• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

5.1 to 6 channels for TV

gac800

I am looking for a way do extract the 6 discreet channels of audio from a 5.1 surround signal when watching streaming (Netflix etc).

currently my set up is:
Roku (streaming source) > Toslink connection to Motu 828es > EKIO crossover on PC > 5-way speakers

I am looking for a way to separate the signal before it gets into EKIO so that I can have 6 input channels.

OP
gac800

gac800

I have seen some hdmi 5.1 to 6 channel anologue audio extractors on Amazon. It would probably work this way, and I could just run the anologue channels into the Motu inputs but I would prefer to keep it digital and continue using the TOSLink.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You have to be watching specifically Dolby content for that to work, TOSLINK is not capable of 5.1 PCM output.

Decoding Dolby Digital plus is not wide spread anymore.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Decoding Dolby Digital plus is not wide spread anymore.
It is very widespread. Basically any Dolby Atmos track from a streaming service is packed into Dolby Digital Plus ;)

The bitrate is just 2 to 3 times higher. In theory spdif should have enough bandwidth for this, but in practice, it’s not supported.

Anyway, none of this will help you… you’ll need an AV processor with digital outputs. They exists, but only in the €$£ 10k+ price bracket.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I meant devices that offer Toslink in and 5.1 out are not common anymore.
You mean with digital outputs? Did those ever exist for normal money? You can find plenty of devices that do HDMI to 7.1 analog. DD and DTS to 7.1 can also be found on AliExpress for as low as €20. I won’t comment on the quality ;)

I did find this:

Last edited:
OP
gac800

gac800

You mean with digital outputs? Did those ever exist for normal money? You can find plenty of devices that do HDMI to 7.1 analog. DD and DTS to 7.1 can also be found on AliExpress for as low as €20. I won’t comment on the quality ;)

I did find this:

So that would work though? Even if it is dubious quality. I was under the impression that these devices needed a license to decode Dolby and DTS which was built into the cost of an AV receiver.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So that would work though? Even if it is dubious quality. I was under the impression that these devices needed a license to decode Dolby and DTS which was built into the cost of an AV receiver.
Yes, they need that. This particular device does not have any decoding capabilities. It will probably work fine with 7.1 PCM. Luckily many streamers can do the decoding for you and can output 7.1 PCM as well.

There are boards to be found that can do the decoding of as well (from DD to TrueHD). None will do Atmos though (at the moment). No idea what quirks these things will have though… and they are much more expensive, like € 200+

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I did find this:

I meant with analog outputs even.

OP
gac800

gac800

Unfortunately my streaming device only outputs Dolby Digital, so I think I am going to need a board that also decodes.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I am looking for a way do extract the 6 discreet channels of audio from a 5.1 surround signal when watching streaming (Netflix etc).

currently my set up is:
Roku (streaming source) > Toslink connection to Motu 828es > EKIO crossover on PC > 5-way speakers

I am looking for a way to separate the signal before it gets into EKIO so that I can have 6 input channels.

If you are using a PC, the Windows Netflix app already streams 5.1 audio so no Roku in the chain is needed. Do you plan of using a 5.1c setup using a multichannel DAC? You mentioned 5-way, but is this for stereo or 2.1 output only?

OP
gac800

gac800

If you are using a PC, the Windows Netflix app already streams 5.1 audio so no Roku in the chain is needed. Do you plan of using a 5.1c setup using a multichannel DAC? You mentioned 5-way, but is this for stereo or 2.1 output only?
That is a good idea to just use the PC as the streaming platform.

I currently use a motu 828es as a multichannel dac to run stereo 5-way multiamped speaker for music (Roon) and streaming (Roku)

I still have 4 dac channels available on the 828 so I was hoping to use them for surround L/R and center for streaming. Just need to find a way to get the 5.1 signal into Ekio

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
That is a good idea to just use the PC as the streaming platform.

I currently use a motu 828es as a multichannel dac to run stereo 5-way multiamped speaker for music (Roon) and streaming (Roku)

I still have 4 dac channels available on the 828 so I was hoping to use them for surround L/R and center for streaming. Just need to find a way to get the 5.1 signal into Ekio

Hmmmn... Most basic use-case I have in mind is simply streaming MCH content directly inside the PC using apps like Netflix, Disney+, and Microsoft's own "Movies & TV" -- or even your own discs/local files -- and sending it to software like JRiver to do the necessary channel re-mapping and/or mixing. Unfortunately, there aren't any other Windows apps I know of that provide MCH audio content other than those three so choices are far more limited than if one were using a separate Roku box or Apple TV device.

