• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Making sense of HiFiman headphone plethora - a framework for evaluation and comparison?

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
HE400i, HE4xx, Sundara, Ananda, HE1000se, Deva, HE5Xx - on and on - maybe not you, but they sure confused me. How are they different and/or similar - or dissimilar? How do I compare and evaluate expectations for my current HE400i, and new Drop HE5XX and others vs. price?

Found this 'tree'...
https://hifiman.com/evo-fhp/tree.html

Made no sense at all. (To me, anyway) Then, finally, an old version where the branches were labelled: 'Symmetric double sided magnets' on the rightmost branch, ' Asymmetric double sided' on the center, and 'Single sided' on the left branch. Finally. Some sense to the tree.

So - when evaluating and comparing - it makes sense (to me anyway) to first compare within branches - then between.

For example, rather than compare the Deva / HE5XX to the HE400i or Sundara, they should first perhaps he compared to the Ananda and even the HE1000se. Similarly, the first comparison between the HE400i and Sundara might make sense. Then, after selecting your preferred within a branch, compare between branches.

Light maybe dawned late for me, and perhaps this has been totally clear to other members. But if not..

For me, I now have some inkling of what I am hearing with my new HE5XX vs. my (still very pleasing )HE400i. The HE5XX is the first HP for me where I don't want to take it off.

Even with no EQ, and a simple string of Amazon Music, LG V20 Quad DAC, and Liquid Spark (low gain even) - I'm not wanting to stop listening.

Perhaps there is a good reason why Drop is blowing out the HE4XX at $120 - as at $180, I personally would never get it over the $220 HE5XX.

And while the Deva/ HE5XX may not exactly be 'hidden gems' - they just might be 'great value' compared to the Ananda and HE1000se.

Your own comments and evaluations - both within branches and across - encouraged and appreciated!

Last edited:

o7_brother

Have you looked up their frequency response graphs? If not, here you go: https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets

Having heard a few of these models, I think you'll find they have a "house sound" so to speak. Slight sub-bass roll off, linear upper bass and mids, depression at 2kHz, Harman-ish levels of treble, but fairly wobbly.

Which one you prefer will be largely just that: a preference.

SpinifexV

Well, don't forget the He-6SE V2 and the He-560 V4 that were just released as Adorama exclusives!

Yeah, they are hard to follow: they seem to have 3 headband and 3-4 drivers, and each match makes a new headphone!

OP
Cahudson42

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Have you looked up their frequency response graphs?

Yep. A bit. Took out the 7k HE400i peak which I did find annoying, with PEQ. And while FR may be of most importance, distortion and impulse response may play a factor as well - and 'could' be related to structure..

LearningToSmile

Have you looked up their frequency response graphs? If not, here you go: https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets

Having heard a few of these models, I think you'll find they have a "house sound" so to speak. Slight sub-bass roll off, linear upper bass and mids, depression at 2kHz, Harman-ish levels of treble, but fairly wobbly.

Which one you prefer will be largely just that: a preference.
From what I've spoken with people which is kinda supported by the graphs that seems to be noticeable difference in the low end extension/slam - most of the cheaper models roll off as you say, but some of them(I think the ones with double-sided magnets? correct me if I'm wrong) are ruler flat all the way down(even though the treble looks messy). Always wanted to try one of those.

Top Bottom