• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Some measurements of a vintage surge protection filter (Voltex)

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Around 2002 I purchased a surge protection filter with (Voltex SP390 J/S) to reduce som surge sound spikes occurring from the amp when a lamp was switched on and off. These are some measurements I made at the time, first spikes with lamp on and off:

1645649060646.png

With the filter, I did not get rid of the spikes, but the were at least lowered in level:
page1image1736416

After som use I noticed some occasional and audible static-induced noise using the device:

page1image1736864

This was also much lower when removing the device:
page1image1736640

This was very repeatable, also tested in another house with completely different equipment.

The result was discussed at ren.audio at the time, but I think the reason for the induced noise was never clarified. I do have the unit still somewhere, but not in use. If I remember correctly I also had heard relay clicking now and then from my amp with the device connected.

Any idea what could have caused these effects of noise?

Top Bottom