• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

3e Audio SY-DAPx002 TPA3250/TPA3255 DSP Amplifier

Bushellj

I was one of the first to order this and it's been stuck in customs or that it's cleared customs since the 15th. Hope to see it soon, but not sure if I'm just unlucky or if all China imports are backed up.

Mine just arrived today (3rd July 2020 after 14 days in shipping to UK) and so far I am very impressed with the build quality and it sounds pretty good out of the box.

Really nice to have an integrated amplifier with no Power Supply Brick !!

Pictures below and also comparison to Aiyima A04 TPA3251 Amplifier. Its actually nice to have a bigger case than the typical Chinese Amplifiers that are so small !!

Attachments

• 4C96F339-B003-4F7A-91F6-530162612800.jpeg
    4C96F339-B003-4F7A-91F6-530162612800.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 681
  • B1F56954-3A74-4156-8BAB-E3EADDCB1779.jpeg
    B1F56954-3A74-4156-8BAB-E3EADDCB1779.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 712
  • C286EFD7-506B-405B-A079-6519D8A64498.jpeg
    C286EFD7-506B-405B-A079-6519D8A64498.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 840
  • 24563660-EFFC-420F-A407-B7BE2A286DA9.jpeg
    24563660-EFFC-420F-A407-B7BE2A286DA9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 951
  • F7FD7FE4-A382-4374-A2AF-3E7340E70EC1.jpeg
    F7FD7FE4-A382-4374-A2AF-3E7340E70EC1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 953
  • 28E9C3EC-1480-4FC6-8F1B-00BADB8BD2CF.jpeg
    28E9C3EC-1480-4FC6-8F1B-00BADB8BD2CF.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 857
  • 402F5FAC-11CD-4731-8FE9-42A656C318FC.jpeg
    402F5FAC-11CD-4731-8FE9-42A656C318FC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 903
  • CC4E367B-ADA7-4476-863B-8C6689AA3ABF.jpeg
    CC4E367B-ADA7-4476-863B-8C6689AA3ABF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 806
  • 4FB7664D-ED63-4FD2-B1A3-F0B669A35AA6.jpeg
    4FB7664D-ED63-4FD2-B1A3-F0B669A35AA6.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 763

Bushellj

Yeah, looks like a blatant QA issue. Probably makes the stereo very wide sounding :cool:

This is a digital amplifier. It uses two of the four channels for each side of the stereo output. So as long as the two sides are the same it doesn’t matter. Mine was shipped with exactly the same output wiring

cyberzigot

Mine just arrived today (3rd July 2020 after 14 days in shipping to UK) and so far I am very impressed with the build quality and it sounds pretty good out of the box.

Really nice to have an integrated amplifier with no Power Supply Brick !!

Pictures below and also comparison to Aiyima A04 TPA3251 Amplifier. Its actually nice to have a bigger case than the typical Chinese Amplifiers that are so small !!

@Bushellj waiting your review and comparison to the Aiyima A04

Toku

Major Contributor
This is a digital amplifier. It uses two of the four channels for each side of the stereo output. So as long as the two sides are the same it doesn’t matter. Mine was shipped with exactly the same output wiring
Please tell me because I also want to order this amplifier.

As the product description on the website, is the pop noise when the power is turned on/off eliminated?
Was the Shipping Method AliExpress Standard Shipping?

Bushellj

Please tell me because I also want to order this amplifier.

As the product description on the website, is the pop noise when the power is turned on/off eliminated?
Was the Shipping Method AliExpress Standard Shipping?

Hi Toku

There is no pop noise with this amplifier. I think 3e-Audio have got this sorted with all their products.

I believe it was shipped with AliExpress Standard Shipping which was les than 14 days door to door in the UK including customs payment which probably added three days delay !! Fastest shipping I have ever experienced from China !! Pity I got caught with the VAT sales tax and related post office charges in the UK.

if you want an integrated amplifier with Power Supply and Bluetooth I think this is probably the best option out there today.

James.

Last edited:

Bushellj

@Bushellj waiting your review and comparison to the Aiyima A04

Whereas the Aiyima A04 seemed to benefit greatly from upgrading the Op-Amps the 3e-Audio seems to be very good straight out of the box ! It is really difficult to do a straight A-B test as I have to replug all the components.

For the RCA input signals the sound quality is good but I have not had it long enough to really test it with some good quality sources. The problem with all these amplifiers is feeding them with a good source in the first instance !!

The Bluetooth on the other hand seems to be much better than my previous experiences and I don’t think I can hear any difference between the RCA inputs and a good Bluetooth source.

Everything on this amplifier goes through the on-board DAC and/or ADC converters so maybe a digital source actually has less processing ! I don’t think there is any need or benefit to play with Op-Amps. All the components are of good quality and selected for their audio performance.

I am beginning to think that the Op-Amps originally provided in the Aiyima products might not be original genuine parts as the difference when upgraded was really quite significant. I haven’t tried replacing with genuine NE5532 chips as I don’t have any, but according to lots of people these should also sound pretty good and there are other areas of the Aiyima products that probably make a bigger difference to the sound such as the Output filter and potentially signal capacitors.