I believe @dualazmak uses Ekio and JRiver as well, though, I think he has limited himself to a pure stereo multi-way only setup (?)

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe @dualazmak uses Ekio and JRiver as well, though, I think he has limited himself to a pure stereo multi-way only setup (?)

Yes, basically you are right.

However(!), I sometimes use big Panasonic TH-55HZ1800 55-inch OLED 4K TV as my PC monitor in case if I would like to fully enjoy Audio-Visual contents. Please refer to my post here for the details.

My audio setup is still pure stereo multiway, but you may easily change it into your preferable 3.1, 5.1, 7.1, even 7.2 audio system using EKIO + DAC8PRO + multi-amplifier.

I do hope my copy-paste into here would be kindly allowed as follows;

To tell the truth, I sometimes (once in a month or less) seriously enjoy HiRes (HiRes in visual and audio) YouTube videos such as my beloved Voices of Music's wonderful baroque and early classical music performances, and also enjoy 2K (Full-HD) and/or 4K TV music programs. In these HiRes audio-visual occasion, I take a kind of "reverse thinking configuration" of using my 4K OLED (organic light-emitting diode) 55-inch TV as just PC screen monitor with all the digital audio signals still going into EKIO to be XO/EQ processed with my multichannel multi-driver multi-amplifier audio system.

Last year in March, I finally replaced my rather old (and discontinued) Panasonic 50-inch plasma TV with new Panasonic TH-55HZ1800 55-inch OLED 4K TV which we usually use in our dining room connected to my audio listening room. When we turn-around that OLED 4K TV 180 degree facing to our listening room, it just fit between our L & R SP drivers. In my post here, you can find several photos of our listening room as of January 2021 including the TV audio-visual setup with our old Panasonic 50-inch plasma TV which has been already replaced by new 4K OLED 55-inch TV TH-55HZ1800. (Now, all of our TVs receive TV channels through BNC coaxial line connected to optical digital TV channel receiver unit; the "single!"optical digital cable coming into my home supports both ordinary high-speed internet connections and also all of the available optical TV channels [and also many many FM radio channels]).

With my audio dedicated completely silent Windows PC (see my post here and end portion of here for the details), I usually use one DVI-I connected standard 27-inch PC monitor of 2560 x 1440 pixel. For my above audio-visual (PC/TV) sessions, I can connect the TH-55HZ1800 4K OLED 55-inch TV as the "second" pure PC monitor using one HDMI cable from my PC's motherboard HDMI-out, and Windows 11 Pro can utilize it as 4K 3840 x 2160 HiRes 55-inch large screen monitor of Refresh Rate 30 Hz which is just OK for my YouTube and TV program watching. Again, all the audio signals are still configured to go into EKIO via ASIO driver(s) (or WASAPI, if needed) for DSP (XO/EQ) processing in my main multichannel audio system.

I also have really reasonably priced full HD TV tuner wire-connected to our GB home LAN (i.e. not directly to TV or PCs) which receives all of our local digital TV channels, BS digital full HD channels and 4K digital channels through BNC coaxial line from the optical digital TV receiving unit and also connected to high-speed GB home LAN (we call it optical TV!). Using the dedicated TV-player software for that LAN-connected TV-Tuner, my audio PC (as well as any of the PCs in my home, and also from outside of my home only if I like to do so with our smart phones or mobile PCs) can play all of the available TV channels/programs quite smoothly with completely no interruption nor slowing-down. Of course through the wired high-speed GB LAN to optical internet connection, the PC can play any of the YouTube videos as well as other internet streaming video/audio programs really smoothly.

In summary, at least in my optical high-speed internet/TV and fast wired GB LAN environment, together with a LAN-attached HD TV tuner, I can use my PC as YouTube and other streaming audio-visual center as well as 4K TV center with "using 4K OLED 55-inch TV just as visual PC monitor" and "all the audio signals can be processed by my main multichannel multi-driver multi-way multi-amplifier full audio setup".

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

currently my set up is:

There are various sound cards that can decode DD 5.1 from an SPDIF input and pass the signal to the OS. I recall even Creative had one.

SDC

I too am interested in this...
('cause I failed)

There are various sound cards that can decode DD 5.1 from an SPDIF input and pass the signal to the OS. I recall even Creative had one.

thanks for the info, digging in

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
thanks for the info, digging in
In case it helps…

OP
gac800

gac800

@ernestcarl I have a similar set up to @dualazmak for playing 2-channel music and tv. I like the idea of using the computer as the streaming source. I have no experience with jriver though. Are you saying that I can stream Netflix and Disney in it and it can decode the dolby signal and export all 6 channels into EKIO?

Top Bottom