• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

1 bit DAC launched by TOPPING

Blockader

But Is it still the case in PRO sabre series? According to manufacturer it is not:

I believe the problem is solved. I would like to see 3rd party results with the method Bruno Putzeys described too though.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
So what other reason could it be?
Reserving it for the bigger models?

They do stare that D900 is DSP'd on all outputs.
We can only speculate, ask, or maybe work it out when someone does a teardown. IIRC (it's been a while since I looked at the schematics - I may have mis-remembered) Khadas bypassed the XMOS in the Tone Board and routed the spdif from the coax connector and the pin header via some logic switches to the ESS DAC chip's spdif input pin. I don't know why they did it that way, but it may just have been simpler for firmware development, and they weren't doing anything like DSP in the XMOS. They did expose some other pins as I2S though, for an 8 channel expansion that never happened, and would have required new firmware to use them. IIRC a later firmware update used some of the pins for hardware volume buttons. Things like the MiniDSP MCHstreamer show the XMOS with other digital formats.

piaseczek

I believe the problem is solved. I would like to see 3rd party results with the method Bruno Putzeys described too though.

Probably you're right, tambaqui was designed in 2013, before introduction of sabre PRO series:

Sokel

Master Contributor
We can only speculate, ask, or maybe work it out when someone does a teardown. IIRC (it's been a while since I looked at the schematics - I may have mis-remembered) Khadas bypassed the XMOS in the Tone Board and routed the spdif from the coax connector and the pin header via some logic switches to the ESS DAC chip's spdif input pin. I don't know why they did it that way, but it may just have been simpler for firmware development, and they weren't doing anything like DSP in the XMOS. They did expose some other pins as I2S though, for an 8 channel expansion that never happened, and would have required new firmware to use them. IIRC a later firmware update used some of the pins for hardware volume buttons. Things like the MiniDSP MCHstreamer show the XMOS with other digital formats.
I know Tone 1 well,I use it with Ian's ESS controller which exposes all it's functions.
Still a bad PCM but half-decent DSD dac.

Controlling internal VC shows all the weaknesses playing PCM.

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So what other reason could it be?
Reserving it for the bigger models?

They do stare that D90 III is DSP'd on all inputs.

WE probably won't know till it releases.

The FCC certification documents we have access to could just be a very rough first draft. I don't think the FCC cares about what you are doing in software, or what you might do later on via a software update, just the emissions from the physical hardware.

I think the questions that need to be answered are somehting like this?
  • is it full on PEQ?
  • where is the PEQ running, and how do you control it.
  • where are profiles stored, and how many does it support?
  • what inputs and ouputs does the PEQ support?

with what we know right now (mainly from the manual), the only way I could see it supporting PEQ internally would be with a firmware update.

boxerfan88

So this PEQ is done on the XMOS XU316 chip?
Or another DSP chip inside?

Human Bass

Im really interested in the A50-3.

I love the form factor of the A50s, super small with 4.4mm. Now that it will be fully balanced, it will be easily the best size-benefit amp in the market.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
.. and it might seem weird to us but the internal chinese hifi market is apparently fast moving and require new stuff all the time to stay ahead .
Different from the typical ASR reader who migth not change their DAC until the old one is broken or a new feature is required , knowing that anything bougth the last decade is transparent :)

But Topping know their market and release new products in the required pace to apear relevant . The killer feature is the promised EQ feature :) then its not just shuffling the deck chairs

DLS79

Forum Donor
It's worth noting Topping has produced a devise with internal EQ before. The M50 looks to have 10 ban fixed eq, with 9 presets, but it looks like only 1 is customizable.

The M50 remote looks identical to the D50 III, except the M50 has a EQ button and on the D50 III that button says filter. The front panel interface is also ver similar.

I can't find any info on what IC's the M50 is using though!

Perhaps some M50 owners can chime in on how they set up eq.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
If the translation is correct ,PEQ will only affect USB and will possibly run on an app on the computer's/phone's side,like the interfaces do.
That would be most unfortunate.

Sokel

Master Contributor
In the fear of spreading BS,that's the picture and the text I got for it,people with better English than mine (just about everyone :cool: ) can maybe interpret it another way:

17:01
<
The 2.4G Bluetooth remote control is not afraid of obstacles. Free remote control from a distance, more flexible use.
5G
Ten-segment high-precision PEQ adjustment
The newly developed PEQ adjustment function supports ten customizable frequency points for adjustment. Through the adjustment algorithm and desktop software independently developed by Tuopin, the frequency point, gain, and bandwidth of the EQ can be finely adjusted. The software supports the import of target curves and original curves and the use of target curves to compensate curves. Multiple configuration files can be saved for easy switching.
*The PEQ function supports up to 192kHz/32b sampling rate. This port is only supported for USB input.
baby
12V Trigger linkage switch
evaluate
Details
D50 III is equipped with a 12V Trigger output trigger interface, which supports active triggering of other devices and can now be linked and synchronously switched on and off.
recommend
add to the cart
Buy it now
shop
customer service
collect

1710182212644.jpeg text.PNG

DLS79

Forum Donor
In the fear of spreading BS,that's the picture and the text I got for it,people with better English than mine (just about everyone :cool: ) can maybe interpret it another way:

I got the same translation as you, but to be fair that doesn't mean the original version was correct to start with.

I'm a systems engineer (glorified software developer) by trade, and on numerous occasions I've seen something I wrote loose all meaning/context after it passes through marketing, sales, & graphic design! :facepalm:

bogi

The best accurate DSP you can reach in computer environment at 64bit or 80 bit floating point resolution with processing result converted to the desired target fixed point resolution. Resource constrained few dollars costing hardware chips will never do it on that level - they miss both computational power and resolution of our computers. For me the quality of DSP operation is much more important than the place where it is actually running.

From my point of view PEQ in DAC is pointless, but I understand it may be attractive for people who don't use computer with desktop DACs.

Bleib

Major Contributor
1710187283906.jpeg

1710187297803.jpeg

Posted by shenzhenaudio on FB:
"We'll experience an optimized combo from TOPPING, the exquisite D50 III and A50 III! What's improved compared to the previous version? Let's stay tuned!"

Last edited:

DLS79

Forum Donor
From my point of view PEQ in DAC is pointless, but I understand it may be attractive for people who don't use computer with desktop DACs.

Some people might have more things than a computer connected to their DAC. For example the D50 III just like its predecessor will have 4 inputs.

1. USB - computers
  2. OPTICAL - smart tvs, some computers (so you can connect more than one computer)
  3. Coax - cables boxes, DVD & Blu-ray players, gaming consoles
  4. BT - phones tablets and other BT enable devises

Top Bottom