for measuring.

wisechoice

If I was sure of the sound quality, I'd be happy with the simplicity of the Volume8 at the end of my chain, since I have control of the more complex aspects via TotalMix + ARC USB. The problem right now is when I'm switching inputs on my DACs and get a pop, or I'm playing DSD, and I either trigger full range noise with the wrong DoP path or want to keep all the DACs at 100% and attenuate the signal for all channels equally. HQPlayer can handle channel mapping and levels before the DAC stage, in that case.

wisechoice

At this point, I'm approaching or exceeding a total spend on DACs etc equal to a Fireface UCX II, which I'm still seriously considering buying to replace all of these devices. The only problem there is lack of DSD, and I still haven't been persuaded that the difference I'm hearing and feeling with DSD isn't there… placebo or not (and placebo effect is real!)

Otherwise, waiting for the Dac8 Pro to become available once again. But in that case, no TotalMix/ARC USB control, which I've come to appreciate. They would both work with the Fireface.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
+1 for OktoDAC8. I just switched to all analog outputs (was AES 1&2) and the little tiny apple remote is a joy.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
+2 for the Okto Pro. I was waiting 10 years for somebody to make something like this and this nice to use.

I use USB and AES input and balanced outputs directly to the amps with all XO and DSP done on a current Mac mini (but you don't need anything nearly this modern or powerful) with 3 way speakers and 2 subs. Always better to do it on a computer than on a dedicated box, they all have limited processing capabilities by any comparison.

wisechoice

Yeah, in my case, I’m already going five channels into the bass managed 7050c sub. It’s Genelec, so probably very good, but I have no idea how it measures. Another 8 channels of analog routing might not be ideal. All balanced, though.

wisechoice

OK, I've ordered the Volume8 used on Reverb, for a lot more money than I thought I would ever pay for a volume control -- which, if I'm being honest, was zero until the very recent past -- and will be sending to Amir for testing, which he has generously agreed to do. I guess we'll all see how it holds up.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

wisechoice

Thanks, I found that thread but only yesterday. Good to have it linked in this thread for others!

wisechoice

Amir's review of the (used) SPL Volume8 that I ordered and drop shipped to him is up now (!)

Top Bottom