The 3e-Audio All-in-One amplifier is not made for upgrading the physical components and I wouldn’t even try with this model. What it does provide is a fully integrated amplifier with some nice features - especially the Bluetooth implementation and the possibility for those who are a bit more technical to upload different EQ profiles for speaker or room correction.

I would be more interested to compare this to the Breeze Audio product which offers similar features ie, Bluetooth (but not so good spec) and an integrated power supply. The Breeze product is more expensive, has some potential safety issues and no DSP although it does offer tone controls !!

snip3r77

Hi Toku

There is no pop noise with this amplifier. I think 3e-Audio have got this sorted with all their products.

I believe it was shipped with AliExpress Standard Shipping which was les than 14 days door to door in the UK including customs payment which probably added three days delay !! Fastest shipping I have ever experienced from China !! Pity I got caught with the VAT sales tax and related post office charges in the UK.

if you want an integrated amplifier with Power Supply and Bluetooth I think this is probably the best option out there today.

James.

James,any chance any measurement can be done and most importantly how is the sound? Thanks.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Whereas the Aiyima A04 seemed to benefit greatly from upgrading the Op-Amps the 3e-Audio seems to be very good straight out of the box ! It is really difficult to do a straight A-B test as I have to replug all the components.

For the RCA input signals the sound quality is good but I have not had it long enough to really test it with some good quality sources. The problem with all these amplifiers is feeding them with a good source in the first instance !!

The Bluetooth on the other hand seems to be much better than my previous experiences and I don’t think I can hear any difference between the RCA inputs and a good Bluetooth source.

Everything on this amplifier goes through the on-board DAC and/or ADC converters so maybe a digital source actually has less processing ! I don’t think there is any need or benefit to play with Op-Amps. All the components are of good quality and selected for their audio performance.

I am beginning to think that the Op-Amps originally provided in the Aiyima products might not be original genuine parts as the difference when upgraded was really quite significant. I haven’t tried replacing with genuine NE5532 chips as I don’t have any, but according to lots of people these should also sound pretty good and there are other areas of the Aiyima products that probably make a bigger difference to the sound such as the Output filter and potentially signal capacitors.

The 3e-Audio All-in-One amplifier is not made for upgrading the physical components and I wouldn’t even try with this model. What it does provide is a fully integrated amplifier with some nice features - especially the Bluetooth implementation and the possibility for those who are a bit more technical to upload different EQ profiles for speaker or room correction.

I would be more interested to compare this to the Breeze Audio product which offers similar features ie, Bluetooth (but not so good spec) and an integrated power supply. The Breeze product is more expensive, has some potential safety issues and no DSP although it does offer tone controls !!
Ant hiss in the tweeters?
That is typical with FDA's.

Bushellj

Ant hiss in the tweeters?
That is typical with FDA's.

Hi Daft Combo.

It is absolutely silent at any position of the volume control.

Certainly quieter than the Aiyima Amplifiers (I have both A04 TPA3251 and A07 TPA3255 models) which both have some hiss although probably inaudible from where you Listen.

Bushellj

James, any chance any measurement can be done and most importantly how is the sound? Thanks.

Hi Snip.

I do not have any equipment to do any technical measurements - Only my ears !! I did write an initial report earlier in this thread.

I only have some fairly basic KEF UniQ Q15 Speakers so not at the audiophile end of the spectrum !! I have only had the amp a couple of days and still playing with the set up and preferred sources.

First, I can confirm the the Left and Right Channels are implemented to right way round unlike the Aiyima Amplifiers where they appear to be reversed !!

I mainly use an Apple Mac Mini 2014 as my music source either directly to RCA input, through an Airport Express to RCA input or now using the Bluetooth function of the 3e-Audio amplifier and I can now confirm that it does support the Apple "Lossless AAC" profile as well as aptX and normal pedestrian Bluetooth profiles.

The support of AAC was a nice surprise as it isn't discussed in any of the documentation and I thought I was going to be stuck with aptX as the best Bluetooth option. It would so nice if this amplifier had an optical input !!

I have also connected an Amazon Eco Dot through Bluetooth but I don't think the Eco Dot has any of the higher quality profiles so the sound is not as good as the Mac Mini as a source.

So in answer to your question - To my ears it sounds rather good.

Last edited:

Bushellj

For those of you waiting for the 3e-Audio TPA3255 based integrated amplifier they are expecting to release it in another two months.

Unless you need loads of power, the TPA3250 version is probably adequate for most domestic situations at about 50 Watts per channel for average speaker impedance.

Toku

Major Contributor
Is the volume control used on this amp a step attenuator or is it a general volume POT?

Bushellj

Is the volume control used on this amp a step attenuator or is it a general volume POT?

Hi Toku

I have exchanged messages with 3e-Audio on this but not asked this specific Question. They do follow this thread so maybe they could answer.

So the answer is neither !!!

