Search results

1. Cahudson42

Saturday Live Headphone Stream with Andrew/Resolve..

Every Saturday at 2 :00 pm EDT (18:00GMT) on YouTube, Andrew/Resolve does a casual 2hr Headphone oriented live stream . Andrew is not like most other unwatchable youtube reviewers (Z--- comes to mind). He is intelligent, thoughtful, and quite knowledgeable. It can seem a bit slow, but if you...
  2. Cahudson42

Not used to ANC headphones - and a caregiver? Caution!

Just got pair of N90Q. Work great. Too great. ANC so effective wife's calls for assistance (not life threatening - just she is bed ridden) unheard. Now using Echo 'drop in' where I can visually see when it's going off.
  3. Cahudson42

Anyone else thought that Not using Gold for Planar conductive grids is inexcusable?

The most malleable, conductive, non-reactive metal on earth. When rolled thin enough, disposable on wrapping paper. Why isn't it used universally on $100 Planars and up?
  4. Cahudson42

An alternate way of Headphone evaluation..Pinewood Derby-type double -elimination

Amir's HP objective measurements are really easy to understand.. But how these measurements correlate with actual listening enjoyment is an endless debate. Subjective evaluations, imo, are much worse. I think a good case can be made that they are essentially meaningless . What does any...
  5. Cahudson42

The Citroen Hydropneumatic Suspension - of Headphones. The $299 N90Q

If you are one who thinks the Citroen Hydropneumatic Suspension was an elegant, system solution to the suspension problem - and are looking for your next Headphone - the N90Q 'is it' . Take a look. But, say your opinion is: 'Those crazy French! Complicate things to no end! All you need is four...
  6. Cahudson42

Making sense of HiFiman headphone plethora - a framework for evaluation and comparison?

HE400i, HE4xx, Sundara, Ananda, HE1000se, Deva, HE5Xx - on and on - maybe not you, but they sure confused me. How are they different and/or similar - or dissimilar? How do I compare and evaluate expectations for my current HE400i, and new Drop HE5XX and others vs. price? Found this 'tree'...
  7. Cahudson42

What headphones would you like Amir to measure next?

I don't think we have this thread yet. Please delete if we do.. Drop HiFiman HE5XX https://drop.com/buy/drop-hifiman-he5xx
  8. Cahudson42

Lightbulb hits? 'Optimal' reconstruction filter likely depends on age?

Recently got a Qudelix 5k. First device lets me pick reconstruction filter. Not to rehash previous thousands of posts, I can't hear anything above 9k - 10k or so..why should I be worried about hf artifacts, hf roll off, of a slow filter? Why not just go with minimum phase slow rolloff, and...
  9. Cahudson42

Neutralizer EQ - Opinions on Headphone EQ suitability and results..

I find the concept intriguing..put 'everything inside the loop ' including your ears.. then EQ it. Question is (for me at least) what am I ending up with? A 'personalized Harmon curve' based on my own hearing? An equivalent to 'flat' done otherwise? Or? For those not familiar, after you install...
  10. Cahudson42

May Occam's Razor Apply? Can we learn as much from a $199 EARS as from a $41,000 HATS?

Or 90% as much? 50% as much? Nothing similar at all? Or? I look at these things and see two microphones mounted 180-degrees facing outward surrounded by a frame of 'somewhat squooshy stuff' for placing the headphones. Then add maybe $300 - $700 in hardware. A bunch of processing software. With...
  11. Cahudson42

RS152 Experiences, Comments?

Not yet measured by ASR, the Infinity RS152 'surround' speakers are on sale at $160/pair. The design has two front facing angled mid-tweeters which appear the same as those in the rest of the Infinity line, and one rear facing 5.25 'woofer' facing rearward apparently in its own sealed box...
  12. Cahudson42

Just how good is the Dayton DSP-408 compared to miniDSp 2x4 HD?

Number of channels aside, anyone please comment on performance comparison? (DAC capabilities also aside - don't need 'em) Application is speakers for Home Theater, not HP. Still, how is SINAD? Any hiss? I hate hiss:) Will be used to replace 'crossover's in a pair of Dayton 652AIR, as well as...
  13. Cahudson42

HE400i - to PEQ or not to PEQ..

I do all my serious listening - classical and vocal - using Amazon Music HD, a LG V20, Liquid Spark, and HE400i. I am very happy with it. But for one issue.. the HE400i resonant peak at 7-8k. When playing, say a wide dynamic range recording like the Kleiber Beethoven 7th, very occasionally, I...
  14. Cahudson42

Good Eats is back!

Since this is a science rules site, I will guess at least a few members enjoyed Alton Brown's 'Good Eats' years ago. Well, it's back! Two new series. 'Good Eats - the Return' and 'Good Eats - Reloaded'. Both are great! You will probably need the FoodTV GO app to watch them. Which requires a...
  15. Cahudson42

Older Kenwood AVRs- KA-894 and similar. Experience? Opinions?

Recent threads have covered AX-596 etc Yamaha etc. I've noticed that similar vintage Kenwood's can also be picked up for peanuts. Are any of them any good - mainly just as power Amplifier's? For example, the KA-894 has a pair of 'adapter' jumpers. It seems removing them and using it's 'input'...
  16. Cahudson42

For you MDs out there - Headphone triggering of BPPV event.. Possible? Likely?

At 77, I have had a couple BPPV events. (Benign P? Positional Vertigo) . What is the likelihood these could be triggered by moderate SPL headphone listening? Loud SPL listening? Thanks for your opinions!
  17. Cahudson42

Planar Magnetic Headphones - MM vs. MC?

Just curious.. We have both Moving Magnet and Moving Coil phono cartridges. But as far as I know, all planar magnetic phones I've looked at are always 'moving coil' i.e. a powered moving coil film against fixed magnets. Am I correct? Why not a magnetic vapor-deposited film moving against Fixed...
  18. Cahudson42

Topping D10 continually clicks and disconnects (SOLVED)

Topping D10 connected to Fire 7 via powered OTG cable, downstream to Monoprice Liquid Spark. OTG cable powered with various Amazon USB ps.. D10 erratically disconnects, clicks, shows 3 dashes, 384.. Wiggle and disconnect cables, resets correctly to 16/44.1. For a few minutes. Cycle repeats...
  19. Cahudson42

Internal cellphone/tablet DAC vs. external...still very confused..

Read everything I could find - still confused. Let's go with an example: the 2019 Fire 7" tablet - $30 on sale. Measure the 3.5mm output @ 60hz. 33 ohm load. Anemic. 0.16 v at full volume. Ok. No problem adding something like the NX 3 with my HE 400i. But should I go with a simple amp like the...
Top Bottom