• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TANCHJIM Space Portable Headphone Adapter Review

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 36 12.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 248 85.8%

• Total voters

SNRenjoyer

So I've been looking into the CS43131 spec sheet and found some interesting stuff:
From the sheet on page 20 you can see the different filter+sample rate combinations. On the Octuple-Speed Mode (352.8- and 384-kHz sample rates) there are no different filters listed, while on the other modes (Single-, Double- and Quad-Speed) there are different filters listed.
Further if you go down to page 149 they show a plot of the frequency and impulse responses of the Octuple-Speed Mode:
Screenshot_20240521_193532.png
Which looks like its a minimum and not a linear Phase response. I doubt that the Tanchjim really offers all three filter modes in the Octuple-Speed Mode. Because of this I'm running it now on 192kHz, which according to the spec sheet seems to work with linear phase (page 148) Filter F3:
Screenshot_20240521_194535.png
Maybe I'm overly tinfoil hat on this, but if the spec sheet doesn't explicitly list 384kHz with Filter F3 (Fast roll off, linear phase), then I'm not gonna assume that it is there. I'll stick with 192kHz and Filter F3.

VientoB

I have one of these and it sounds great but can anyone explain the balanced output to me? In what way is it balanced? And how would I attach headphones to it? My headphones are Sennheisser HD565 Ovation which I believe were one step below the HD600 back in the late 1990s.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I have one of these and it sounds great but can anyone explain the balanced output to me? In what way is it balanced?
It's a differential output with four distinct signals (two Amps per channel).

And how would I attach headphones to it?
Using an appropriate cable.
Keep in mind that only some headphones support differential Amps.

My headphones are Sennheisser HD565 Ovation
From what I can tell, the HD565 Ovation uses the same ear cup connector as the HD600 and HD650.

Therefore, you can simply search for a 4.4mm HD650 cable on Amazon, eBay, AliExpress, etc.

SloPoke

Forum Donor
I have one of these and it sounds great but can anyone explain the balanced output to me? In what way is it balanced? And how would I attach headphones to it? My headphones are Sennheisser HD565 Ovation which I believe were one step below the HD600 back in the late 1990s.
Balanced (need swap to balanced cable too) will give same sound quality but more power available

staticV3

Master Contributor
is there actually any difference with the cables apart from the connector?
Depends.
Many stock 3.5/6.35mm cables use 4-conductor wiring, which can be modified to balanced by just swapping the headphone plug at the end.

However, some headphones use a 3-conductor cable, which is incompatible with differential Amps. You'd have to replace the entire cable.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got one.
For some reason, I can't get it to work in more than 16 bits...
I downloaded ASIO driver, but that doesn't seem to work...
Will try again.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried from PC, than from Android smartphone : I can't get better than this SINAD.

(Sine 1khZ 44.1kHz 0dBFS 24 bits using USB Audio Pro v7.0.2.8 from Samsung S23 Ultra)
NB: This should give exactly the same figure than the Audio Precision software)

Tanchjim Space SINAD Unbalanced 44.1kHz 1kHz 0dBFS_crop.png

staticV3

Master Contributor
It's WORSE after FW upgrade !

Now I only have 1V left !
That's worse than the Apple Dongle !

View attachment 372446
IIRC, the Space has Low and High gain which you can switch with either the App, or the volume rocker.

Edit: see here

Top Bottom