Search results

1. Thomas_A

So called engine fuel additives - are all snake oil (or not)?

Yes, that is the question. Injector cleaners, engine cleaners from STP and similar brands. Snake oil all of them?
  2. Thomas_A

Scratched records fix?

These are my findings. - Severely scratched records goes to the bin. - Minor scratched records gets "fixed" by using real-time click-repair But what about other possible "fixes" (found on the internet): - Using toothpick or cactus spines and microscope to even out the scratch - these are too...
  3. Thomas_A

HumminGuru Ultrasonic vinyl cleaner mini review

This is a mini review of the HumminGuru ultrasonic cleaner for vinyl records. The following procedure was used for cleaning. 5 minutes of ultrasonic using alkaline water (≈pH 10) followed by 2 minutes ultrasonic in demineralised water and 5 minutes of drying cycle. Both solutions contained 2...
  4. Thomas_A

Muffsy phono preamplifier minireview (update)

This review was updated September 21, 2023. Main change was the use of the E1DA Scaler to fix the impedance issues that is evident when using the E1DA ADC alone. This is an attempt to make a small review with measurements of the Muffsy MM phono preamplifier. It is a DIY kit so it is far from...
  5. Thomas_A

REW, RTA and distortion settings

I was wondering how to set and interpret distortion in the RTA window of REW. Below is one measurement of a phono stage. Clearly one can see 50 Hz noise around -95 dB. However, the N figure is at -75 dB. How is the noise (N) calculated? Is this what should be expected? I can't really see how the...
  6. Thomas_A

Topping D10s noise via Mac mini

I did some initial experiments with the D10s and Cosmos in the Cosmos thread, and got some weird 100 Hz noise when D10s was connected to Mac mini. Since this seems to be related more to the D10s and Mac mini I made a separate thread. The noise profile, measured with macbook/E1DA on battery...
  7. Thomas_A

The jitter problem in Marantz NR1510/1710 - ground problem?

Both the Marantz NR1510 that Amir reviewed and the NR1710 that I measured both suffer from 100 Hz jitter noise in the digital section that previous models lacked. These models have also added a RIAA input and a chassie GND for grounding. The signal ground appears to the connected to chassis at...
  8. Thomas_A

Speaker setup poll 2: stereo vs multichannel vs both (added: headphone setups)

As a follow-up of the poll https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/which-speaker-setup-best-describes-your-primary-audio-system.37604/ I would be interesting to find out how many of you that have only stereo, only multichannel or both (i.e. two different systems). Headphone...
  9. Thomas_A

How does this in-room recording sounds like to you?

Recorded with in-ear mics at LP upmixed to 4.2.2 (Dolby Atmos). Filtered a bit in the bass to be better suited to Harman-curve headphones. I still hear issues in bass, but it's the best I can do. How does it sound to you using headphones...
  10. Thomas_A

Sound power surrounds?

Does anyone know how much power, on average, that goes to surround and Atmos speakers vs front speakers? If I use pre out front on my NR1710 and use it only for surronds and Atmos, I will save power for the internal amplifiers. But how much power is normally spent on those channels in movies and...
  11. Thomas_A

Speaker enclosure vibrations - a few measurements with accelerometer

There are been quite a number of threads dealing with vibrations in speaker cabinets, both in relation to "speaker feet" and vibrations in enclosures themselves. I recently took out my ACH01 accelerometer to do some measurements, both speaker feet and enclosures. There was some initial...
  12. Thomas_A

Harman curve without ear canal? HD650, DT150_100P, DT770 Pro 250 Ohm, Bose QC25 measured

Is there a harman curve for over-ears without the ear canal effect to be down-loaded somewhere? I.e. if you would measure with microphones located in the concha.
  13. Thomas_A

Some measurements of a vintage surge protection filter (Voltex)

Around 2002 I purchased a surge protection filter with (Voltex SP390 J/S) to reduce som surge sound spikes occurring from the amp when a lamp was switched on and off. These are some measurements I made at the time, first spikes with lamp on and off: With the filter, I did not get rid of the...
  14. Thomas_A

Ideal response of near vs farfield speakers?

Take an ideal speaker in farfield listening and use it for nearfield. Will it sound identical? If not should speakers be designed differently depending on listening distance? Not sure if this has been a topic before. Link to that thread if so.
  15. Thomas_A

New small kit arrived - Atmos top front speakers

Just painted and will try finish it in the weekend. Will take away the cheap Onkyo Dolby Atmos enables roof firing speakers that doesn’t work as intended. I think top front will add more to the ambience. Speaker kit is Ino Audio Ambience 1.
  16. Thomas_A

Quality of HDMI cables has decreased over time?

Don't know if this has been discussed before, but anyway, FYI. "The study investigated characteristic EMC parameters of ready-made connecting devices (RMCD) of the types Coaxial and HDMI with regards to EMC quality of the products. It was shown, that only 10-11% of all assessed RMCD (both...
  17. Thomas_A

"Statistics of natural reverberation enable perceptual separation of sound and space"

I just read this one - and according to the results we decode sound and space as long as the reverberation is natural for the specific environment. Adding synthetic reverberation not consistent with those natural ones were detected as "synthetic". https://www.pnas.org/content/113/48/E7856 Any...
  18. Thomas_A

Headphone response for hearing tests?

Perhaps this has been in other threads, but unable to find it. I understand that a headphone must be very accurate to evaluate hearing. Should there be a special curve for headphones when testing for hearing/audiograms?
  19. Thomas_A

Methods for measuring position of phantom sound sources?

In another forum there is a discussion whether and how stereo systems differ in terms of how phantom images are localised when you move seating position in relation to speakers. In some systems the image (e.g. center dialogue) tilts to the nearest speaker when moving towards that, in other...
  20. Thomas_A

A few measurements of the Marantz NR1710 slim line AV amp (update jan 2024, power amp section)

An update of measurements in post 16. I just made some simple measurements via pre out of my slim line Marantz NR1710. Not having much advanced equipment but my 18 year old M-Audio Transit DAC and ADC was used to test it in various ways. It only supports 44,1/16 bit when used both ways...
Top Bottom