• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$500 desktop system for boss

a|F

My boss has significantly contributed to my success this year, so I'm going to hook him up with a desktop stereo system, with an all-in budget (with cables) of $500. He listens to spotify primarily.

I'm still not understanding if a DAC would add value or be unnecessary at such a budget. If not, at what budget is a DAC worthwhile?

Assuming your only limits are a 5" woofer (size) and $500, how do you get the best sound with decent bass?

Thanks!

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
You will want to focus the bulk of your $500 budget on quality speakers. Powered speakers would make the most sense if this is a small desktop setup; you avoid using up space (and extra $$$) on having to buy a separate amp.

As for a DAC: it depends. What is the music source? If it's just set up to push Spotify (or whatever) from a laptop via the headphone jack then yes, a DAC will likely make an improvement to the sound quality. But the biggest bang for the buck will still be speakers.

So you could potentially do something like:

There are other great DACs and speakers that could fit into the $500 budget, those are just examples.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
You will want to focus the bulk of your $500 budget on quality speakers. Powered speakers would make the most sense if this is a small desktop setup; you avoid using up space (and extra $$$) on having to buy a separate amp.

As for a DAC: it depends. What is the music source? If it's just set up to push Spotify (or whatever) from a laptop via the headphone jack then yes, a DAC will likely make an improvement to the sound quality. But the biggest bang for the buck will still be speakers.

So you could potentially do something like:

There are other great DACs and speakers that could fit into the $500 budget, those are just examples.
Jbl305 are $99 apiece for speakers on Amazon.com

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Something like an LG V20 Quad DAC might nicely solve the Spotify source//DAC problem.

How about throwing in a $79 pair of SHP9500 for a taste of ,'decent' HP experience? Very comfortable. Useable with LG, but a $100 Heresy or L30 would be a 'thoughtful' step up. Or maybe better - a $110 Qudelix 5k..

Thinking more about the Qudelix, it could be used via bt from his phone output to a small power amp, and then a $100 pair of Neumi
https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/neumi_bs5/

Desktop with full PEQ for < $500.. Plus you can have fun showing how to optimize PEQ to his taste..

Last edited:

BillG

Major Contributor
My boss has significantly contributed to my success this year, so I'm going to hook him up with a desktop stereo system, with an all-in budget (with cables) of $500. He listens to spotify primarily.

I'm still not understanding if a DAC would add value or be unnecessary at such a budget. If not, at what budget is a DAC worthwhile?

Assuming your only limits are a 5" woofer (size) and $500, how do you get the best sound with decent bass?

Thanks!

I'm going to keep it more traditional with an integrated amp and passive speaker combo:

~$150USD
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/loxjie-a30-amplifier-review.17547/

On sale at ~250USD
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...infinity-r162-bookshelf-speaker-review.12333/

If the 162's are too big for his desk, then there little brothers will do. They're on sale now for ~$160 USD
https://www.infinityspeakers.com/bookshelf-speakers/REFERENCE+152.html

witchdoctor

Last edited:

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why is that? His boss open up that box it looks beautiful in his office, sounds great and he'll get compliments, it is easy to use, has bas extension down to 39 hz, ARC room correction and its 50% off on sale right now. It will be a home run IMO. No cables necessary except to plug it in.
Look at the specs in this review:
https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews...kers/paradigm-pw-800-wireless-speaker-review/
I agree that this type of thing might be the way to go. He can always use it somewhere. But Play-fi is terrible. I'd probably go with the Sonos Five over the paradigm.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I would suggest the 305P as above, and mate it with a Topping D50s. The BT connection will solve a lot of the streaming dilemma be it phone or laptop. Top it up with a pair of RCA -> 1/4" cables for maybe $20/-.

You may want to add a pair of small speaker stands though.

Neat and tidy and will most likely sound great in a small room.

witchdoctor

I agree that this type of thing might be the way to go. He can always use it somewhere. But Play-fi is terrible. I'd probably go with the Sonos Five over the paradigm.

I actually use Play-Fi all over the house and it has been updated many, many times since it first came out. No issues. When you use Spotify you don't even need to use the play-fi app, you just open up spotify and it "sees" the speaker and you can stream away. The other thing is Paradigm has fantastic support so any issues you just call. Good luck calling a manufacturer overseas for support :).
Play-fi also supports hirez.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would spend the entire budget on high-quality active speakers (and a cable to connect them).

He can use his smartphone or computer as the source; it's unlikely there will be any audible difference in quality between the DAC in his phone/computer and a standalone DAC that you're likely to pay upwards of $100 for.

If you're really concerned that whatever he has may be substandard, then the Apple USB-C dongle for $10 will do the job more than adequately.

(Ofc, this is the rational side of my brain saying this. It's a gift, so a nice piece of jewellery to sit on the desk and take the signal from the computer and turn it into music to send to the speakers might not be a bad idea from an emotional POV :))

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Pair of Kali LP-6, and then add any of the the sub $99 DACs that measure in the top quadrant.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Pair of Kali LP-6, and then add any of the the sub $99 DACs that measure in the top quadrant.

You'll need a pretty big desk for those to fit!

No kidding , just look up the sizes and compare with the 5" speakers like the 305P. The 6.5" ones are a lot bigger !

Last edited:

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a gift. Even if the boss is an audio person I would hesitate to give paired components and speakers. Simple and nice to use would be the way to go, I think.

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You'll need a pretty big desk for those to fit!

No kidding , just look up the sizes and compare with the 5" speakers like the 305P. The 6.5" ones are a lot bigger !

There's no replacement for displacement.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
For an office, the ergonomics of some may be questionable...

Maybe a pair of Audioengines in bamboo?

Audioengine_A5_BM_A5_Plus_Speaker_System_1581981685000_819560.jpg

I have a pair, and like them a lot.

You could plug a CCA into it (as I have it) and it's suddenly a streaming system.

Top Bottom