• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TANCHJIM Space Portable Headphone Adapter Review

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 246 86.0%

• Total voters

Zebulon78

Hello everyone,
I bought the TANCHJIM SPACE few weeks ago, using it both connected to my PC and on my Samsung S20 phone through the provided cable.
Working fine and nice sound!

Reading that thread since it started, I wanted to explore using the android app on some of the config options.
Note that I am using the unbalanced connection to my Focal headphone (if it matters for the below)
I downloaded the latest version today using from Tanchjim website using V2.1.2 of the android app.
Connecting the SPACE, it is properly detected and I can select it to go into the detailed info.
However, I am not able to change any of setting, everytime I change one from the interface, the selection will revert automatically to the original one half a second after!
I also noted that the volume indicator itself is not moving and set to 100%.
Anyone gone through this and was able to do anything to have it worked ?

An additional point, I don't know how I did it and can't revert nor know what it means, when I got the device as many mention here, at connection the led lights red for 1/2 s but now mine is lighting blue instead for 1/2s anyone knowing what it means and how this can be changed ?

Surely not having much feedback from the device itself on any of your actions, complexifies a bit :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone,
I bought the TANCHJIM SPACE few weeks ago, using it both connected to my PC and on my Samsung S20 phone through the provided cable.
Working fine and nice sound!

Reading that thread since it started, I wanted to explore using the android app on some of the config options.
Note that I am using the unbalanced connection to my Focal headphone (if it matters for the below)
I downloaded the latest version today using from Tanchjim website using V2.1.2 of the android app.
Connecting the SPACE, it is properly detected and I can select it to go into the detailed info.
However, I am not able to change any of setting, everytime I change one from the interface, the selection will revert automatically to the original one half a second after!
I also noted that the volume indicator itself is not moving and set to 100%.
Anyone gone through this and was able to do anything to have it worked ?

An additional point, I don't know how I did it and can't revert nor know what it means, when I got the device as many mention here, at connection the led lights red for 1/2 s but now mine is lighting blue instead for 1/2s anyone knowing what it means and how this can be changed ?

Surely not having much feedback from the device itself on any of your actions, complexifies a bit :)
I have the same issues with the app. No settings seem to apply. Don't know about the led I'm afraid.

MrSoul4470

No matter what version of their horrible app I download and install the app info always says it is version 2.0.7. Really that app should not even be called a beta version and for sure should not be released to the public. Maybe the worst piece of software I have ever seen.

s9_0d1n

Thanks for the heads-up, I don't see a reason to install an app for it so given the feedback I'll just abstain from doing it for the foreseable future.
I didn't find the app in the google store either, so I'm not just going to manually install whatever app in my phone without it being vetted by some formal approval process.
Especially not for getting to play with a light :)

Zebulon78

No matter what version of their horrible app I download and install the app info always says it is version 2.0.7. Really that app should not even be called a beta version and for sure should not be released to the public. Maybe the worst piece of software I have ever seen.
@MrSoul4470: I downloaded from there earlier today
using the QR code to access from my phone, it downloads the apk and you can install if you give the rights for untrusted apps to install.
The 2.1.2 now detects auto your language and shift to English, as the previous you had to set it each time through the top left menu then worldmap icon.
I did remove manually the previous version so that may be your issue if upgrade is not managed yet.

MrSoul4470

Thanks for the link! Even though it says you're going to download version 2.0.5 you get 2.1.2. Auto detecting language didn't work for me, probably because my phone's language is German and they consider Chinese to be more universal than English. I have to play a bit with it to see if there are any improvements.

multiformous

I wasn't able to update from within the app itself, but the download for 2.1.2 installed properly. It shows the correct version number and the settings are in English and working correctly.

Gary chan

This is a review, listening test and detailed measurements of the TANCHJIM Space portable DAC and balanced headphone adapter. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $90.
View attachment 297498
I like the transparent window so that you can see the insides. There is an LED that lights up there when you reach the maximum volume control using the toggle buttons on the side. Speaking of those, they are some of the nicest ones I have used with very nice feel and action. You have the option of using 3.5 and 4.5mm headphone plugs. A neat, dual cable USB-C cable is provided as you see in the picture.

TANCHJIM Space Measurements
As is typical for this class of devices, the software I use to communicate with them doesn't work well so I can't run all the tests. But let's start with the dashboard that I can run:
View attachment 297501
Are you seeing what I am seeing? A portable dongle producing distortion below -130 dB??? Incredible. Going balanced, the output doubles to 4 volts but it would clip so I measured it one notch lower:
View attachment 297502

In another measurement I saw, it hadn't clipped so SINAD was improved. I will have to follow up with the company and understand what is going on. Using what we have puts the Space in entirely different class than other dongles, easily matching many desktop DACs:
View attachment 297503

View attachment 297504
Noise performance is superb regardless of class!
View attachment 297505

As is multitone:
View attachment 297506

There is tiny bit of jitter but otherwise, the response is again desktop class than any dongle:
View attachment 297507

The compatibility issue I have with testing causes the noise floor of these sweeps to be about 15 dB higher than they really are. So let's use them for computing max power:

View attachment 297508

View attachment 297509

These are very healthy numbers for a dongle. In case you have different impedance headphone, here is the sweep for that:
View attachment 297510

As seen, it gets unhappy around 12 ohm but higher than that works well. Even with 12 ohm, as long as you use an IEM or sensitive headphone, you should be fine.

