• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$300 DAC with reliable power down / power up behavior

nomograf

Hi All,

I'm looking for a DAC only (no headphone amp) with balanced outputs and great performance, budget around $300 USD with one important criteria.

The DAC is being used in a complex pro audio situation where occasional (accidental) power downs are a possibility. I need the DAC to reliably power back up and return to the same input selection and output volume.

I'm a Topping D90SE user in my Mastering studio and have another Topping at home so that's my first choice as a brand.

Can anyone advise on DACs with the power up behavior I described?

Cheers,
Ruairi

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any RME will do that.
And they also all work perfectly from a Powerbank.

I use the ADI-2 Pro fs (R), the UCX II, the ADI-2/4 Pro SE and even the 12Mic-D (not a DAC) from a USB-C Power Delivery powerbank with a USB-C PD 12V voltage converter cable and it's working perfectly.
A 20000 mAh powerbank should be able to feed them as unique power source for at least 3h, probably more. (I didn't check).

None of those fit your budget, though.

Other than that, any 5V DC DAC could also be fed through a powerbank.

Last edited:
OP
N

nomograf

Thanks for the info, I don't think I was clear in my question.

The DAC will run on the mains, I don't want to run from battery or from a UPS for complicated reasons. It's part of a very very compressive 9.1.4 Atmos rig and this DAC in particular is serving in an unusual role.

The key point is that if there's a power cut and the DAC doesn't not reset to the previous settings or a useful default it may not be noticed right away but would cause issues.

(I've been a full time audio professional for 28 years and am quite technical).

OP
N

nomograf

Also, the goal is not to spend more that $300 so ADI-2 etc are out of budget (though I have used in many projects and like them a lot).

Cheers,
Ruairi

dzerig

Schiit Modius is has inputs for AES, rca coax, optical and usb C, balanced xlr and unbalanced rca outputs, and can be powered by USB c from the source if provided (using the same cable as the bits), a battery via usb c or a cheap 1a, 5v usb c outputting plug. $229 in black, $249 silver.

amir review

OP
N

nomograf

Schiit Modius is has inputs for AES, rca coax, optical and usb C, balanced xlr and unbalanced rca outputs, and can be powered by USB c from the source if provided (using the same cable as the bits), a battery via usb c or a cheap 1a, 5v usb c outputting plug. $229 in black, $249 silver.

amir review

Thanks dzerig!

I'm not formulating the question properly.

I definitely want to mains power the unit.

The crucial requirement is that if mains is interrupted that when it comes back online that the unit will return to the settings it had before power down. It is being hidden in a rack an does it does not come back to the same settings it could go unnoticed until it causes an issue.

Cheers,
Ruairi

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How about an uninterruptible power supply?

b7676

Great, Topping is my Preference depending on power down/up behavior.

Thanks!
You want one of their preamps for profile remembering and volume control. A90D, L70, A70.
Keep the dac in dac mode.
You'd need to use the 12v trigger to get the preamps going automatically on powerup.

Last edited:
OP
N

nomograf

You want one of their preamps for profile remembering and volume control. A90D, L70, A70.
Keep the dac in dac mode.
You'd need to use the 12v trigger to get the preamps going automatically on powerup.

Good info thanks. The actual level will be set from the upstream digital source, so it just need to default power up with no attenuation.

dzerig

Thanks dzerig!

I'm not formulating the question properly.

I definitely want to mains power the unit.

The crucial requirement is that if mains is interrupted that when it comes back online that the unit will return to the settings it had before power down. It is being hidden in a rack an does it does not come back to the same settings it could go unnoticed until it causes an issue.

Cheers,
Ruairi
Then you can use a typical 1a/5v plug to power it from your a/c, and it will return to the same input it went off with. At least, my Modius version 1 does this, as do my other Schiit dacs.

AudioAaron

My Topping D30Pro has no issues starting back up when power has gone out.

I got mine from Apos for $300, but that appears not in stock there for $300, currently.

PyramidElectric

SMSL DO100 is very solid in this regard, had mine nearly 18 months and it's never forgotten input/volume setting depite occasional power cuts etc.

Last edited:

dumpingg

SMSL DO100 is very solid in this regard, had mine nearly 18 months and it's never forgotten input/volume setting depite occasional power cuts etc.
2nd this. I use my SMSL DO100 DAC for an active crossover speaker setup. The DAC is providing volume level control and is directly connected to power amps without volume controls of their own driving my magnepan speakers. Lots of power on and off some intentional some not and the SMSL DO100 has always returned to input/output and volume level settings i have set.

Top Bottom