What I do know, this is a standard Analogue Pot - I am now guessing - that is sensed by one of the inputs on the DSP or Main Processor and this is translated into volume by the DSP. I was very surprised that this wasn’t implemented as a Rotary Encoder as this would have been more flexible from a software point of view and potentially would have allowed a remote control for volume adjustment.

If you look at the block diagram published on the 3e-Audio website the “Volume Control” is clearly not in the signal path and is attached to both DSP and Main Processor

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi Toku

I have exchanged messages with 3e-Audio on this but not asked this specific Question. They do follow this thread so maybe they could answer.

So the answer is neither !!!

What I do know, this is a standard Analogue Pot - I am now guessing - that is sensed by one of the inputs on the DSP or Main Processor and this is translated into volume by the DSP. I was very surprised that this wasn’t implemented as a Rotary Encoder as this would have been more flexible from a software point of view and potentially would have allowed a remote control for volume adjustment.

If you look at the block diagram published on the 3e-Audio website the “Volume Control” is clearly not in the signal path and is attached to both DSP and Main Processor
Hi Bushellj,

Thank you for your polite commentary.
Looking at the block diagram, I wondered about volume POT.
I thought it would be difficult to turn on the 15 LEDs correctly at the knob's rotation position without using the step method.
The actual volume rotates smoothly without clicking, just like a general volume POT?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I'm surprised - the pins looks like the common arrangemnt for quadrature encoders with a momentary push switch rather than a pot, which would make for more versatile control. I take it you've measured resistance to determine it's a pot rather than an encoder without notches? An example of the latter is the smooth-spinning one on the Focusrite Forte.

Bushellj

Hi Bushellj,

Thank you for your polite commentary.
Looking at the block diagram, I wondered about volume POT.
I thought it would be difficult to turn on the 15 LEDs correctly at the knob's rotation position without using the step method.
The actual volume rotates smoothly without clicking, just like a general volume POT?

My feelings exactly !! The Pot turns smoothly just like a normal Volume Pot - No clicks. I assume it is a linear rather than Log Pot. The LEDs track the position of the Pot very accurately ! Why they included the line on the front of the knob, I don't know as it is unnecessary as the LEDs show the volume level !!

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The encoders without detents turn smoothly too, but they go all the way round which would be another giveaway. Does the pot have a push switch, or an LED, that would explain the extra pair of pins? The LEDs could be used to indicate another setting I suppose - it depends how much firmware access you end up with. The DSP does have analog inputs intended for reading control positions from pots - I think that's what they do on their other DSP board. Analog input to the STM32 is another option.

Bushellj

I'm surprised - the pins looks like the common arrangemnt for quadrature encoders with a momentary push switch rather than a pot, which would make for more versatile control. I take it you've measured resistance to determine it's a pot rather than an encoder without notches? An example of the latter is the smooth-spinning one on the Focusrite Forte.

Hi Somebodyelse.

My initial guess before I received the amplifier was that this would be Rotary Encoder as this would make for a much more versatile solution as you rightly say. I have not measured the pot but I have a message from 3e-Audio confirming it is a traditional Pot with a push switch as this excludes the possibility of adding a remote control for the Volume which is a great shame as the rest of the design seems ready for such an option.

I would love to know what spare inputs are still available on the DSP chip as it would be really nice to include an optical input given that most of the hardware is already present !? This would then bypass the initial A to D conversation.

Clearly the DSP chip can be reprogrammed through the USBi interface with the right interface board. I would also like to know if the Main Processor code can be updated ?!

I can imagine a "plus" version of this amplifier with options such as Remote Volume (and input) Control, Optical IN and USB IN. This would require the Volume "Pot" to be upgraded to a Rotary Encoder.

OP
N

nodigital

As a reference for UK buyers be aware of the total cost of purchase:
  • SY-DAP1002 - £66.33
  • Delivery - £7.51
  • VAT incurred due to customs declared value - £3.19
  • Royal Mail handling fee - £8.00 (ouch)
1594364861079.png

So its shipped with unfortunately a $20 USD declaration - This is just over the £15 free limit, but better than paying the 14.70 actual VAT that should be charged...

I've prepped a CY7C68013A USBi board and now awaiting arrival of the amp and example SigmaStudio project file (Available hopefully by end of the week on the 3e Audio site)
1594319836170.png

Last edited:

Bushellj

As a reference for UK buyers be aware of the total cost of purchase:
  • SY-DAP1002 - £66.33
  • Delivery - £7.51
  • VAT incurred due to customs declared value - £3.19
  • Royal Mail handling fee - £8.00 (ouch)
So it properly shipped, with none of that "$15USD commercial sample" vat dodging declaration...

I've prepped a CY7C68013A USBi board and now awaiting arrival of the amp and example SigmaStudio project file (Available hopefully by end of the week on the 3e Audio site)
View attachment 72569

Yes - I also got caught by the dreaded VAT and ridiculous Royal Mail Handling Fee of £8.

3e-Audio will also be providing a USBi interface board on their price list in the next few (3?) weeks - No pricing supplied as yet.

The programming information for the DSP is due any day now.

Where did you purchase the USBi interface and at what price ?

Top Bottom