TANCHJIM Space Listening Test
There just enough power to drive my power hungry Dan Clark Stealth headphone. It could do better but the last two notches on the volume control caused audible distortion. Switching to Sennheiser HD650, the Space had much easier time driving it and produced superb fidelity as long as you stayed away from the last two notches. In that regard, I think the output level was a bit lower than competing dongles that produce clean 4 volts of output.

Conclusions
First a confession: when the company reached out to me a few months ago, I had not heard of them and thought this would be a very low performing device. So I responded that I don't think it would do well. They assured me that it would and showed me measurements that were just hard to believe. They sent me a sample which unfortunately got lost. What you see here is the second sample. As you see, performance is just stunning. Use of dual DACs and excellent engineering has translated into a top of the line desktop class DAC but in a container that is the size of an America quarter! Functionality is excellent with nice tactile volume controls. And the thing manages to look attractive to boot! Other than finding out why it won't produce 4 volts, it is the most perfect headphone adapter I have tested!

It is my pleasure to recommend the TANCHJIM Space dac and headphone amplifier. I will be using it as my everyday adapter for my phone from here on!

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
I already have Space. I really agree with your assessment.
I bought it last month for $89.99. Now the price is lower.
The merchant replied that there was a promotion now.
Here is the purchase link:https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805315289237.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

RangerAudio

Are these still really available? I only found a page by searching directly and it says its a "pre order product"
It looks to be available on Hifigo.

Definitely on my radar. Looks great and is priced competitively.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@amirm Linearity graph missing :(
Here you go:
1661027331-Linearity-20.jpeg
(source)

"NBWL" is the one that's comparable to Amir's graphs.

Sound86

The Moondrop Dawn Pro looks a lot like it. Same unit, different exterior?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-19 at 03-28-31 Audiophonics - MOONDROP DAWN PRO Portable Balanced Headphone...png
    Screenshot 2023-09-19 at 03-28-31 Audiophonics - MOONDROP DAWN PRO Portable Balanced Headphone...png
    415.1 KB · Views: 112

Blorg

The Moondrop Dawn Pro looks a lot like it. Same unit, different exterior?
Subjectively, it sounds fine. Most of these dual CS43131 devices seem to measure pretty identically. CS43131 is a combination DAC+headphone amp on one chip so there seems little room to get it wrong. I got it for $32 in the last major sale, will likely be that or less in 11.11. Dawn Pro you need to use the app to change the gain, you can't hold both buttons, which is a negative. It does have independent volume control, so you can use exclusive mode or set volume to 100% without risking blasting your ears.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I bought the Tanchjim Space Lite and the signal constantly disconnects on my Pixel 6. Anyone else have USB connection issues with these?

So I bought the Tanchjim Space Lite and the signal constantly disconnects on my Pixel 6. Anyone else have USB connection issues with these?
Works fine on my Pixel 7 Pro but I have the Space non-lite version.

Sound86

I had a similar issue with another DAC under Android. The problem was OS based, because Android cut the power to apps in the background. See if you can find the option to always power your music app.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a similar issue with another DAC under Android. The problem was OS based, because Android cut the power to apps in the background. See if you can find the option to always power your music app.
A search in settings for battery optimisation would likely work. Or go into the actual app settings and permissions and disable BO.

I took the poster's comment to mean the signal constantly, repeatedly and quickly dropped which doesn't sound like a BO issue but it's worth a try.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it is a usb port issue as movement cuts it off.

MahiwagangKamote

Hello,
I just found this thread while researching on how to keep my settings on the SPACE. I ordered from an online shopping app here in the Philippines. I was accidentally sent the SPACE instead of the SPACE LITE, so i got the SPACE for about 30.00USD.

I posted here to share how i got my SPACE updated to the Firmware that functions well with the 2.1.2 Android app.
I only have an Android phone so i am not sure how it would work for an IOS/Apple Phone.
I Edited the instructions to English and added some steps not indicated in the procedure, I hope this helps.
The LED is Colored Purple when in Low/2.0V Gain and is Amber in High/4.0V.

1696600877673.png

1696600915965.png

Low/2.0V Gain
20231006_220223.jpg

High/4.0V Gain
20231006_220228.jpg

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom